Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TrainerRoad - Best Virtual Power Trainer?
Quote | Reply
I've used TrainerRoad a LOT with my Computrainer, but recently moved to Melbourne Australia from the US and didn't bring the Computrainer with.. I want to get going on TrainerRoad again though, but can't afford another Computrainer right now. What's the best "virtual power" indoor trainer for TrainerRoad? When I say "best", I mean which trainer will be the most consistent/accurate for TrainerRoad to calculate power?
To be clear, I can't afford a power meter, Computrainer, Kickr, etc.

Thanks!
Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad - Best Virtual Power Trainer? [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can get your hands on a Kinetic trainer I've got a NIB inRide that'll give you power and HR on your phone.

It's going for $179 on Kinetic's site, I'll ship this for $110. Damn sight cheaper than pretty much any other power meter.

DanH
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just started using TR on the Computrainer two months ago. In my other house, I use virtual power on an old Minuora mag trainer. This thing probably cost $79, twenty years ago and it works pretty darn good for virtual power. Mine's not even on the list but if you get a trainer that's on the TR virtual power list, I don't think you'll have a problem.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a crappy nashbar adjustable fluid trainer and as far as I can tell the virtual power is very consistent. I have no idea how it compares to *actual* power, mind you, but I also don't really care about that as long as it's consistent (a power meter for outdoors is not in my budget). I make no argument that the nashbar trainer is "good". Rather, my guess is that any trainer that the Trainer Road dudes have a power curve for is fine. I am a stickler for consistent tire pressure and clamp force though...that's the key.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Kurt Kinetic Road Machine is a favorite of the TrainerRoad folks for good reason. It's a really nice, solid trainer.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kurt kinetic and cycleops fluid 2 are the 2 models commonly recommended. Both similar in price. Both similar in quality and level of noise. Bike bugs sometimes has the cyclops on sale if you can pick up from store in Melbourne.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad - Best Virtual Power Trainer? [RizzaNZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RizzaNZ wrote:
Kurt kinetic and cycleops fluid 2 are the 2 models commonly recommended. Both similar in price. Both similar in quality and level of noise. Bike bugs sometimes has the cyclops on sale if you can pick up from store in Melbourne.

I have both. I have used both with Virtual Power (now using a power meter).

I would recommend the KK over the Fluid2, although Fluid2 is definitely a good unit. KK has a slightly better built and the drive is designed to last longer. Both gave me decent estimates (when compared to power meter) under 300w, they both start to fall apart (or the trainer curve at TR is just wrong) over 300w. Fluid2 also tended stray a little bit more once the fluid had heated up.

I don't have hard numbers as I didn't care that much, but if you can spend the extra 100$ or so on the KK, I'd recommend it. else you'll still be happy with a FLuid2.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad - Best Virtual Power Trainer? [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lordhong wrote:

I would recommend the KK over the Fluid2, although Fluid2 is definitely a good unit.

same

I've only used the Fluid 2 with virtual power but I own both a KK and a fluid 2 as well, my choice would be the KK.

I had the fluid 2 first a bearing went bad I didn't want the down time and the GF showed interest of getting on the trainer so I bought the KK to use while waiting for the new resistance unit to come in. I will only use the KK from now on.

She is putting out no power and likely will never see any real issues with temperature but it seriously pissed me off on the fluid 2 even when using crank based power, the KK is a lot more consistent and at least when it does heat up the change in resistance is slow, the fluid 2 is light a switch.
Quote Reply