Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fenix 3 [Bmonty2504] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Although I have not had as intense battery drain as you, the more I use this, the more I question the advertised battery life. I've had mine for nearly a month. Any time I use it outside ('regular' GPS, 1s recording, HR), I lose 10% battery life, per hour. I do not have BT on, or wireless on, or any widgets on...nothing. Per day, in analog watch mode, it will drain ~3%, which, at that rate, is still 2 weeks short of the advertised 6 week value. Last Saturday, a 4 hour ride consumed 40% battery life (and that was after it dropped the connection to my HR monitor and PM 45 minutes in to the ride).

Sure, it's a nice looking 'do all' watch, but if it can't make it through a 10 hour ironman, it's going back to REI at the end of June.

As a side, I've received several compliments on the 'look' of the watch (I do not have the sapphire version). My wife loves it, friends, etc...all good things to say. The Fenix 3 has the potential to destroy anything else on the market. The connectIQ app store containing different widgets, watch faces, etc, is a brilliant idea. Furthermore, additional app making to allow for golf use would be an amazing plus. So much potential with this thing...I really hope Garmin can/will allow users to do something more with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 3 [TriZag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
May as well add my 2 cents:

Battery life - I had one period of two days when it could not get through a whole day, even without using it for sport. I let it run completely dry and then charged it fully. Now it seems to go days without a charge (although I'm tapering, so not using GPS very much). Maybe there was just something running that sucked up power and turning it off would have achieved the same.

Accuracy - seems to measure shorter than my 910xt, but maybe the 910 just measured long...who knows.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 3 [Neil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only time I have noticed severe battery drainage is when my phone disrupts the connection with the Garmin connect app. My phone and Fenix 3 both showed blue tooth connection but noticed the App showed "Not Connected" under the devices. In order to fix I have to restart the phone.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 3 [Neil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I experienced this too. If the watch is looking for a BT connection constantly it will wear the battery down; which is what happened to me. When you let the battery run down you effectively rebooted the watch which probably resolved the BT issue. You could have just hit the power button and rebooted it. This isn't an uncommon problem with people that use the 920. You also have to get quickly to the latest rev, each release fixes the BT issues a little more.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 3 [patsullivan6630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ended up returning my Fenix 3 for a refund, a new 920xt will arrive tomorrow. I liked the watch itself for the most part, but the GPS accuracy on twisty trails wasn't even in the ballpark, at least on my tree covered trails.

I did multiple tests comparing it against 310xt, Etrex and iphone and all would have reasonable tracks, but Fenix 3 would be all over the place and finishing distance up to 10% less. I actually boxed it up twice to return it, then would pull it back out thinking it COULDN'T be that bad, would try it, then box it back up. It wasn't this bad on the roads, or open areas and I could have lived with it if that's all I did( though it still wasn't as good a track as the 310xt), but it wasn't worth taking it along on off-road stuff.

I'm hoping the 920xt is going to work better. I will say, as much as the Fenix looks nice, I didn't care for the round screen and fine font for workouts as much as the 310xt rectangular screen. I found it a little slower/more difficult to read during workouts.

I also found the display to be rather dim indoors, I love the analog watchface, but it was too dark for me to see it most of the time indoors, so I had reverted to the digital watch display. Combination of all those things made me jump ship on the Fenix rather than wait for the hoped for FW fix.
Last edited by: BooneDog: Jun 2, 15 11:10
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 3 [BooneDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you have GLONASS on? Comes off from the factory. Makes a huge difference in gps tracking. Same thing for the 920xt
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 3 [RajA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe it depends on where you are, but I've never seen Glonass have a positive effect on tracking on the 2 or 3 devices I've used that had it. That's just my limited experience with it. It made no difference with the Fenix 3 for me either. I tried many things multiple times before finally returning it.

According to the Garmin forum they are working on a fix for this issue , though I've not followed it to see if they've issued any updates.
Quote Reply

Prev Next