Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Using [brand new] regular pads for carbon rims
Quote | Reply
I did a search (but my google-fu is not up to snuff).

I know that using regular pads that have been used on aluminum braking surfaces is a no-no (i.e., switching from aluminum rims to carbon rims using the same brake pads).

I want to bike tomorrow morning using my carbon hoops, but can't find my carbon specific brake pads.

I do have a set of regular brake pads that are brand new and unused. Can I use them on my carbon wheels? (after tomorrow, I will buy new carbon specific brake pads anyway).
Quote Reply
Re: Using [brand new] regular pads for carbon rims [Alfalfameister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The braking will be very bad, especially when it's a little wet. I would also not go on any downhill sections if I were you. Other than that, I don't think the carbon rims will get damaged from non specific brake pads.
Quote Reply
Re: Using [datomakin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced some time trials for a few years using the standard pads on Zipp carbon rims. I never noticed any damage to the rims, one thing I did notice is that the pads wear very quickly. If you're using new pads I don't think you'll have issues with damaging the rims, biggest issue is accelerated brake pad wear compared to carbon specific pads.
Quote Reply
Re: Using [brand new] regular pads for carbon rims [Alfalfameister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, guys.

It will be a one time use (then I get the carbon-specific pads when the LBS opens later in the day). No downhills anyway, so nothing to worry about.

Thanks again! Much appreciated.
Quote Reply