Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: # of hardish runs/week [Printer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sometimes even JoeO goes wrong following JoeO's advice. But that was very kind. Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: # of hardish runs/week [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends how old you are.

In my 20's, 3

In my 30's, 2

Now I'm in my 40's I'm slowly getting to 1.

Here's an idea, go and spend a few weeks running hard and see what you can handle. Trial and error has worked for me over the last 25 years. I can't handle alot of high intensity training, maybe you can.

Go out and find what works best for you.
Quote Reply
Re: # of hardish runs/week [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dado0583 wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
One

For me, this. One hard track session. Perhaps a tempo run too but don't consider that 'hard'

Previously it was zero as I was trying to vanquish an injury-ridden history

If it's a true tempo run, then it definitely qualifies as hard.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: # of hardish runs/week [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It varies but I'd generalize it to be ~ half marathon pace for 30-60 minutes. I guess I enjoy it so don't think of it as 'hard'. It definitely leaves some residual fatigue versus an easy run, but can comfortably do the subsequent day's workout.

The track session I have to talk myself into doing each interval and normally lying on the floor after the last interval. The day after that is rest day because it would be difficult to do anything the next day.

(Track intervals are relatively new to me, so am guessing someone who comes from a track background might experience the opposite to me?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dado0583 wrote:
It varies but I'd generalize it to be ~ half marathon pace for 30-60 minutes. I guess I enjoy it so don't think of it as 'hard'. It definitely leaves some residual fatigue versus an easy run, but can comfortably do the subsequent day's workout.

The track session I have to talk myself into doing each interval and normally lying on the floor after the last interval. The day after that is rest day because it would be difficult to do anything the next day.

(Track intervals are relatively new to me, so am guessing someone who comes from a track background might experience the opposite to me?)

If I cannot train the next day, then for me, I did something way to hard in training. Now if I cannot train because the previous day was a race, well, I love to use this as an excuse for a day off.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: # of hardish runs/week [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I meant difficult as in, it would be at most an easy spin, or an easy swim. (It's also the last session of the week so there's some fatigue in my legs before the session starts).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dado0583 wrote:
I meant difficult as in, it would be at most an easy spin, or an easy swim. (It's also the last session of the week so there's some fatigue in my legs before the session starts).

I learned this the hard way a few years ago.

If I bike intervals one day, the next I just spin.

If I run my 90 minute run one day, I will not run the next. I always feel I need to give the legs a rest after a run.

Swim, never worried about that since I am so bad.

I always think about this type of threads. And what I keep coming back to is I see so many folks asking how can I do this hard or that hard, on the swim bike or run to get faster.
I then push back and say be careful and get attacked. But when you ask these folks do they train 12 months a year, are they are race weight, etc, well, they get from their results
what they give. Tough to be a top racer if you really only train as a weekend warrior.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I completely agree with everything you just said. My previous coach spent a year making me do 99% stuff as Z2 because I had injury problems. Whenever I departed from his advice and plans I ended up having slight issues and realising he was completely right. It's taken me another 18 months since then to find a balanced approach to having intensity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dado0583 wrote:
I completely agree with everything you just said. My previous coach spent a year making me do 99% stuff as Z2 because I had injury problems. Whenever I departed from his advice and plans I ended up having slight issues and realising he was completely right. It's taken me another 18 months since then to find a balanced approach to having intensity.

I have been able to train for a few years now without injury, in the Z2 stuff, which I believe is why my results have continued to improve.

Now with that said, I do like to race a lot which is where I get my speed work, but at least it means something.

So yep, you have one of the few coaches that I believe know what they are talking about.

Save the intensity for races.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Multiple ways to skin a cat and I think lots of Z2 works for most people. There are outliers though. A guy I work with grew up track sprinting and can run 400s all day long. I'm not going to tell him to only run Z2 because it would take the fun out and we already know he has minimal risk of injury in such sessions.

[Speaking of work, I should do more. Been on here wayyyy to much the last couple weeks]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dado0583 wrote:
Multiple ways to skin a cat and I think lots of Z2 works for most people. There are outliers though. A guy I work with grew up track sprinting and can run 400s all day long. I'm not going to tell him to only run Z2 because it would take the fun out and we already know he has minimal risk of injury in such sessions.

[Speaking of work, I should do more. Been on here wayyyy to much the last couple weeks]

Yep, for 99% of us, the best way to stay healthy and uninjured is to train 12 months a year at Z2.

For the lucky 1%, they can get away with anything.

I will play the odds.

Since most do not even come close to training 12 months a year, speed training is the last thing they need to worry about.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Since most do not even come close to training 12 months a year, speed training is the last thing they need to worry about.

Agreed!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
dado0583 wrote:

Yep, for 99% of us, the best way to stay healthy and uninjured is to train 12 months a year at Z2.

For the lucky 1%, they can get away with anything.

I will play the odds.

Funny that you don't actually even understand what training you do. You run at 5/10k race pace several times a week. You bike at 90-95% FTP several times a week. This isn't LSD or Z2 training.
Quote Reply

Prev Next