Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Choo bike choice?
Quote | Reply
I am racing IM Chattanooga in September. I have read there is @4200 ft of climbing. What are your opinions of using a tri bike or a road bike with clip-ons?

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo bike choice? [zeusrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bke - that's not all that much climbing.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri Bike. It is a lot faster than it looks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If anyone who has ridden that course can look me in the eyes and say that that course felt every bit like 4200 ft of climbing, I'd say they are on crack. It's probably one of the fastest bike course on the IM circuit. Tri-bike.

I rode the first loop of that course entirely in aero without any issues. I got out of aero a few times during the second loop to stretch a little bit, but could have stayed in aero for 112 without much issues.

Quote | Reply
I'll be there this year with my tri bike. Didn't do it last year, but I don't think there's anything overly technical involved.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo bike choice? [Plomassa] [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plomassa wrote:
I agree with that.

zoom wrote:
I rode the first loop of that course entirely in aero without any issues. I got out of aero a few times during the second loop to stretch a little bit, but could have stayed in aero for 112 without much issues.
I don't agree with this. I don't think staying in aero for that 150 foot climb in 0.7 miles right before the sharp turn back up Hog Jowl is the right play. I got out of aero 3 or 4 times on each loop. You also have a pretty good climb just before the end of each loop.

That all being said, it IS fast, but if you expect it to be flat, you'll think it's hilly. If you are expecting the hills, it won't seem bad at all. Plus it probably won't be 116 miles this year.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo bike choice? [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
Plomassa wrote:
I agree with that.

zoom wrote:
I don't agree with this. I don't think staying in aero for that 150 foot climb in 0.7 miles right before the sharp turn back up Hog Jowl is the right play. I got out of aero 3 or 4 times on each loop. You also have a pretty good climb just before the end of each loop.

That all being said, it IS fast, but if you expect it to be flat, you'll think it's hilly. If you are expecting the hills, it won't seem bad at all. Plus it probably won't be 116 miles this year.

Agree with tri bike, there's really not much flat area on the course, it's very rolling, but that may change this year.
As you said the back end of the loops had a pretty long and steady climb.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo bike choice? [Rover24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard it was going to be longer and harder this year... wonder what they will come up with?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it last year and have done at least a dozen training rides on the course. Tri bike is what you need to be riding. Its a rolling course, no steep climbs. There has been talk of a completely different bike course this year. They could easily make it one of the most difficult bike courses on the IM circuit if they chose to do so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri bike
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo bike choice? [Plomassa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Yes, in an absolute sense someone should always be faster on a tri bike . . .

. . . but . . . maybe not and or does it matter . . . .http://stevefleck.blogspot.ca/...on-on-road-bike.html

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo bike choice? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Yes, in an absolute sense someone should always be faster on a tri bike . . .

. . . but . . . maybe not and or does it matter . . . .http://stevefleck.blogspot.ca/...on-on-road-bike.html

You could argue the same for the folks that draft, if your in a pace line the whole ride why not ride a road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the course doesn't change,
There are lots of places where most people aren't comfortable enough to go as fast as the course allows.
In those situations, you may be more confident on a road bike.
As a bonus, you'll get to spend more time enjoying the bike course.
It's a great course, afterall.
More ironman for you dollar.

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo bike choice? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
Tri Bke - that's not all that much climbing.

Yup. It would need to approach maybe 12k' of climbing (nothing but 10%+ grade up and down) and every descent would be so crazy technical that you wouldn't be aero most of the time. I'm thinking a triathlon with maybe multiple laps up and down of some of the hardest TdF climbs/descents.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alright. It's official. I'll race with my Tri bike. Thanks for the advice.

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo bike choice? [endurathonrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endurathonrd wrote:
I heard it was going to be longer and harder this year... wonder what they will come up with?

Someone said they were going to reverse the direction of the swim and the run would just be 4 loops of the north side hills. That might have been on the IM Chatt facebook group, so I'm not sure if it's true. The RD may know more about it.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used my tri bike with no issues.

But I had thought it was a different course this year to fix the mileage. Are they keeping the longer distance?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo bike choice? [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What makes you think the RD would have a clue what's going on with his race? ;-)

I've heard so many awesome rumors on here and on FB about the courses. My favorites are the ones who say "I know a guy that knows a guy and they are going over lookout and up suck creek"

The courses won't change drastically.

The swim course/start location worked well. We will continue to work with the TVA to control water flow. We had a miscommunication regarding that last year and I expect that to be resolved. We should not have the same flow we had last year, I expect more like 6000cfs during the race.

I am close to a new bike course that is 112 miles. Contrary to some of the rumors, Walker County/North Georgia were both very happy with the event and want us back. I need to spend a little more time with Georgia State Patrol and Walker County Sheriffs Dept before I can let that cat out of the bag. As we finalize the intersection plans and do our course drives for the 70.3 we will continue looking at the IM route. It's a tough call because I love the old course and from a traffic management/law enforcement perspective it worked really well.

The IM run course may have a small change as well. Im just waiting on our graphics team to send back a revised 70.3 Chattanooga run course map. If the changes work for the 70.3 in May, we will alter the IM course as well. At this time the loop on the north side of the river WILL STAY THE SAME!

Brian "Some WTC Guy"
Quote Reply