Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What am I missing from this general plan?
Quote | Reply
Fixed, this is my most basic plan for a training year.

http://www.midnightcarpenter.com/...aining_year_plan.pdf
Last edited by: Triagain2(FTDA): Mar 5, 15 12:15
Quote Reply
Re: What am I missing from this general plan? [Triagain2(FTDA)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Wow that's even more detailed then I get for my notes to myself that I write for my athletes. but I also do those notes while drinking a few delicious beers or in between ruining little kids evenings by destroying them on xbox. ymmv

2. Don't forget just like your shouldn't neglect your wife (I'm divorced so maybe that isn't the best analogy) you shouldn't neglect any intensity level completely all the time.

3. wow that's really specific, don't be afraid to be flexible. I'm not advocating for stretching though.

4. I might have mentioned this already, but wow that's really detailed. Maybe ponder that you need somewhere between 6-12 weeks to really maximize any one specific type of training.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Mar 5, 15 16:46
Quote Reply
Re: What am I missing from this general plan? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
1. Wow that's even more detailed then I get for my notes to myself that I write for my athletes. but I also do those notes while drinking a few delicious beers or in between ruining little kids evenings by destroying them on xbox. ymmv

It was thoughts rolling around in my head this morning, however instead of a napkin I had a laptop.

2. Don't forget just like your shouldn't neglect your wife (I'm divorced so maybe that isn't the best analogy) you shouldn't neglect any intensity level completely all the time.

The intensities noted on the right side are the intensity that are focused on, however I never intended to imply they were the sole training zones for that period. I will attempt to clarify it.

3. wow that's really specific, don't be afraid to be flexible. I'm not advocating for stretching though.

It is a general plan for the progression in training volume and focused goals, not sure that it is detailed as it is not prescriptive in any sense as far as hours etc and weekly workouts. That would need to be added based on knowledge of current fitness levels and the sport specific goals.

4. I might have mentioned this already, but wow that's really detailed. Maybe ponder that you need somewhere between 6-12 weeks to really maximize any one specific type of training.

I will look into this. Thanks for the thoughts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's great that you have specific goals and an outline for the whole season. It helps you focus on the now, knowing that in the next phase of your annual training plan, you know what you'll be aiming to do.

There seems to be a big jump in volume between your off-season and your pre-season phase 1. Going from Z1/2 on the bike to 5xweek of Z4-6 is potentially a recipe for disaster depending on how quickly you jump into it. Try to minimize risk but addressing strength/flexibility limiters in the offseason and getting a bike fit if you've never had one, evolved a lot as an athlete or had any injuries, etc.

What race distance are you targeting doing? Building up to 100-150% of race distance in pre-season phase 2 is good/bad depending on that.

It's definitely an aggressive plan to cycle 5x week, swim 3-4x week, and run 3x week, but achievable if you balance the intensities and volume to make sure you hit your key sessions weekly.

More thoughts:
  • Are you going for the 3 weeks 'on' 1 week recovery route? You may want to put something down about how you build your volume
  • Put some notes down on limiters and how you plan to address them (e.g. not flexible to get into a comfortable aero position; got a dead spot in your swim stroke; got a lazy kick on your run; etc.

Quote Reply
Re: What am I missing from this general plan? [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dado0583 wrote:
That's great that you have specific goals and an outline for the whole season. It helps you focus on the now, knowing that in the next phase of your annual training plan, you know what you'll be aiming to do.

There seems to be a big jump in volume between your off-season and your pre-season phase 1. Going from Z1/2 on the bike to 5xweek of Z4-6 is potentially a recipe for disaster depending on how quickly you jump into it. I really need to adjust that. That was meant to be total number of rides, not Z4-5 workouts! Try to minimize risk but addressing strength/flexibility limiters in the offseason and getting a bike fit if you've never had one, evolved a lot as an athlete or had any injuries, etc.

What race distance are you targeting doing? Building up to 100-150% of race distance in pre-season phase 2 is good/bad depending on that. Currently a triathlon that has lengths between oly and a half. That is why I left that number so broad.

It's definitely an aggressive plan to cycle 5x week, swim 3-4x week, and run 3x week, but achievable if you balance the intensities and volume to make sure you hit your key sessions weekly.

More thoughts:
  • Are you going for the 3 weeks 'on' 1 week recovery route? You may want to put something down about how you build your volume Good idea.
  • Put some notes down on limiters and how you plan to address them (e.g. not flexible to get into a comfortable aero position; got a dead spot in your swim stroke; got a lazy kick on your run; etc. Again very good idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great outline and it covers most things and the posts since have filled in most of the missing gaps. I see two major things missing and with the volume you've got yourself doing not a lot of room to fit them in. Injuries occur when you train train train in the 3 sports but neglect strength and conditioning. Sometimes we triathletes get so fixated on just being good at x,y,z that we cut out other beneficial exercise. You're far better off having a 2-3x a week mini circuit (20 min) to get your core and leg strength up. It's the easiest way to stay injury free and it also has speed benefits and finding the 20 minutes is not that difficult so this one should be less of a challenge. Secondly is recovery which is an after thought as well for most. Depending on your age you should be doing as much recovery as you are training (or at minimum a 2:1 ratio). This includes quality sleep, nutrition, stretching/foam rolling and massage therapy. There is some active recovery in there so you've got that part covered but a serious focus on this will keep you fresher, performing better and less prone to injury.

I'm not a coach but I've been fortunate enough to have great conversations with some of the best in our sport. One thing they tell me that separates the FOP from MOP athletes is a focus on these two rather than neglecting it for more training. I've seen this in my own progression and I'm confident it will be the main factor in 2015 being a breakout year for me. If you've already got these two items covered and just not plugged into your plan then you're in for one hell of a season my friend. Keep it up and good luck!!

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: cshowe80: Mar 6, 15 7:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You forgot 'Plan B'

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Re: What am I missing from this general plan? [COJO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plan B:

Drink beer and watch re-runs of breaking bad and the walking dead.
Quote Reply
Re: What am I missing from this general plan? [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cshowe80 wrote:
Great outline and it covers most things and the posts since have filled in most of the missing gaps. I see two major things missing and with the volume you've got yourself doing not a lot of room to fit them in. Injuries occur when you train train train in the 3 sports but neglect strength and conditioning. Sometimes we triathletes get so fixated on just being good at x,y,z that we cut out other beneficial exercise. You're far better off having a 2-3x a week mini circuit (20 min) to get your core and leg strength up. It's the easiest way to stay injury free and it also has speed benefits and finding the 20 minutes is not that difficult so this one should be less of a challenge. Secondly is recovery which is an after thought as well for most. Depending on your age you should be doing as much recovery as you are training (or at minimum a 2:1 ratio). This includes quality sleep, nutrition, stretching/foam rolling and massage therapy. There is some active recovery in there so you've got that part covered but a serious focus on this will keep you fresher, performing better and less prone to injury.

I'm not a coach but I've been fortunate enough to have great conversations with some of the best in our sport. One thing they tell me that separates the FOP from MOP athletes is a focus on these two rather than neglecting it for more training. I've seen this in my own progression and I'm confident it will be the main factor in 2015 being a breakout year for me. If you've already got these two items covered and just not plugged into your plan then you're in for one hell of a season my friend. Keep it up and good luck!!

Good thoughts on recovery and core work. I would place the core work into the off season plan along side hockey and XC skiing.
Quote Reply