Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running after Lapidus Surgery
Quote | Reply
Wanted to find out who has been successful at competitive running after Lapidus surgery? When did you start running and any tips for a faster recovery? My surgeon has said that PT is not always necessary but wondering if it helps speed the recovery. My left foot was done on 12/30/14 and my right foot is scheduled for 3/10/15. At 4 weeks I am in an air cast and weight bearing 25% on my whole foot with no pain. Just trying to gauge what I should expect from other athletes experiences. Was it worth it!
Quote Reply
Re: Running after Lapidus Surgery [tifftiff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a bump for you. Most aren't running for at least 3 months post Lapidus arthrodesis since it takes a long while for the joint to fuse solid and remodeling will actually take place over an entire year. Ultimately, you should be fine since not only was your bunion (I'll assume) corrected, but also some midfoot instability that you likely had. Just follow your surgeon's advice carefully - perhaps ask about water running and/or using an AlterG treadmill in your area since you can run at reduced weight and keep some muscle tone since you are staging yours pretty close together and will likely loose a lot of muscle tone.

Re: Running after Lapidus Surgery [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank You Rroof! it seems like the Internet is littered with multiple experiences that went wrong and not so many that went right. I tried to find some sort of success percentage for return of function and have been unsuccessful. I appreciate your response greatly!
Quote Reply