Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
If Bobridge really wanted the Hour Record last night, why did he ride a Cervelo?
Quote | Reply
Goes to show how important being aero is for something like this. Riding a Scott, he would have been the new record holder this morning.

Discuss.
Quote Reply
Re: If Bobridge really wanted the Hour Record last night, why did he ride a Cervelo? [mountaindood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe, all I know is that the cockpit looked horrible. It most certainly did not make the front end fluid.

Quote Reply
Re: If Bobridge really wanted the Hour Record last night, why did he ride a Cervelo? [mountaindood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or maybe he went out to hard. Didn't watch, but the reports I'm seeing is his first 10k was in 11:12 and he tapered off pretty bad towards the end .

Or maybe he just got done with a race where he didn't hold back and even pushed it at times. At the end of the day, I'm sure this was more of a publicity thing than a pay the bills, bonus type of thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-10 on the troll meter.
Quote Reply
Re: If Bobridge really wanted the Hour Record last night, why did he ride a Cervelo? [duvivr6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why about that cockpit is horrible??

the high V was shown/told to be aero neutral by cervelo . Same with spacer under aduro.

Also, I did see a pic of him riding a bike with a different cockpit setup the other day . Not sure if it was just an old photo or he switched it out
Quote Reply
Re: If Bobridge really wanted the Hour Record last night, why did he ride a Cervelo? [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not saying that actual cockpit is bad, just the placement on the T4 frame.
It is made for a P5 that had a different nose and fits much better there. Maybe fugly is faster?
Quote Reply
Re: If Bobridge really wanted the Hour Record last night, why did he ride a Cervelo? [duvivr6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thay has been proven time and time again.
Quote Reply
Re: If Bobridge really wanted the Hour Record last night, why did he ride a Cervelo? [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This tweet from Scienceofsport, via Australia's CyclingTips, has a great graph showing a pacing comparison between the three most recent attempts. Bobridge went out hard. https://twitter.com/...817257807872/photo/1

--Troy@Quarq
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zachboring wrote:
Or maybe he went out to hard. Didn't watch, but the reports I'm seeing is his first 10k was in 11:12 and he tapered off pretty bad towards the end .

Yeah, 11:12 for the first 10km.
This graph from Ross Tucker shows just how poorly Jack paced.

https://twitter.com/...817257807872/photo/1

If he'd been more patient, the record would have been his (regardless of whether he was riding a Cervelo or a Scott)
Quote Reply
Re: If Bobridge really wanted the Hour Record last night, why did he ride a Cervelo? [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. That graph is really the whole story.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not that I know anything about it, but it did seem to me that his position on the bike was a bit....conservative. Anyone else think that?

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zachboring wrote:
Wow. That graph is really the whole story.

Looks like he spent the first 5 minutes riding faster than Rominger and Indurain...well, we know what fueled the pace of that "golden era".
Quote Reply
Re: If Bobridge really wanted the Hour Record last night, why did he ride a Cervelo? [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barchettaman wrote:
Not that I know anything about it, but it did seem to me that his position on the bike was a bit....conservative. Anyone else think that?

I thought that he looked a bit high too. But then who am I to question the WR holder of the individual pursuit on his track aero position?
Quote Reply
Re: If Bobridge really wanted the Hour Record last night, why did he ride a Cervelo? [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Looking at this, and if I compare to what fast runners pace for half marathons (around an hour), Bobridge is all over the map. He has some kilometers barely at 49 kph and others at 56 kph. If we use speed as a proxy for pace, (which is really bad, we should use power), it is still the delta between a 3:00 kilometer and 2:37 kilometer....but if we use power, it is likely more like 2:20 vs 3:30. No way the fast runners would deviate that much...they are like metronomes within seconds per kilometer. Jens looks like the best pacer....probably all those years on solo breakaways got him in tune with what is possible.

Are they able to see time splits on a clock at the velodrome, or do the rules require the entire thing on feel only?
Quote Reply
Re: If Bobridge really wanted the Hour Record last night, why did he ride a Cervelo? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only external feedback that the rider receives during the event is that their coach stands just before or after the lap marker depending on if the rider is above or below the required pace. If you re watch the footage, there are about half a dozen black lines and the coach stands on a set line to indicate pace.

The coach can shout etc too, but I imagine it's hard to communicate verbally with the crowd noise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mountaindood wrote:
Goes to show how important being aero is for something like this. Riding a Scott, he would have been the new record holder this morning.

Discuss.

I'm sure Team Budget Forklifts and their sponsor Cervelo wouldn't have been too pleased if he rode a Scott. He went out too hard and faded at the end. A different bike wouldn't have bettered his pacing.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: If Bobridge really wanted the Hour Record last night, why did he ride a Cervelo? [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Liaman wrote:
The only external feedback that the rider receives during the event is that their coach stands just before or after the lap marker depending on if the rider is above or below the required pace. If you re watch the footage, there are about half a dozen black lines and the coach stands on a set line to indicate pace.

The coach can shout etc too, but I imagine it's hard to communicate verbally with the crowd noise.

Thanks...in that case he should have known that we was way fast...he pretty well went out at Chris Boardman position superman pace
Quote Reply
Re: If Bobridge really wanted the Hour Record last night, why did he ride a Cervelo? [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Besides, at low yaw, a T4 is probably more aero than pretty much anything
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the quote on cycling news "I could never imagine… it’s the closest I'll ever be to death without dying I think,"

Has anyone seen power data for any of the attempts or do they ride without power meters?

http://www.thedeludedcyclist.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: If Bobridge really wanted the Hour Record last night, why did he ride a Cervelo? [justkeepedaling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justkeepedaling wrote:
At the near zero yaw angles experienced on a track, a T4 is more aero than pretty much anything

Fixed.
Quote Reply
Re: If Bobridge really wanted the Hour Record last night, why did he ride a Cervelo? [deludedcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
deludedcyclist wrote:
I love the quote on cycling news "I could never imagine… it’s the closest I'll ever be to death without dying I think,"

Has anyone seen power data for any of the attempts or do they ride without power meters?

Not sure about Bobridge, but Jens rods with a power meter and had the head unit underneath the saddle. I'm not sure if Trek Factory Racing have published anything apart from Jens' av power though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the rule you can't have any feedback in the form of power/hr/pace to a headunit as well?
Quote Reply
Re: If Bobridge really wanted the Hour Record last night, why did he ride a Cervelo? [RONDAL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RONDAL wrote:
Is the rule you can't have any feedback in the form of power/hr/pace to a headunit as well?

Yes. No visible pacing data. Track is old school.
Quote Reply
Re: If Bobridge really wanted the Hour Record last night, why did he ride a Cervelo? [RONDAL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RONDAL wrote:

As Wens said, no visible metrics are allowed.
Any data collected is strictly for review purposes after the event
Quote Reply
Re: If Bobridge really wanted the Hour Record last night, why did he ride a Cervelo? [wens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wens wrote:
RONDAL wrote:

Yes. No visible pacing data. Track is old school.

It's old school until a record is set that no one is willing to attempt to beat. Then they change the rules to make it easier.
Quote Reply

Prev Next