Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What does "Made in USA" really mean anyways? [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, but this only started in the last year. Like I said earlier, they basically got fellated by Utah because they needed to boost employment figures. I am glad they are US based and manufacture in the US but let us not kid ourselves that they did it out of some patriotic notion.
Quote Reply
Re: What does "Made in USA" really mean anyways? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Economist wrote:
As an economist I always find these debates interesting.
Me too.

Economist wrote:
Personally, I buy the lowest price and highest quality (aka value). Where it's made is irrelevant. I have no social responsibility to support a business.
Would generally agree with you, that one should support the most agile, highly responsive, customer-service oriented businesses that make great products at a great price or value, with this very important caveat:

We still have a responsibility to support systems that are, for lack of a better term, less evil. Maybe that is a nation, political system, government, or maybe that is a business. For an example, hypothetically, if I were to discover with zero doubt that an I item I needed that was super cheap was made with slave labor, I would not buy it any price. I would pay a lot more to buy any alternative. Knowledge is power.

Greg @ dsw

I believe the market system and watch groups weed out the most vulgar abusers of human rights. Not a perfect system but it works. There are certain companies I avoid for social reasons (animal abuse). I rely on organizations to help me avoid them. I don't have the resources to investigate every firm I do business with.

Your last sentence: knowledge is power. I have a shirt I wear teaching: knowledge is a weapon. :)

Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:
Wheelsmith still makes the spokes in the USA.

Also, ENVE is NOT a UK company. It is an american company and they build the carbon rims here. Not sure why the OP tried to make it sound like the company is not American. And, they make a lot of other parts in the US along with wheels (like stems, forks, handlebars).

Sorry if you misinterpreted my post - I don't think I ever said that ENVE was non-American. In fact, I clearly stated that they were based in Utah.

I was merely pointing out that the All-American rim my friend was proudly buying was actually designed by a UK firm (Smart Aero Technology). It was part of a larger point I was making that most people don't look past the Made in USA marketing to actually examine where their products are designed and made (cshowe80 picked up on this as well).

The thread title is basically a rhetorical question. Meaning that it's hard to define what is an American company vs. a non-American anymore, given that our supply chain is global now and knowledge / expertise / goods can be easily made in one place and transferred to another, either physically or electronically. Thus - the whole notion of Made in the USA is flawed in many cases. Not that the notion of buying domestically is bad, but rather - it is becoming very hard to define what is exactly American-made and designed and what is not.
Quote Reply
Re: What does "Made in USA" really mean anyways? [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
I believe the market system and watch groups weed out the most vulgar abusers of human rights, animal rights, the environment, etc.
I so wish you were right, but unfortunately you're not.

Supply chains are now so crazily long (and we know that many of them are intentionally kept secret/obfuscated) that 99.99% of consumers do not know (and have no way of knowing--well, short of hiring a private investigator with an unlimited expense account) where the product they just bought came from exactly, the many transformations that have occurred at every step, and the impacts of those transformations on people, animals, and/or the environment.

Economist wrote:
knowledge is a weapon.
Yes, very true.

Speaking of your t-shirt, have you followed the planet money t-shirt project? You probably have, but, if not, you might find the series interesting. There one can get an appreciation of the truly gigantic scale of the supply chain of a simple, non-proprietary, non-secret t-shirt. But follow the path of an item where the company won't even reveal who their contractors are? Good luck with that.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Mar 4, 15 15:35
Quote Reply
Re: What does "Made in USA" really mean anyways? [aaronechang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the All-American rim my friend was proudly buying was actually designed by a UK firm (Smart Aero Technology).

The *aero* design (shape) was done by Smart. This is a small fraction of the design work and a tiny fraction of the work that goes into making and selling a product.

it is becoming very hard to define what is exactly American-made and designed and what is not.

It became hard a long time ago.
Quote Reply

Prev Next