Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

MIPS Helmet Question: Loss of Aero Advantage
Quote | Reply
I currently ride with a Giro Air Attack Shield helmet, as it seemed to provide an aero advantage on race day and could act as a good all around helmet. I must have been under a rock or something, but I just became aware of the MIPS technology, so I have been considering moving to a POC Octal AVIP or Smith Overtake helmet to get the benefit of this technology. Would there be a significant aero advantage loss moving from the Air Attack to either the POC or Smith helmets?

Thanks in advance

Quote Reply
Re: MIPS Helmet Question: Loss of Aero Advantage [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really appreciate the quick reply. I was familiar with POC helmets, but the Smith Optics helmets were new to me. I will look into these a bit more to see if there is any additional independent information or testing available on these helmets to see if one provides better aerodynamics or if they are basically the same. Thanks again.

Why not an evade? From what I remember it tested very well on some people.
Quote Reply
Re: MIPS Helmet Question: Loss of Aero Advantage [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Basically I want to take advantage of the MIPS technology. I got in an accident a couple of years ago during a race and luckily my helmet at the time (Rudy Wingspan) did its job and prevented any head trauma. After taking some time off from racing I am gearing up to get back at it. Today I came across an article discussing new cycling helmets for 2015, in which they discussed the Smith Optics Overtake with MIPS. After being involved in a crash, I guess I'm extra sensitive to it, so if I can get a helmet with the latest safety features I figured I would explore it more. Thanks

Protect your head, train harder.

Heads are irreplaceable. Seconds can be made up.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: MIPS Helmet Question: Loss of Aero Advantage [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sound advice. Thanks

It's always hard to believe non-independent testing using a custom methodology, but if Smith are claiming that their helmet is only one second slower than the Evade, it can't be that much slower.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: MIPS Helmet Question: Loss of Aero Advantage [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georged wrote:
but if Smith are claiming that their helmet is only one second slower than the Evade, it can't be that much slower.

hmmm

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: MIPS Helmet Question: Loss of Aero Advantage [Bville] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bville wrote:
Basically I want to take advantage of the MIPS technology. I got in an accident a couple of years ago during a race and luckily my helmet at the time (Rudy Wingspan) did its job and prevented any head trauma. After taking some time off from racing I am gearing up to get back at it. Today I came across an article discussing new cycling helmets for 2015, in which they discussed the Smith Optics Overtake with MIPS. After being involved in a crash, I guess I'm extra sensitive to it, so if I can get a helmet with the latest safety features I figured I would explore it more. Thanks

Is there any evidence that MIPS actually works? Interested in additional head protection (I got hit by a car last year) but not interested in false security.
Quote Reply
Re: MIPS Helmet Question: Loss of Aero Advantage [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is MIPS?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: MIPS Helmet Question: Loss of Aero Advantage [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DUDE.... google.

;)

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: MIPS Helmet Question: Loss of Aero Advantage [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's this Google you speak of?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Bville and All,

This might be interesting:

http://www.helmets.org/helmet10preview.htm

http://www.helmets.org/helmet14.htm

Excerpt:

"There are new models in 2014 that are worth a look if you need a new helmet. The trend continues toward the compact, rounder, smoother profile that we think is best when you crash. But there is still no verifiable major advance in impact performance, ventilation or wearability this year that would compel you to replace your current helmet.

A slip-plane addition to some helmets exploded in the market in late 2014 when Bell bought a large chunk of the MIPS patent holder company. Other manufacturers have quickly followed. We still regard MIPS as unproven technology unless you have a helmet that couples so closely to your head that you can't move it. Your scalp is nature's MIPS. We have more on that on our MIPS page. "

http://www.helmets.org/mips.htm

Excerpts:

Summary: MIPS has a patent on using a concept called the slip plane in a helmet. It may or may not help you avoid rotational injury in a crash.
Lab tests demonstrate that you want the outside of your helmet to slide when you hit the pavement, not stick and jerk your neck.

Rounder, slicker helmets are proven to do that better.

MIPS and slip planes A Swedish company called Multi-directional Impact Protection System - MIPS - has revived and patented the slip plane concept, using two layers in the helmet to help the head rotate slightly on impact. The hope is to reduce the rotational component of an impact, thought to be a prime brain injury mechanism and related to concussion.

From one manufacturer in 2009, MIPS developed marketing momentum after a 2013 article in Bicycling magazine praised it as the only new helmet technology available. We found six manufacturers in September 2013. In 2014 Bell bought a substantial part of the MIPS company, and other manufacturers are scrambling to put MIPS helmets on the US market, with more than ten already developed for 2015. Does it work? Do you need it? We can not answer those questions below, but here is the story.

The first POC helmet with MIPS has two concentric layers, held in place by a pin that breaks and lets the shells slip for about 15 mm upon impact. The layer interface is coated with Teflon. All subsequent helmets we have seen have just a thin layer of uncoated polycarbonate plastic inside the normal helmet liner. It slips, but hold it down hard with your thumb and you can hear it creak against the EPS liner, indicating friction.

Your skin does not do that. MIPS says that the helmet is supposed to have a layer of slippery fabric between the foam and the polycarbonate insert, but that turns out to be just small fabric pads on some point. We saw MIPS models from nine manufacturers at the September 2014 Interbike show. None of them had a full layer of sliding enabler fabric, and we found spots on all of them where the polycarbonate MIPS layer contacted bare EPS. In addition, the inserts are sliced up to avoid blocking vents in most helmets. The MIPS layer cuts down on ventilation where it impinges on vents.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: MIPS Helmet Question: Loss of Aero Advantage [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Neal, this is a lot of good information. I ended up ordering a Smith Overtake. The MIPS technology might just work as well as my scalp, but I figure it can't be a bad thing to have. Also, it doesn't hurt that aerodynamically it seemed to test well. Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my post.

Any comments on noise? Is this a quieter or noisier helmet?
One would think it would be cooler, but some people say its hot.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: MIPS Helmet Question: Loss of Aero Advantage [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't received it yet. I ordered through Art's Cyclery and they don't receive shipment until May 5th. I'm hoping to have it before May 9th, first race of the season. I'll let you know what I think.

That would be great!

Quote Reply
Re: MIPS Helmet Question: Loss of Aero Advantage [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like the shipment was delayed again...won't be in until June 12th now.

I wonder what's up.
Thanks for letting me know.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giro just went MIPS:
http://www.giro.com/us_en/mips/

Synthe to be out in the fall of 2015. The rest appear to be available now.
Quote Reply