Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What sells out faster than IMAZ? Tempe 70.3 of course! [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, we won't have the same leverage with WTC to back out if it turns into a clusterfuck. The only info we get is "The three-loop (each loop is 18.5 miles) bike course is a relatively flat and winds through Tempe before offering some scenic vistas of the Sonoran desert" so I guess it didn't say "into" the desert (even though yes, Tempe is in a desert, just as L.A. is.....). But I am sure you can see the "desert" from many parts of the course, even if still n urban Tempe

I've done IMAZ, albeit way back in aught 8, when they still had somewhat of a smaller field (all athletes incl DNS listed as 3200 in 2014 vs. 2400 n 2008) and even then with a decent swim lap 2 of the bike started to get real crowded, and that was in a 30+ mile loop, not 18.

ALso did Silverman last year and compared the number of WTC athletes on that course compared to the last independent numbers (1500+ WTC vs 500 + in 2010) and not sure that open course can really accommodate that type of increase. Was happy to be in the AWA wave away from the crowd. An AWA wave would be pointless in Tempe due to loops

SOMA appears to have had 700 ish so it's at least double (and with the expected demand I have a hard time thinking WTC won't fully load this course with the max possible entrants. I am not a WTC hater, and actually like the product (evidence: Always considered SOMA but never really had the desire to do it, it becomes a WTC race and its on my radar, I'm sucked in like anyone else, they put on a good race).
Quote Reply
Re: What sells out faster than IMAZ? Tempe 70.3 of course! [dcsxtri10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been suggesting to anyone who asks me that Soma is NOT a good tune up for IMAZ, it puts a dent in a crucial part of their training build. When you add the risk of a crash, it compounds the issue. Just my opinion but I do agree very much with Brian and Rich.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: What sells out faster than IMAZ? Tempe 70.3 of course! [dcsxtri10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave,

Did you even bother to read all the things I've personally witnessed on the course? I'm sure that's not an all inclusive list.

That's at <900 athletes. You make the race 1500 or more and it's not going to get safer.

Now maybe you have no concerns for your safety, but I prefer bike courses to be more safe not less safe.

Maybe you've never seen anything bad happen on that course. If so I hope it stays that way for you.

I'm not "uptight" about anything. It'll sell out, no worries on that. Rich and I put out things/concerns we've seen/have on that course. Take them or leave them. Personally I think it's better to be aware of what your getting into than not. ymmv

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Mar 5, 15 12:49
Quote Reply
Re: What sells out faster than IMAZ? Tempe 70.3 of course! [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can see if on Rio Salado, Curry, those roads are the most problematic and if they were closed more complety it would help.

Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Dave,

Did you even bother to read all the things I've personally witnessed on the course? I'm sure that's not an all inclusive list.

That's at <900 athletes. You make the race 1500 or more and it's not going to get safer.

Now maybe you have no concerns for your safety, but I prefer bike courses to be more safe not less safe.

Maybe you've never seen anything bad happen on that course. If so I hope it stays that way for you.
_______

I've seen all the things you mentioned and many others at TTL races ..... but they're fairly uncommon and people have medical issues of all sorts at the best run of races.
I appreciate your concerns, but I have faith in WTC putting on a safe race for me ..... as they have many times ... and I'm comfortable they'll do that here again.
I will be there race day .... and I suspect you will be also ;-)

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hmm..... So I guess my coach is stupid having me do a 1/2 about that same time frame out from a full. Ill have to tell him that the all mighty has spoken. Love that there can only be one way of thinking to some people and every other way is wrong. Sometimes listening to people talk about their ideas on how to train is worse than the door to door Jehovah's that i have deal with from time to time.
Quote Reply
Re: What sells out faster than IMAZ? Tempe 70.3 of course! [RN86314] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RN86314 wrote:
hmm..... So I guess my coach is stupid having me do a 1/2 about that same time frame out from a full. Ill have to tell him that the all mighty has spoken. Love that there can only be one way of thinking to some people and every other way is wrong. Sometimes listening to people talk about their ideas on how to train is worse than the door to door Jehovah's that i have deal with from time to time.

How does your coach's resume stack up to Stover and Strauss' resumes?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: What sells out faster than IMAZ? Tempe 70.3 of course! [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/quote]

How does your coach's resume stack up to Stover and Strauss' resumes?[/quote]

He does very well for himself and his athletes. I know many here on ST that use him and have all accomplished their goals. Better yet he doesn't feel the need to bash others because his training ideology is different than theirs.
Quote Reply
Re: What sells out faster than IMAZ? Tempe 70.3 of course! [RN86314] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RN86314 wrote:

How does your coach's resume stack up to Stover and Strauss' resumes?[/quote]

He does very well for himself and his athletes. I know many here on ST that use him and have all accomplished their goals. Better yet he doesn't feel the need to bash others because his training ideology is different than theirs.[/quote]_______

This is getting good now ;-)

1) Which coach is the tallest ?
2) Who weighs the most?
3) Who can bench press the most?

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dcsxtri10 wrote:
RN86314 wrote:

How does your coach's resume stack up to Stover and Strauss' resumes?

He does very well for himself and his athletes. I know many here on ST that use him and have all accomplished their goals. Better yet he doesn't feel the need to bash others because his training ideology is different than theirs.[/quote]
_______

This is getting good now ;-)

1) Which coach is the tallest ?
2) Who weighs the Least?
3) Who can bench press the most?

Dave[/quote]
there fixed that for you...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You forgot, who has the biggest unit?

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amen Brian.

Like you, I've done Soma like 5 times in the past 6-7 years, and clusterfuck would be an understatement on the bike course. Adding like 1000 people to that = complete shitshow. Soma is fine at a few hundred people, but man, I'd be verrrry nervous on this bike course with WTC like numbers.

For people those who have never done it there are that least 4 - 180 degree turns), tons of corners and some quite narrow roads with maybe 4 feet of road to go around a cone. Simply one of the most technical courses I've ever done in 25 years of tri.

That said, it was always a great time as the weather is hot and sunny, the water 70s, the winds are non-existant. The run can be a hot death march though (as witnessed by my pathetic run last year).

I was gonna sign up but now thinking twice, which sucks because its comes at the perfect time and so close to my condo.

I think I'll be at Marquee. Sue
Quote Reply
Re: What sells out faster than IMAZ? Tempe 70.3 of course! [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I registered today knowing full well the bike course could be a cluster. The timing of the race was too perfect.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: What sells out faster than IMAZ? Tempe 70.3 of course! [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The field is only 1700, big difference with those loops. Still may get tight, but I've always enjoyed the SOMA race and IMAZ there.

I'm still considering, it's going to sell out soon though I hear.
Quote Reply
Re: What sells out faster than IMAZ? Tempe 70.3 of course! [TriGal1213] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The field is only 1700

Can you confirm that is what they are capping it at? I was given a different number by WTC.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like we're talking to different people :) Yes, cap is 1700, but there's a charity team too so I'm wondering if that means the regular field is even less if they have spots reserved. That's why I was saying I'm getting nervous to wait any longer, it's got to be close to selling out soon I'd imagine - it's been open a few weeks now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is great news - about the field size. I was worried that the race was going be too crowded. I just signed up, along with 4 of my team mates! So glad I got in! THIS is the race I want to do… Time to start training! :-)
Quote Reply
Re: What sells out faster than IMAZ? Tempe 70.3 of course! [aoncon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aoncon wrote:
This is great news - about the field size. I was worried that the race was going be too crowded. I just signed up, along with 4 of my team mates! So glad I got in! THIS is the race I want to do… Time to start training! :-)

Well, it was 700 for SOMA, so this is another 1000 people on the same course. It's not going to be pretty.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply

Prev Next