Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Advise me regarding Tacx Trainer [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Thanks for the information. I purchased a Smart Vortex mostly based upon personnel e-mail with DC Rainmaker. I bought a new Fire HDX8.9 to run it on but as I am technically challenged I have not been able to get the Fire to download the Tacx software. I will have a co-worker walk me through it.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Advise me regarding Tacx Trainer [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm better now, thanks for asking, there was a time a few years ago when I was mad.
Quote Reply
Re: Advise me regarding Tacx Trainer [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is your Vortex Smart running?

I keep flipping back and forth between the KK and the Vortex Smart - I'm a bit scared about TACX's marred reputation for customer support.

- Ken
Quote Reply
Re: Advise me regarding Tacx Trainer [kfmfe04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kfmfe04 wrote:
I'm a bit scared about TACX's marred reputation for customer support.
Tacx hardware support is typically very, very good. It is the application development that is giving them a bad reputation as it is outsourced to different companies with one handling the free Smartphone/Tablet apps and another engineering the Tacx Trainer Software for PC.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kfmfe04 wrote:
How is your Vortex Smart running?

I keep flipping back and forth between the KK and the Vortex Smart - I'm a bit scared about TACX's marred reputation for customer support.

- Ken

It seems that the Tacx app does not play well with the Amazon Fire so I returned it. I had to buy the TTS4 Advanced software to run it on my desktop computer. Other than that it has been running fine. The graphics are far above Computrainer. I am planning on signing up with Trainer Road now that Tacx has opened up for that. The one time I had trouble with the connectivity I contacted TACX and had a reply within the hour, I responded with another question and had a reply within ten minutes. They are based in Europe so their time zone is different.

I would recommend Tacx to anyone looking.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thx for the details - I am about to pull the trigger on a Vortex Smart - just working out the details of the setup.

I am looking to buy the TACX T2028 ANT+ Antenna to use with TrainerRoad.

Now, if I want to run TR and Zwift at the same time, do I need to buy another T2028 or some other brand of ANT+ antenna (I'm wondering if drivers will get confused with a 2nd T2028)? I read in a thread somewhere that two ANT+ dongles are needed because TR needs to send FE-C commands to the Vortex while Zwift needs to receive speed/cadence/power information...

Also, how do you feel about the TTS4? In your opinion, if you had to buy it again, is it worth $100+ or does TR/Zwift make TTS4 redundant?

- Ken
Quote Reply
Re: Advise me regarding Tacx Trainer [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ms6073 wrote:
kfmfe04 wrote:
I'm a bit scared about TACX's marred reputation for customer support.

Tacx hardware support is typically very, very good. <snip>

Not sure where you got that idea, but ask anyone that had a Fortius trainer & they will tell you something completely different.
Quote Reply
Re: Advise me regarding Tacx Trainer [zach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zach wrote:
Not sure where you got that idea, but ask anyone that had a Fortius trainer & they will tell you something completely different.
I should have qualified my previous statement as you are correct in that Tacx is very good at supporting the current generation of hardware but not so much with maintaining updates for legacy hardware. To qualify, we own a 2006 Tacx Fortius, 2009 Bushido T1980, 2011 Bushido T1981, 2014 iGenius, and a 2015 Bushido Smart and with that said, anybody want a free Tacx Fortius? Smile

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: Advise me regarding Tacx Trainer [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do they actually provide support, or is the newer hardware simply better designed & built? It's easy to support something that never needs any support!

Does the Fortius still work? My motorbrake died (yet again) at the beginning of last winter & I decided that I'd had enough with Tacx & wouldn't pay (yet again) to replace it. If the Fortius is salvageable, I'd be interested. PM me.
Quote Reply
Re: Advise me regarding Tacx Trainer [zach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zach wrote:
Do they actually provide support, or is the newer hardware simply better designed & built? It's easy to support something that never needs any support!

Does the Fortius still work? My motorbrake died (yet again) at the beginning of last winter & I decided that I'd had enough with Tacx & wouldn't pay (yet again) to replace it. If the Fortius is salvageable, I'd be interested. PM me.

I am going change my opinion of Tacx support. I have had the Vortex Smart since February this year and it has performed well until last week. There are software updates every so often and they have run fine. Last week the new update did not 'take' and I lost connectivity from the computer to the trainer. Numerous e-mail exchanges and even remote assistance could not resolve the problem. I have been unable to ride the Vortex for nine days now with no solution in sight. Back onto my dumb windtrainer. My next trainer purchase, which may be very soon will not be a Tacx.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kfmfe04 wrote:
Thx for the details - I am about to pull the trigger on a Vortex Smart - just working out the details of the setup.

I am looking to buy the TACX T2028 ANT+ Antenna to use with TrainerRoad.

Now, if I want to run TR and Zwift at the same time, do I need to buy another T2028 or some other brand of ANT+ antenna (I'm wondering if drivers will get confused with a 2nd T2028)? I read in a thread somewhere that two ANT+ dongles are needed because TR needs to send FE-C commands to the Vortex while Zwift needs to receive speed/cadence/power information...

Also, how do you feel about the TTS4? In your opinion, if you had to buy it again, is it worth $100+ or does TR/Zwift make TTS4 redundant?

- Ken

I can only answer some of your questions. I bought the extended Tacx cable antenna as the smaller Garmin one did not seem to connect very well and would occasionally drop the signal. As far as the TTS4 I think that if your going to going to use Trainer Road, Zwift etc it is not necessary. Tacx has opened up to third party software but I have yet to try it out.

Check out my post above this one please.

Quote Reply
Re: Advise me regarding Tacx Trainer [Runningwithbees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PM are now in the 500-650 range, you can get trainer without a power meter just standard good trainer (i use a Cycleops) they run 200-300 and boom you have power on your bike and a trainer. I have been doing that for 1.5 yrs now and have seen great results.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Advise me regarding Tacx Trainer [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The crazy thing is, a bona-fide smart trainer can be had for just USD310.76 - I just put in an order.

I will wait for PMs to drop to ~300 before buying one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kfmfe04 wrote:
The crazy thing is, a bona-fide smart trainer can be had for just USD310.76 - I just put in an order.

I will wait for PMs to drop to ~300 before buying one.

About that order it appears to be in Europe , Denmark is it? Those of us outside there will have to pay shipping (it reads fast shipping, not free shipping), and also it is on back order and should be available September 14, 2015. But yes that is a good price.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's actually in Germany (DE=Deutschland), but the EUR price includes a 19% VAT, so if you are shipping outside of the EU, 19% gets taken out. If you select your shipping location and your currency, it'll do the appropriate calculations.

So even with their reasonable shipping charges, it still comes out to be cheaper for people buying outside of the EU...

Also, they take Paypal paid in USD so you don't incur any foreign exchange charges.
Last edited by: kfmfe04: Sep 3, 15 15:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did your Vortex Smart fail on a firmware update? No way to revert or reset to factory?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kfmfe04 wrote:
Did your Vortex Smart fail on a firmware update? No way to revert or reset to factory?

Not that I know of or that they have shared with me.

Tacx has been quiet lackadaisical in there responses, meaning they just dont seem to care. This is part of one of their e-mails to me:If your not able to fix it yourself.
Then we have to ask you to contact your store.

My response back to them: Is there someone else at Tacx that I can communicate with? Someone helpful perhaps?

I am not at all computer savvy but I believe this is more of a firmware issue than a hardware issue. But so far they are 'working' on a solution for me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a quicker response, I recommend that you post your problem on the tacx forums - there may be people who have had similar problems who can help you there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have considered that. I think that what I will do is try the free trial of trainer road this weekend and see if it can connect with that. If so, then it should confirm it is a firmware issue and if not then it is indeed a warranty issue with the trainer.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Quote Reply

Prev Next