Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimmers Shoulder
Quote | Reply
I have been swimming consistently for about two years with no problems and have recently obtained a nice case of swimmers shoulder (inflammation from repetitive shoulder activities). I am resting and icing. Anyone else deal with this in the past??
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers Shoulder [billytyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some would say that you're shooting in the dark without a specific diagnosis. Perhaps an examination by a qualified individual would give this specificity from which a plan specific to you would be developed to get you "back in the swim."

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're on a triathlon forum, the answer is obvious...

Swim less.

It's a prescription most of us would dream of...

-Jot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no idea what I'm talking about, but could you be swimming with a bit of a thumb entry and forcing too much inwards rotation at the shoulder? Perhaps a flatter hand entry might help you with that? Is your rotation good?

Could be nothing at all to do with that, though. I do think it is as important to consider the cause as it is to figure out the treatment, as you'll be wanting to swim again.

May be useful..
http://www.swimsmooth.com/injury.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know your pain. I'm not a doctor here so please take this with a grain of salt, I have a "loose" shoulder from 20+ years of competitive swimming and I have to spend a lot of time with therabands doing various abductor and adductor workouts with my shoulders. Basically if I keep the inner muscles strong then the shoulder doesn't hurt, if I let them weaken, then I'm in for a bit of hurt. I'd go talk with a doc that knows swimmers and have it looked at. The last thing you want to do is tear a labrum or some other craziness an there goes your swim.

Todd
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy "Shoulder Pain? The Solution and Prevention" by John Kirsch MD. Be prepared to start getting back in the pool in a few weeks!
I had similar issues and even posted about it on ST a few months ago. I tried every thing-pt chiro, art, then I stumbled across this short read (~90 pages) and was swimming again in a few weeks. I think the book cost $13 on amazon.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers Shoulder [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
I have no idea what I'm talking about, but could you be swimming with a bit of a thumb entry and forcing too much inwards rotation at the shoulder? Perhaps a flatter hand entry might help you with that? Is your rotation good?

Could be nothing at all to do with that, though. I do think it is as important to consider the cause as it is to figure out the treatment, as you'll be wanting to swim again.

May be useful..
http://www.swimsmooth.com/injury.php[/quote]

^^^^^^^^^^^

swim technique

biomechanical repetitive trauma

change technique

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you supplementing your swims with strength and flexibility exercises? I would definitely recommend shoulder back and core strengthening to help relieve the tension of the repetitive nature of swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is common overuse injury, primarily caused by extending recovery arm flat on surface in front of head or "cross-over" placing moment and all pressure on rotator. Spear recovery arm wide on shoulder width tracks, slicing recovery hand below lungs, don't lay flat on surface. This will take pressure off fatigue and injury prone shoulders engaging large core muscle group of lattimus dorsi ("the lats") .

Good luck!

Stuart
Quote Reply
Re: Swimmers Shoulder [Treetop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I am downloading it now.
Quote Reply