Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sarah Storey hour attempt today
Quote | Reply
Live stream on UCI YouTube channel.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tgGIb24Hk

Look forward to all the comments on her position..!
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah Storey hour attempt today [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah Storey hour attempt today [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right on pace through 10kms. Also I'll just say her position is very upright.

What is attached on her left bullhorn?
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah Storey hour attempt today [Cdn_Biker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Accommodation for a grip issue and arm length discrepancy due to hand that is not fully formed.
Last edited by: gregn: Feb 28, 15 7:31
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah Storey hour attempt today [gregn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always seems to amaze me when watching the hour record how concentrated and determined they are....... Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Made specifically for her, since she doesn't have a left hand.
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah Storey hour attempt today [gregn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Laps up over 20 seconds now, can't see her dropping it back to mid 19s now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just finished...45.502km

Wonder if anyone took a blood lactate sample?

She got lots of other (paraolympian, British, masters, and something else) hour records...just not the ultimate.
Last edited by: Cafe Lactate: Feb 28, 15 8:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cdn_Biker wrote:
Laps up over 20 seconds now, can't see her dropping it back to mid 19s now.

Interesting how so many hour attempts end with slower laps, despite improved science, power data and modern training methods.

But then people are on their limit, I mean no critisism of the individual.

Perhaps modern training is skewed towards shorter durations?
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah Storey hour attempt today [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Think it's because they're not trying to do their best 1 hour performance, they're trying to break the world record (or at least the attempts getting media coverage are). So there's no point setting off at what the science tells you is your 1 hour power, if that power means you're behind world record pace. You have to set off at world record pace and hope you can hang on. I think the science bit is only helpful in terms of telling them that they're there or thereabouts for a record attempt, once you're on the start line there's only one strategy.
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah Storey hour attempt today [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dead on. I also think the bad pacing has something to do with how hard it is to conceptualize lap speed and paces when doing an all out effort. Maybe going .5 second/lap too fast doesn't feel too bad at the beginning and mentally doesn't seem like much. If the athlete instead new they were going 20-30 watts too hard (which they don't) pacing might be easier to get his/her head around.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Sarah Storey hour attempt today [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are also massively limited in what feedback they are allowed to have - they have to go by the clock, and their coach signalling to them - they can't have a garmin (or insert brand of choice here) showing them their 10s power and lap splits or whatever.
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah Storey hour attempt today [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordano wrote:
Dead on. I also think the bad pacing has something to do with how hard it is to conceptualize lap speed and paces when doing an all out effort. Maybe going .5 second/lap too fast doesn't feel too bad at the beginning and mentally doesn't seem like much. If the athlete instead new they were going 20-30 watts too hard (which they don't) pacing might be easier to get his/her head around.

It isn't as if these people don't have access to power data in training. But the point is they are pushing the limits to break records so it is understandable that their pacing looks poor when they fail.

It's good to see people put their neck on the block. All credit to them.
Quote Reply