Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Soooo itchy
Quote | Reply
After a run, and almost 100% when it's cold out, my torso gets covered in big bumps and so itchy I want to tear my skin off. Same result with different laundry detergents. Guesses as to my problem? It's very irritating.
Quote Reply
Re: Soooo itchy [wild hare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not a doctor, but it sounds like hives. http://www.mayoclinic.org/...inition/con-20034524
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do you dry your clothes with fabric softener?

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Soooo itchy [mstyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mstyer wrote:
I'm not a doctor, but it sounds like hives. http://www.mayoclinic.org/...inition/con-20034524

+1. I know a few people with this. It comes and goes, often at or near freezing, mostly on exposed skin.

Allergy meds should work, but obviously talk to a doctor.

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Re: Soooo itchy [mstyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't have thought it was the cold itself. Hmmm. The release of histamines might explain why my sinuses are so productive during my run also. Cold and walking or just being outside doesn't do it but exercise and cold gets the nose running and the itch going. It is about time to make a Dr. appt. anyway. Thanks for pointing out the article. My Google-fu wasn't working.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also get this in the winter- itchy, red bumps, etc. It can be really bad when I go to bed, disrupting my sleep. I've started using super, ultra, nuclear, industrial strength moisturizing body wash in the shower. It seems to have helped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wild hare wrote:
my torso gets covered in big bumps and so itchy I want to tear my skin off.

Does the effected area feel hot? Can you trace letters or shapes with your finger over the effected areas? I developed issues with urticaria 5-6 years ago but in my case it occurs every 2-3 days, active or static regardless of whether it is warm or cold weather. I originally used Claritin or Zertec but did not like some of the side effects, and have visited both a dermatologist and allergist who did lab tests, and other than a bit of an issue with dust, nothing stood out. The allergist prescribed Xyzal (Levocetirizine) which I end up taking a dose once every 2-3 days, and at this point, suspect I will be taking Xyzal or similar pretty much the rest of my life. Frown

squid wrote:
I've started using super, ultra, nuclear, industrial strength moisturizing body wash in the shower..

Care to elaborate on which one?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by: ms6073: Mar 3, 15 9:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
suggestions:

don't use soap to wash, use aveeno or johnson's baby wash
pat dry with a towel and immediately afterwards use a moisturiser like aveeno, be generous with it
make sure your base layers are not too old, my helle hansens were OK for a couple of years but then gave horrendous itching, i think the material breaks down and causes problems as time goes by. merino wool base layers are much better.
layer up, if the skin of your torso gets too cold it will make the problem worse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you need to rinse your run clothes twice to get all the soap residue out?
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of good suggestions. I'm going to try them one by one to see what might work. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Soooo itchy [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ms6073 wrote:
wild hare wrote:
my torso gets covered in big bumps and so itchy I want to tear my skin off.

Does the effected area feel hot? Can you trace letters or shapes with your finger over the effected areas? I developed issues with urticaria 5-6 years ago but in my case it occurs every 2-3 days, active or static regardless of whether it is warm or cold weather. I originally used Claritin or Zertec but did not like some of the side effects, and have visited both a dermatologist and allergist who did lab tests, and other than a bit of an issue with dust, nothing stood out. The allergist prescribed Xyzal (Levocetirizine) which I end up taking a dose once every 2-3 days, and at this point, suspect I will be taking Xyzal or similar pretty much the rest of my life. Frown

squid wrote:
I've started using super, ultra, nuclear, industrial strength moisturizing body wash in the shower..

Care to elaborate on which one?

I use an Olay moisture bar and Nivea Creme Moisture body wash. The old Ivory bar just wasn't cutting it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take some Benadryl.
That'll help you understand if its urticaria (Hives)

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply