Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 10 years to competitive Ironman? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
a 20 year old athlete wanting a long term developpement to reach high pertormance......

it s very simple, move to ITU short course racing, learn to be a fop swimmer, bike skills and fitness and learn to run very fast over the 5-10km distance. Race lots, gain lots of experience and work with a very good developpement coach that will adapt the training year after year.

this is your best plan to reach a high level at the ironman distance. 10 year of dedication would get mostly any age grouper athlete into a professional level ironman athletes if they are willing to put the time in.....

This x100000000

Too many rush their prep/jump to the full Iron distance. You have tons of years racing and training ahead of you. Don't rush! Build speed and power, have fun going fast.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Re: 10 years to competitive Ironman? [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got it - get fast and get a coach. In time move up the distances and avoid getting injured. Am I along the right lines?
Quote Reply
Re: 10 years to competitive Ironman? [beansontoast94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As mentioned, focus on getting faster in each discipline first and focus on shorter distance races. They are more forgiving.

Honestly, there a few things I would have changed looking back at the last 20 years, but my greatest assets to be a well rounded triathlete were being 1st a good runner in high school and learning how to suffer, a competitive swimmer in high school and learning how to train hard day after day, then racing bicycles and learning how to handle a bike well, ride hard and really enjoy being on 2 wheels. Then it was just a matter of the right timing in my life to put them together. Then later the right timing to put in the volume then add the structure to really improve.

The biggest key to improvement is consistent, somewhat structured and deliberate training with a descent volume and the right amount and type of quality.

I wouldn't put a time range on a long term goal like that. I would instead focus on shorter term goals season to season and build on each one.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: 10 years to competitive Ironman? [beansontoast94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't need 10 years would be my first thought....

Get a coach now, train diligently, intelligently and with patience.

No reason you could not be mid pack in 1 year, front of pack after 2.

Beyond that its gonna come down to your coaching, motivation flexibility to what life throws at you and what sacrifices you are prepared to make..

Also worth working toward a back up plan, ie what career do you want IF this does not work out as you expected...
Quote Reply
Re: 10 years to competitive Ironman? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok thanks. I'm used to the long training from swimming and ran cross country for my school, it's just the bike I've had less experience with - I used to just win the jr events by being first out of the water and just hanging on from there haha
Quote Reply
Re: 10 years to competitive Ironman? [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers for the advice! I'm going to start looking for a coach. Im currently studying languages and hope to do law afterwards so that would only change if it became apparent that there was a chance of doing triathlon full time - I'm certainly not expecting to make any money out of it
Quote Reply

Prev Next