Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Things to know before riding 200 miles in a day. [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The_Mickstar wrote:
Things I learned while training for & racing Dirty Kanza last year...

1. Comfort is king. Weight & aerodynamics don't mean shit if you're hurting before the halfway point. Anywhere you touch the bike (feet, butt & hands) needs to be as comfortable as possible. I would recommend a full cycling chamois, plenty of lube, and not wearing a Camelbak. Get a frame bag that will hold a 3L bladder instead. Not only will the weight of a Camelbak on your back get old, it will also get hot. For your hands, either use thick/cushy tape or double wrap your bars. Wear padded gloves. Find a saddle that disappears. For me, that was a Brooks Cambium C17. (I wasn't on a tri bike, though. Thank God!) Run the widest/cushiest tires that you can.

2. Stay on top of your nutrition & pacing. You will pay for even the slightest mistakes. Eat & drink on a regular schedule, whether you're hungry/thirsty or not. Have options for nutrition. You will get sick of everything eventually.

3. Give yourself options for hand position. Your ride won't be as grueling as Dirty Kanza, since it's on pavement, but your wrists, neck & shoulders are still going to get tired/sore. I have aerobars on my gravel bike. Not necessarily for aerodynamics, but just for a place to rest my wrists & hands.

4. Stand up & stretch before you need to. Your back is going to get tight. Delay that as long as possible.

5. Bring a pump & plenty of tubes/patches/boots. Do not rely on CO2. Shit happens.

I am "racing" the Dirty Kanza 200 next Saturday. Not sure what I got myself into. I have done 4 Ironman races but I hear 200 miles on gravel is way worse. Just hoping to be done before it gets dark. Are you racing again?

John Snyder @URNotAsCoolAsMe
Quote Reply
Re: Things to know before riding 200 miles in a day. [Snyderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First of all, thank you everyone for the advice and encouragement to "go for it"

Tomorrow is D-Day, I have one buddy coming with.

Chamois cream-Check
Many bottle cages-Check
Spare tubes-Check
Pump-Check
Directions-Check
Bike-Check
Fitness-Meh, sort of.

I'm just posting this on here as extra motivation for when it starts hurting tomorrow. They say it's easier to follow through on goals if you announce them to others. I figure this forum is as good a place as any to do that..

Don't forget to unclip!
Quote Reply
Re: Things to know before riding 200 miles in a day. [Armstronium] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will be fun, enjoy the ridiculously high heat and humidity forecasted tomorrow here in "cold" Minnesota. I used a camel back at Almanzo and the Lutsen 99er and don't regret that decision one bit. Don't ride hard, just take in the miles as the arrive.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Things to know before riding 200 miles in a day. [Armstronium] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing Denver to Mt Evans (~125 miles, but not flat) in solidarity with you! Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Things to know before riding 200 miles in a day. [gtyrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
May the winds always be in your favour.

Don't forget to unclip!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We do a ride every year across the state of Iowa (not RAGBRAI) we do it in a day. Most of they guys we ride with have tri bikes. Make sure you plan your stops, 25-35 miles. What will help is if you coordinate with people to meet you at some of the stops who will ride the next section or two with you, this will help your mind from going into dark places where you're cussing every time you pedal.

Have some sort of support, someone tailing you in a van would be ideal.
Quote Reply
Re: Things to know before riding 200 miles in a day. [YoYoMcG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that's that then. 185-ish miles, 2 stops 11.15 hours according to Strava and the worst pain was in the feet, I need wider shoes it seems. According to Polar's Training Load calculator I'm supposed to avoid any activity till the end of Tuesday, and I am totally fine with that. Major props to my riding buddy Ridge, without whom, I would definitely have called it quits around mile 140. By the way, those state trails through Minnesota are NICE.

Don't forget to unclip!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Armstronium wrote:
Well that's that then. 185-ish miles, 2 stops 11.15 hours according to Strava and the worst pain was in the feet, I need wider shoes it seems. According to Polar's Training Load calculator I'm supposed to avoid any activity till the end of Tuesday, and I am totally fine with that. Major props to my riding buddy Ridge, without whom, I would definitely have called it quits around mile 140. By the way, those state trails through Minnesota are NICE.

Wow. Nice work.

Only two stops in 11 hours? You should get the Iron Taint award for the week....

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job. Sound like you definitely earned a few beers and a few days off.
Quote Reply

Prev Next