Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best American Marathons -- New Ideas? [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't done it myself but crater lake is supposed to spectacular.

http://www.craterlakerimruns.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best American Marathons -- New Ideas? [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40+ marathons and counting. Some of my favorites.

Beautiful: Honolulu, Grandmas, Chickamauga Nat'l Battlefield

Fun: Disney, Portland

Crazy: Tupelo

Hilly: Atlanta, Country Music, Georgia

Fast: Mercedes, Memphis, Huntsville Rocket City, Jacksonville Fla

Big: Marine Corps, Chicago, NY, Boston

http://jmassieblog.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best American Marathons -- New Ideas? [ATL Dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whiskey row, prescott az. early may. nice up n down and some fire roads and pavement. nice town to spend a weekend in.
Lake tahoe, CA spectacularly beautiful race with some altitude. October

don't just do something..... sit there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you 're up for "close to America" I highly recommend the Victoria, BC Marathon in October. Beautiful course. Fly to Seattle, take the Clipper to Victoria and stay downtown.
Quote Reply
Re: Best American Marathons -- New Ideas? [Emilyk318] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Emilyk318 wrote:
If you 're up for "close to America" I highly recommend the Victoria, BC Marathon in October. Beautiful course. Fly to Seattle, take the Clipper to Victoria and stay downtown.

And across the water from Victoria in Port Angeles, Wa is the North Olympic Discovery Marathon. Point to point, mostly on a shaded or oceanside rail-to-trail course. Pretty flat. Fast.

Also, very small field. 45-49M won with a 2:45 last year.
Last edited by: JSully: Mar 7, 15 17:16
Quote Reply
Re: Best American Marathons -- New Ideas? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Poon wrote:
Sorry for getting off the triathlon subject, but what races would folks rank as the best? I already have done Boston, Chicago, Big Sur, Marine Corps, Shamrock (VA Beach), Indianapolis Monumental, Utah Valley, Cowtown (Fort Worth) and a bunch of smaller races. I am doing New York and Portland this Fall. I am curious if anyone highly recommends any other races.

Chickamauga Battlefield Marathon, b/c any small pain you may feel during the race is miniscule compared to the pain the soldiers felt during the battle. Also, it is a rolling course through the battlefield with lots of fall foliage, along with the numerous cannon and memorials to the various regiments that fought there back in Sept 1863, which IMO are very inspiring. Usually held in early to mid-Nov each year, organized by the Chattanooga Track Club.

I did the Battlefield Marathon in November. Some joker put this wall at mile 24. It wasn't included in the course description. ;) All kidding aside, the course is beautiful however you won't notice many of the memorials. I was too busy trying to keep up with my pace group to notice much especially on the second loop. I don't notice that kind of stuff while racing anyway. This is also a very small marathon. I've heard of slower runners complain about running alone. The good part is that you are not caught up in the slow mass start for very long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fly to Detroit and do this one, great event

http://www.trailmarathon.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
Sorry for getting off the triathlon subject, but what races would folks rank as the best? I already have done Boston, Chicago, Big Sur, Marine Corps, Shamrock (VA Beach), Indianapolis Monumental, Utah Valley, Cowtown (Fort Worth) and a bunch of smaller races. I am doing New York and Portland this Fall. I am curious if anyone highly recommends any other races.

Baltimore puts on a great race, decently challenging course. They also have the added twist that the half goes off at about 2 hours after the full, so everyone finishes roughly together (instead of the half folks finishing hours before the full, and eating all the food)
Quote Reply
Re: Best American Marathons -- New Ideas? [jbholcom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jbholcom wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Poon wrote:

Chickamauga Battlefield Marathon, b/c any small pain you may feel during the race is miniscule compared to the pain the soldiers felt during the battle. Also, it is a rolling course through the battlefield with lots of fall foliage, along with the numerous cannon and memorials to the various regiments that fought there back in Sept 1863, which IMO are very inspiring. Usually held in early to mid-Nov each year, organized by the Chattanooga Track Club.

I did the Battlefield Marathon in November. Some joker put this wall at mile 24. It wasn't included in the course description. ;) All kidding aside, the course is beautiful however you won't notice many of the memorials. I was too busy trying to keep up with my pace group to notice much especially on the second loop. I don't notice that kind of stuff while racing anyway. This is also a very small marathon. I've heard of slower runners complain about running alone. The good part is that you are not caught up in the slow mass start for very long.

I used to live in Chatt and rode/ran through the battlefield quite often, plus they have a 15K/5K every spring and outdoor concerts also, so I've been there many times. I much prefer smaller running races and triathlons, 200 to 500 other competitors seems about right to me, over 500 is too much to deal with.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Best American Marathons -- New Ideas? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mayor's marathon, Anchorage, Alaska.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Big Sur Marathon in CA. BEAUTIFUL!
2. Mississippi Blues Marathon. Fun and challenging course. GREAT swag bag and post race party. LIVE music at every mile, too!

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Re: Best American Marathons -- New Ideas? [ATL Dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ATL Dad wrote:
40+ marathons and counting. Some of my favorites.

Beautiful: Honolulu, Grandmas, Chickamauga Nat'l Battlefield

Fun: Disney, Portland

Crazy: Tupelo

Hilly: Atlanta, Country Music, Georgia

Fast: Mercedes, Memphis, Huntsville Rocket City, Jacksonville Fla

Big: Marine Corps, Chicago, NY, Boston

I really enjoyed Honolulu (which is also big - about 25k people I think). You start when it's still dark out and run through town. A lot of places have Christmas lights up because it's December. Then you get out along the waterfront as the sun is rising. It's a great race, but gets hot for the later finishers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Louisiana Marathon in Baton Rouge is a fantastic race. Before I start to explain, let me disclose that I'm an ambassador for this race. The course passes through parts of the LSU campus around the famous LSU lakes then through some beautiful neighborhoods. The community really rallies behind this race and makes it a first class event. Not uncommon for people that live on the route to have aid stations, some with alcoholic beverages and some just water. Between the expo, course and the after party; this is absolutely one of my favorite races. Here is the link http://www.thelouisianamarathon.com/. Any one interested, let me know and I can save you ten percent on your registration.
Quote Reply

Prev Next