Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Swim snorkel in IM [mndiver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced with a snorkel. I call it my Cygnus X-1 swim. X-1 because I was inhaling so hard on that tube, I was sucking in light as well. I am surprised there was air left in the immediate area for anyone else.

It was a cool swim tho. Mutiny on the beach, held up the race start. Race director had to intervene ( I got prior approval). Underwater observation of the race (why is that women in a bathing suit so much faster than me in my B70 Helix?). I came out of the water about mid-pack, albeit delirious.

I had to use a snorkel, I simply couldn't swim otherwise, and my swimming was "behind schedule". However by August that summer I was all good & swam the ocean race mile and yep hit the podium, still delirious. Good thing I didn't have heart rate monitor, hate to see what abuse I put it through.

Anyway - you are slower with a snorkel because it does create a lot of drag. And you can't really rotate and move you shoulders correctly imo. A snorkel is OK for isolation and for specific things, but I don't use it much these days.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Last edited by: SharkFM: Feb 25, 15 18:59
Quote Reply
Re: Swim snorkel in IM [Iain Gillam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iain Gillam wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
I bought a front snorkel after one too many Mtb'ing accidents left my neck stiff as a board. I never planned to use it in a race, but thought it would help alleviate unneeded aggravation during training. Tried to use it in the pool the other day and I can't get enough O2 to even entertain using it.

I thought it was just me! I loathe using a snorkel, I find it to be quite the reverse of making it easier to breath. The restriction on breathing for me makes it worse than normal swimming and couldn't begin to fathom going race pace with one. But it is a great tool for working on your alignment.

Iain

Same experience here. I just could not get in enough air, but water was abundant. I now have a nearly new, twice used (less then 200 yds) freestlye snorkel cluttering up my pain cave.
Last edited by: Burnt Toast: Feb 25, 15 21:07
Quote Reply
Re: Swim snorkel in IM [mndiver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been using a snorkel to work on my stroke timing. I am a lot slower using it, this may be because I tend swim more heads up to keep the water out of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim snorkel in IM [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:

Anyway - you are slower with a snorkel because it does create a lot of drag. And you can't really rotate and move you shoulders correctly imo. A snorkel is OK for isolation and for specific things, but I don't use it much these days.

I doubt that the increased drag is all that significant. There may also be a slight increase in resistance to breathing through the tube, but again, it shouldn't be all that significant. The main problem with the snorkel is rebreathing of exhaled CO2 that is not fully cleared with each breath because of the dead space of the long tube, so you end up having to breath harder to normalize your CO2. This could be fixed if they made a one-way valve next to the mouth piece to exhale CO2 without it having to travel the full length of the tube.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim snorkel in IM [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
I used a snorkel when I was exclusively a sprinter for the same reason Torres and Sullivan did: The 50m free is a no breather. Wearing a snorkel allowed me to train at a fast pace and not have to turn my head to breath like I would in a race. When you are doing 8 x 50s on 2:00 a snorkel comes in handy. But my point really is there is no reason they shouldn't be allowed in a race. Their very specific usefulness has no applicability to triathletes.

You prob used the snork pretty sparingly though, right??? Like for maybe 10% of any given workout??? Or maybe 20% some days and zero on others???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Swim snorkel in IM [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dirtymangos wrote:
apache wrote:
dirtymangos wrote:
I think that there might be a lesson in here for lots of triathletes.
What is the difference between a toy, a tool and a crutch?
A tool helps you achieve a specific goal.
A toy is something to play around with.
A crutch is something that helps you achieve a short term goal but is often detrimental to achieving a long term one.
Now -what specific goal are you trying to achieve by swimming with a snorkel? Is the goal long term or short?
It is true that swimmers sometimes train with: pull buoys, paddles, kick boards, drag suits, tethers, flippers , snorkels etc.
They have a general goal- ie. swim faster, and a specific goal - ie increase are strength, when using these tools.
Certainly- your snorkel use does not help the long term goal of being a better swimmer.
It seems more like a toy then a tool. But maybe I am wrong - maybe it is a crutch.

Gerry Rodrigues would certainly disagree with you.

I am not saying that there are no specific or general goals that can't be helped by swim gear/toys.
What I am saying is that without identifying what the goal is, how the gear is meant to help with the goal, and some means of measuring progress towards the goal- the item is not a "tool" it is a "toy" or a "crutch".
Gerry Rodrigues might have a strategy. No opinion there.
But it certainly shouldn't involve racing with a snorkel.
Maybe -Some specific set or drill for a certain kind of athlete?

I see lots and lots and lots of triathletes, and lap swimmers, at the pool with huge piles of "toys." There is almost never a coherent strategy for the use of all this crap. On the contrary, it seems that the kick boards, paddles, flippers, snorkels, other weird stuff - is actually there to create distractions- so that ones can avoid the hard work of practicing swimming fast.

Clearly you have hit the nail here. My only quibble would be that you and most fish seem to over-emphasize the "hard work" aspect of swimming fast whereas, for me, on days when I'm feeling really good and can actually swim fast, rather than just medium fast-ish, I frigging love it. Swimming fast is absolutely the best frigging feeling in the world, and I crave it like a hard drug. I guess it is "hard work" in a certain sense but the feeling of going fast negates all the other sensations big-time. But, this is prob b/c i've done so much swimming that it is simply second nature to me, as it is to you, AJ, Jason, Bo, etc:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Swim snorkel in IM [bobbytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the snorkel almost exactly like you've mentioned. I'm a semi adult onset swimmer. Been doing triathlons since 1985 but was mostly a runner/cyclist. I've found doing 3-4x400 sets with the snorkel has really helped my technique and fitness. I've also noticed my 400 times are about 3-5 sec slower per 100 with the snorkel. Mostly due to slower open turns with the snorkel. I only do open turns either way because of vertigo resulting from a concussion.

With regards to other swim aids I'll occasionally use fins and paddles too. Mostly to keep things interesting as I don't enjoy swimming as much as B/R. My times are getting faster so I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply

Prev Next