Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [Drdan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love that race! There are few things better than racing in the morning and hitting Thanksgiving dinner that night! Just wish I could race them all!

Website - Follow Me On Strava - Follow Me On Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [Symonds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeff!
What is your prediction for Oceanside?

I'm thinking 1.Brent, 2.the Colonel, 3.Wurtele
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [Drdan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry everyone, I kind of burnt myself out with post race stuff. I want to make sure I get an answer to everyone that took the time to ask questions now that I am mentally recharged!

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it out to the BMO Okanagan Marathon this year as it falls on the same weekend as Kona. I love that race! It is a great time for running and there really isn't much better than racing in the morning and demolishing Thanksgiving Turkey at night!

Hopefully I'll be able to race something else in Kelowna to make up for missing it!

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [ErickBar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I weigh somewhere between 160-165. I try to take the Fedor Emelianenko approach and not worry about my weigh or being lean, just do whatever I need to do to perform at my best. My philosophy on nutrition is to eat as healthy as I can to maximize my energy and performance in workouts. I find worrying about weight for myself, and for others I have talked to, almost always leads to sickness injury or bad races. No if only I could have Fedor stoic intimidation and complete lack of any wasted movement, but that just ain't me!

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just trying to look like you! But seriously, I had been trying to grow out the flow since last August but shaved it all off the day before the race. It all came down to the question "is this hair helping me get to the finish line faster"? The answer was no. Even it was a miniscule amount, I felt like the long hair was heavier, hotter and aerodynamically slower on the run. As someone who waxes his bike the night before a race, I know you can appreciate that!

In hindsight i will take Craig Alexander's post race advice and shave my head a week out from the race as the Sunburn on the top of my head was pretty wicked!

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I appreciate you posting the photo! I absolutely loved Melbourne and can't wait to come back next year!

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [blackthugcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not sure if you mean you want to adopt me or be adopted by my parents? Being adopted by my parents would be a better way to go! They are an amazing support crew. They came out to Melbourne to watch and were everywhere on race day. My mom can reel off the stats and PB's of almost every pro and my dad has multiple sheets of paper with race splits and calculations that he uses to determine how I am doing and where they need to be to best cheer me on.

I don't remember doing too much recovery in the recovery area. I think like most people we let our guard down after an Ironman. Ideally I would have like to get a massage, eat some greasy food. But what I actually did was report to drug testing, drank a coke, had a G.I. shower and did as many interviews as I could. As I told one reporter, "let's get it done now, because it will sink in my tomorrow and I'll might become a total jerk. I do like hanging out in the recovery area afterward to swap war stories with fellow athletes. I say athletes becasue I don't like segregating age groupers and pros. We are all the same and all go through the same thing and have great stories to tell! That is what makes are sport so amazing! I did get to see fellow Vancouverite Brendan Naef finish in a huge PB of 8:49 which was pretty cool as well. One of my best memories of the race was coming back to recovery area later that night and listening to story of an elementry and high school Jon Gresl, friend who completed his first Ironman. he and 5 friends trained in in through a real Canadian winter in Fort McMorray to do the race and hearing there stories just reminded me what Ironman racing is all about.

The week after I didn't do too much. It was swamped with doing interviews and thank you and slowtwitching and what not. I was able to get for a swim on the Tuesday after the race which was awesome for getting things moving. I flew out form Melbourne at 11:30pm on Wednesday and it was a 31 hour trip through China. I was pretty tired from that so didn't do too much training. but did get another swim and a bike and run in that week. I got in to see my Physiotherapist Sean Campbell when I got back to Vancouver to make sure I was alright biomechanically from the race. During the next week I did a light activity on thing a day. During this time I don't feel like I need to be training but rather I just love swimming biking and running. And even more so when you don't feel like you need to be doing it. Just doing it purely for fun. I did eat a few burgers during that first week. I also make sure I do things that I neglect or wouldn't do during a hard training phase to mentally recover.

It is now three weeks since the race and post race stuff has finally died down and I have started back into a structured training program.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! I left my wallet in Australia so I didn't get to try it. I can only imagine that it would have been "Everything, Everything that I wanted (that I wanted)!"

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

Usually somewhere between 8-9 hours. If I get 9 I feel great, 8 I feel good, 7 I feel passible, anything less than 7 I am a wreck. I don't nap all that often but if I do it 20mins. That seems to be the best amount for me.

I get sick fairly often, maybe 3-4 times a year. I am lucky in that if I train to much my immune system breaks down before my body does and I get injured. I have found that over the years I gotten sick less. I think this is a result of improvements to my sleep quality, eating quality and understanding of my body and how I am feeling. Going easy when I need a bit a rest. It is also the adaption to the training and the gradual improvements in the training load I am able to handle.

It all depends on how sick I am but I usually stop training when I know for sure it is a sickness and start training lightly again when I am back on the upswing. This usually means a day or two off of training and a couple of really easy day. I am probably not the best to ask about this as I am a hammerhead and always want to get back as soon as possible.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [tedc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! Mike Brown had told me he is working on it for Great White North!

Hope to see you soon!

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will see! I went out last minute last Wednesday to help out with BlueSeventy at the North Short Athletics Tri Night. I have been swamped and don't really have time to plan something but I love talking to fellow triathletes so if an opportunity comes up I will gladly do it and let you know. I might see if Speed Theory wants to do something soon.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [dfquigley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! It's great to represent everyone back home in the Okanagan.

I am based in Vancouver right now as my girlfriend is finishing up her masters at UBC. I am back and forth to the Okanagan a fair bit and love training there. My parents still live there and I was able to do a great block of training there leading up IM Caanada last year. I do most of my training here in Vancouver. I have always found it better for me to keep conisistency rather than go here there and everywhere for training camps. Having said that, going to Melbourne a couple of months early to train worked really well. Plus my girlfriend liked "not having cereal boxes all over the counter" when I was gone! So I might do that a bit more.

Most of my training on the bike and run is done solo. I am a big beleiver in training how you race and I like getting my head wrapped around being out there by yourself for hours. It's also tough to find others that are planning on doing a similar session and at a similar speed. I also like it from a time management approach. You just get the work done. I am also suceptible to racing in practice and going to hard in a workout and compromise the next days sessions. Having said that as I mature and can control that mentality I will look to find guys that can push me on the bike. I also like to work out with other that are preparing for the same race I am for the mental benefit. It can be motivating and calming just to hear where they are at with training and how they are going through the same feelings emotionally and physcially that I am.

Swimming is a different beast. Swimming with groups is great. I have a hard time judging my speed in the water so having other faster swimmers helps me find that fast effiecient pace. It also helps to prepare for the dynamic of swimming in groups like you do in a race. I also find that I can smash myself in the water and recover quickly. But also for the some of the same reasons as biking and running, I do session alone.

Best of luck in the build up to Challenge Penticton!

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [dfquigley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

Penticton 2013 by far! That was next level ugliness. Between the shredded finger tips on my left hands, the sweat in road rash, and my busted up hip that hurt! Then stack on normal Ironman pain! I think that really alllowed me to find a new level of suffering that reset my standard for future racing. It doesn't matter what I do from here on out, It will never be covered in blood beating Macca in your hometown Badass! I guess you could say I have peaked!

I definitely not in the red zone all day. The start of the swim is all out, but then you settle in. The bike in Melbourne was off and on with some big efforts early and chill once I was in the pack. I definitely felt those early efforts stack up later in the ride. The run is pretty chill until about halfway. I like to think of it as a long run that hurts a lot. That is basically how it feels for the first half and then it get tough. You need a way higher level of mental focus to hold that pace in the second half. It would probably make me sound like a badass to say I was in hurt box the entire run, but that wouldn't be true (unless you crash at 60+ km/h). You do keep your foot on the gas the whole way but I think in order to get the finish line as fast as possible you need to keep that first half somewhat relaxed. I always want to make the last part of the race the hardest and hurt the most. If you start burying yourself to early you don't have the energy or mental energy to make that happen.

Best of luck with your season as well!

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't have a great swim, so I am probably not the best to take advice from on this topic. In an Ironman build I try and swim 15-20km's per week. If I can I like to do at least one session per week in the open water or Kits Pool (137m long!). I never did a swim to bike brick. I have only done these in preparation for ITU races or big 70.3. I haven't had a problem going from swimming to Ironman Pace riding. I don't think it's something you really need to train and for most people it's probably better to feel like junk and hold back on the first part of the bike. I could probably do that workout. I would be stoked and feel like I had a great swim if I did. The closest I can think of that would be similar was Elliot Holtham (2014 Ironman Australia Champ and by the world most underrated pro) did a workout where we had 10x100 scm on 1:20 in the middle of a 3k workout. I was really feeling the magic that day and was leading them and came in on 1:07 and 1:08's. I remember the rest of the workout being tough after that. I can't remember if I was catching the tail end of somebody in our lane, but I may have been.

I did feel like my swim training was a lot better than my swim performance on race day. However, although I wasn't in the pack I wanted to be I got out of the water feeling great so all the swimming wasn't for not.

I swam a couple of summers growing up. I think that laid the foundation for my stroke. I only learned freestyle when I swam, so my other strokes my backstroke and breaststroke are awful! I also swam with a high school group after I graduated. I was swimming up to 9 sessions a week ranging from 90mins to 2 hours. I made huge progress in my swimming and more importantly learned how to train like a swimmer. I also solved all of the highschool kids relationship problems! If I had a time machine I don't think I would tell myself to swim more when I was young. I think having to work at swimming had increased my drive and work ethic and has helped me more than any time I might give up on the water. Plus I think I can swim with some more hard training I can be front pack in a big non wetsuit swim like Kona like I was in Vegas 2011.

But seriously don't take my advice on swimming as gospel. Listen to RealAlbertan or MarkyV. Those guys are fishes! Also listen to JonnyO I learned a ton about swimming and life from him and DrTommy driving up to Summerland to swim the year the Penticton Pool was closed. Plus I think he has just copied everything from Paulo Sousa who is responsible for the biggest Canadian triathlon breakthrough of 2014.... Trevor Wurtele's swimming! If it was like everything else Trevor has achieved the secret was hard work!

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [flyrunride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [Cape_Horn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Congrats on your race as well! I had an amazing time in Melbourne and Bendigo and will definitely be back next year to defend the title! If you see me don't forget to say hi!

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a huge country fan. JR FM in Vancouver and Country 100.7 in Penticton are always locked in on my radio. It was also a dream come true to be feature on a local country radio station, SoCountry radio, with Dennis Dumas Walker after winning Challenge Penticton this past year.

Favorite country is a toss up between George Canyon and Paul Brandt. George Canyon is awesome, I saw him open up for Toby Kieth here in Penticton and he should have been the main act! Paul Brandt probably edges him out because he completed in the BMO Okanagan Marathon in 2009when I was there racing the half. He did it without any fanfare or hype. Like the rest of us he just wanted to push himself and do something epic! I shook his hand afterwards, it was pretty awesome.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [Zulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No problem! Sorry it took so long to answer the rest of the questions.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had it 1.Trevor 2. Brent 3. Lionel 4 Taylor Reid

I wasn't perfect, but the boys showed up and it was awesome! Excited to see more from them this year!

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [Symonds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the updates Jeff!
I'll keep an eye out for any events you plan with Speed Theory - i'm sure myself and many other fans in Vancouver would like to congratulate/meet you in person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Symonds wrote:
I didn't have a great swim, so I am probably not the best to take advice from on this topic. In an Ironman build I try and swim 15-20km's per week. If I can I like to do at least one session per week in the open water or Kits Pool (137m long!). I never did a swim to bike brick. I have only done these in preparation for ITU races or big 70.3. I haven't had a problem going from swimming to Ironman Pace riding. I don't think it's something you really need to train and for most people it's probably better to feel like junk and hold back on the first part of the bike. I could probably do that workout. I would be stoked and feel like I had a great swim if I did. The closest I can think of that would be similar was Elliot Holtham (2014 Ironman Australia Champ and by the world most underrated pro) did a workout where we had 10x100 scm on 1:20 in the middle of a 3k workout. I was really feeling the magic that day and was leading them and came in on 1:07 and 1:08's. I remember the rest of the workout being tough after that. I can't remember if I was catching the tail end of somebody in our lane, but I may have been.
I did feel like my swim training was a lot better than my swim performance on race day. However, although I wasn't in the pack I wanted to be I got out of the water feeling great so all the swimming wasn't for not.

I swam a couple of summers growing up. I think that laid the foundation for my stroke. I only learned freestyle when I swam, so my other strokes my backstroke and breaststroke are awful! I also swam with a high school group after I graduated. I was swimming up to 9 sessions a week ranging from 90mins to 2 hours. I made huge progress in my swimming and more importantly learned how to train like a swimmer. I also solved all of the high school kids relationship problems! If I had a time machine I don't think I would tell myself to swim more when I was young. I think having to work at swimming had increased my drive and work ethic and has helped me more than any time I might give up on the water. Plus I think I can swim with some more hard training I can be front pack in a big non wetsuit swim like Kona like I was in Vegas 2011.

But seriously don't take my advice on swimming as gospel. Listen to RealAlbertan or MarkyV. Those guys are fishes! Also listen to JonnyO I learned a ton about swimming and life from him and DrTommy driving up to Summerland to swim the year the Penticton Pool was closed. Plus I think he has just copied everything from Paulo Sousa who is responsible for the biggest Canadian triathlon breakthrough of 2014.... Trevor Wurtele's swimming! If it was like everything else Trevor has achieved the secret was hard work!

Interesting perspective, most guys would like to do the time machine and swim 10 yrs while growing up. In any event, thanks for all the info. Doing 10 x 100 scm on 1:20 holding 1:07-08 is some pretty quick swimming:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Jeff,

I'm sure you are ready for this thread to fade out, but I just wanted to thank you for coming back to answer all our questions.

Rock on,

Scott
Quote Reply

Prev Next