Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rims for wet weather riding
Quote | Reply
Winter riding in the PNW chews up rims pretty fast. I have been utilizing HED Belgiums for the last several years and seem to go through a set about once a year. Most of the winter miles happen on a CX bike with V-brakes using Kool Stop Salmon pads. For now I get the wheels re-built on the same hubs (PT rear hub) as they burn out, but this is getting to be expensive. I clean my rims with soap and water after wet/muddy rides and watch the pads for alloy shards, etc.

Are there any alloy rims that are particularly more durable than others for riding in crap conditions? Is there a way to tell? I prefer wider (23mm or larger) rims. Tubeless compatible is a plus as well.

I am looking at disc brakes as well for the future but would rather not buy a whole new bike if I can avoid it.
Quote Reply
Re: Rims for wet weather riding [JesseN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is your indicator that the brake track is worn out?
Quote Reply
Re: Rims for wet weather riding [-Mike-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monitor periodically with a straight edge across the brake track, then follow up with a caliper measurement when I start getting scared. Generally pull the plug when they drop below 1mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
does Mavic still make the Open Pro Ceramic's? Those were really good in the wet...

edit - just checked a couple of sites... nope...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jan 29, 15 12:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could check out some of BHS's rims. I don't know if they are more durable but likely cheaper, like this one: http://www.bikehubstore.com/C472w-p/c472w.htm

I usually get 1-2 winters out of a front rim and maybe 3-4 winters out of a rear rim here in Denmark with maybe 6,000-7,000km of riding per winter. I read somewhere recently that Campagnolo (and likely Fulcrum - they are a Campagnolo brand) is using a softer brake track material so is not holding up that well in bad conditions. Thinking back, I have used a couple of Fulcrum rims on my winter bike that didn't seem to last that long.

I have a set of HED Jet 6 (23mm wide) and you could feel the front rim had been worn down a bit after a very wet 200km road race with lots of hills, so maybe HED is using a soft aluminum for the brake track too?
Quote Reply
Re: Rims for wet weather riding [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...By contrast I have been racing on Jets for the last 3-4 seasons and they show very little wear, though they get far fewer miles comparitively.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Jet rear rim doesn't show much sign of wear either and the front rim wear seems to be mostly from that particular wet race. So I haven't got problems with them per se either - but probably like yours they are race wheels so are kept in good shape and are not getting as many miles and are not seeing snow/mud.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JesseN wrote:
... and watch the pads for alloy shards, etc.

The pads are the key in my experience. You can't always see it, but the pads will take on road grit that acts like sand paper on alloy rims. I learned my lesson one year when I literally wore through a brand new alloy rim in 9 months because I was too lazy to clean my pads after riding in the rain. You really need to remove the pads and sand them down to good material after they get all that rain grit in them.

Bikes are amazingly reliable and can be abused more than people think, but there are 3 things I make sure I look at frequently:
-chain (wipe and lube)
-tires (pressure and condition)
-brake pads(remove/clean/sand down)

You can let most of the other stuff slide unless you just like having a clean bike all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Rims for wet weather riding [bluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or just use Koolstop Salmons and be done with the brake pad situ. My rims have lasted forever, in spite of having lived in the PNW for quite a while.

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suddenly don't feel all alone. I too commute daily in the PNW on a cx bike and am faced with replacing my HED Ardennes CL after less than 2 years - they just can't seem to handle the inevitable wet road grime anywhere as well as they should. The front rim is borderline but the rear brake track is actually concave. After less than 2 years.

That said, I've got a 5+ year old pair of the Ardennes FR on a road bike that are in stellar condition, but they've rarely seen any adverse conditions.

In the distant past I have even split much burlier MTB rims as a result of *heavy* use in rain, grit, etc., but that was as a bike courier. I expected far more longevity from these hoops.

Kiwami NA Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I doubt that you'll find rims that are significantly hardier. Going for cheaper rims that will last roughly the same amount of time is probably the cheapest long term solution for you.
Quote Reply