Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe bike course change [Zanne E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know I'm crazy, but...

I don't do a race for the scenery. I want a race. IMLT will still be a race. Fast guys will still be fast. A race done properly is tough no matter the distance, altitude, temperature, etc.

I tend to do better on climbing races, but, I suspect that when I'm done I'll have felt like there was plenty of climbing (assuming I do the race, and don't blow up!).

I usually say enjoy the journey, but, I think I'll actually enjoy the party, food, beer, etc. afterwards. And, if there's no smoke - the scenery too :-)

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe bike course change [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave,

Unfortunately I always have another announcing gig on that weekend so it never seems to work for me. I will havea crew of athletes up there racing ... they
in fact are for the most part disappointed about the course change (though all of them don't care much for the bike path in Truckee) ... Also, i learned last Fall that my body isn't ready to race
a 70.3 ... get through it, sure, but I simply don't have a use for that. So when I can race an OD race solid start to finish I'll be back

Best,

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe bike course change [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave Latourette wrote:
Dave,

Unfortunately I always have another announcing gig on that weekend so it never seems to work for me. I will havea crew of athletes up there racing ... they
in fact are for the most part disappointed about the course change (though all of them don't care much for the bike path in Truckee) ... Also, i learned last Fall that my body isn't ready to race
a 70.3 ... get through it, sure, but I simply don't have a use for that. So when I can race an OD race solid start to finish I'll be back

Best,

Yep, I understand which is why I only do OD stuff also. The 70.3 will be for fun and the experience. Wife has a great time there so another reason to do it.
Folks could use it as a great training event and not worry about racing it.

You should come race Auburn OD this year. Always a great event.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
glenshire was always the better way to go. i put on a triathlon on those roads in 1982 ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe bike course change [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan, you going to come up and race the IMLT 70.3 this year?

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i don't think i can do it, because i think i'm going to be doing a gravel bike ride in the alps right then. but i have to see if that's actually going to happen.

if you want a piece of me, i think i'll come up and give you that chance at donner. and i'm planning on racing WF long course. and probably june lake. and at least one of the xterras in tahoe.

you don't race halves do you?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe bike course change [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
I tend to do better on climbing races, but, I suspect that when I'm done I'll have felt like there was plenty of climbing (assuming I do the race, and don't blow up!).

The more I think about it, the more this makes sense. I was initially bummed about the lack of climbing, but I still plan on racing hard the entire time. Saying I KQ'd at Tahoe, regardless of the course, will be awesome. Aging up to 30-34 will be exciting too since those guys know how to party.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i don't think i can do it, because i think i'm going to be doing a gravel bike ride in the alps right then. but i have to see if that's actually going to happen.

if you want a piece of me, i think i'll come up and give you that chance at donner. and i'm planning on racing WF long course. and probably june lake. and at least one of the xterras in tahoe.

you don't race halves do you?

Okay, lets do Donner OD. I am already signed up. If you need a place to stay , let me know. I go up early the morning of the race and then help the race for a while after I am done.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe bike course change [tailgunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tailgunner wrote:
2013 was epic, and never to be repeated.

+1000 :)

Team Every Man Jack

http://www.teamemj.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've got peeps in truckee, so i'll stay there. thanks for the offer.

so, what's the play here? i've never been to this race, never done this race. but i'm familiar with the road. does this thing just climb up the pass, go down the other side, then come back? 25 miles of that? is that the bike course? because, if it is, then i wonder whether people just ride their road bikes on this thing or if they ride their tri bikes. what do you do?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i've got peeps in truckee, so i'll stay there. thanks for the offer.

so, what's the play here? i've never been to this race, never done this race. but i'm familiar with the road. does this thing just climb up the pass, go down the other side, then come back? 25 miles of that? is that the bike course? because, if it is, then i wonder whether people just ride their road bikes on this thing or if they ride their tri bikes. what do you do?

If things change, let me know.

You just climb right up the mountain after the swim for like 20 minutes, biking up and down a little at the top of the mountain, they fly down the back side, turn around and repeat back. This is the only race that scares me to death that I am going to get killed biking down into Donner. I have had my bike start the terrible shaking. So I go down real real slow on my brakes!!!

Since I only have a tri bike I have no choice. What I see is more important than the bike is gearing!! I just fly by folks going up the hills with my 50/34 11/32. And so far has saved my legs for some pretty good runs.
So I assume the best would be a road bike with good gearing. I do it with a disc which again I hear is stupid on a big hill route. I just do not have any racing wheels other than my disc and 808 front.

The back part of the run is really hilly. The run is like 6.6 miles long.

My favorite race in Northern Calif.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I have had my bike start the terrible shaking. So I go down real real slow on my brakes!!!"

i am glad to hear that. this is definitely the place i want to race you ;-)

"
The run is like 6.6 miles long."

yes, it seemed to me like around the lake must be longer than a 10k.

okay, i'm in. i'll enter. mano a mano, bro!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"I have had my bike start the terrible shaking. So I go down real real slow on my brakes!!!"

i am glad to hear that. this is definitely the place i want to race you ;-)

"
The run is like 6.6 miles long."

yes, it seemed to me like around the lake must be longer than a 10k.

okay, i'm in. i'll enter. mano a mano, bro!

Cool. I suck on the bike so yep, this will allow you to get a big lead and I can see if I can run you down.

So any other STers want to join us at the Donner race?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I suck on the bike so yep, this will allow you to get a big lead and I can see if I can run you down."

well, look, monty can chime in here, you'd better be wearing your red ball jets if you think you're going to run me down. besides, i really don't think you're slow on the bike. i might have to run you down.

monty says you're about a 40-flat, or so, runner off the bike, which is damned fast for those in our old farts category. and you ran that very impressive standalone half last year. but slowman takes pride in his run. i think we should bet a dollar on the race, and then another dollar side bet just on the run split. do you think we can lay any of our action off down in reno?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"I suck on the bike so yep, this will allow you to get a big lead and I can see if I can run you down."

well, look, monty can chime in here, you'd better be wearing your red ball jets if you think you're going to run me down. besides, i really don't think you're slow on the bike. i might have to run you down.

monty says you're about a 40-flat, or so, runner off the bike, which is damned fast for those in our old farts category. and you ran that very impressive standalone half last year. but slowman takes pride in his run. i think we should bet a dollar on the race, and then another dollar side bet just on the run split. do you think we can lay any of our action off down in reno?

Yep, I run sub 40 last season, but not by much. But as I continue to get older, who knows if the legs will hold up.

I never race to "beat" anyone. I have out there just to have fun for myself. I know I have never been good at this stuff since I have no ego to fall back on.
But I LOVE to race against friends since it makes me work harder. But other than that, I am just happy to be out with folks and if I am last, great.

If you want to bet, no problemo, but how about a big ice cream cone? :) I cannot lose this way since I get to eat one whether I "win" or "lose".
I have few folks in our AG who beat me on the run, so this should be fun if I can stay healthy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty bummed they took out more climbing, sounds like the original was the best. I ended up at Tahoe through a transfer entry from 2014 Ironman LP, broke my back and couldn't do it. Was in the water when they cancelled last year. Took the Tahoe option and planning on coming back in Sept loved the area and the course. Hope the weather/elements cooperate this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe bike course change [nickvox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickvox wrote:
Pretty bummed they took out more climbing, sounds like the original was the best. I ended up at Tahoe through a transfer entry from 2014 Ironman LP, broke my back and couldn't do it. Was in the water when they cancelled last year. Took the Tahoe option and planning on coming back in Sept loved the area and the course. Hope the weather/elements cooperate this year.

Weather was perfect last year. Just one idiot who started the fire.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

Reading the banter back and forth between you and Dave has renewed my faith in man kind (Cave-man kind - that is! :-) ) I love it.

I just may have to show up to watch you two geezers go at it! Yea, me? Like I'm some young whipper snapper, Ha!

1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Reading the banter back and forth between you and Dave has renewed my faith in man kind (Cave-man kind - that is! :-) ) I love it.

I just may have to show up to watch you two geezers go at it! Yea, me? Like I'm some young whipper snapper, Ha!

Keith, you need to come race with us also.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
manofthewoods wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Love the race - love the area, love the lake. Not great in my schedule - so... We'll see

1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
manofthewoods wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Love the race - love the area, love the lake. Not great in my schedule - so... We'll see

Hunting season time I bet

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
manofthewoods wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
manofthewoods wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Hunting season time I bet

Not even close - (that's Sept - Dec (ish)) would/could affect IMLT or Kona. No I like to back off for a few weeks in mid to late July.

1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply

Prev Next