Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Be nice to bad swimmers [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Actually, it doesn't really matter if I think you are exhibiting good manners. as you say, it isn't necessarily apparent whether it is being rude or lack of skill.

What matters is your own attitude. Only you can judge that. Yours seems to be pretty darned good. in practice, I attribute just about everything to a mistake by someone else. I don't assume that someone is swimming diagonally across the course intentionally. I don't assume that someone is actually trying to kick me in the nuts. I tend to be pretty relaxed about things, I just try to not be a dick. I hope that others also try to not be dicks.

It's called being Canadian :P

Also, this topic reminds of this old video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3S0wu4Zbfk
Quote Reply
Re: Be nice to bad swimmers [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I don't assume that someone is swimming diagonally across the course intentionally. I don't assume that someone is actually trying to kick me in the nuts. I tend to be pretty relaxed about things, I just try to not be a dick. I hope that others also try to not be dicks.

Exactly. My attitude is everybody is trying their best and nobody does something intentional that impacts me, so if I get swam over, blocked on the bike, or whatever, I just deal with it, don't let it bother me, and move on. Hope most other folks view it the same way, even though I know a small minority may not.
Quote Reply
Re: Be nice to bad swimmers [cwhyte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cwhyte wrote:
Strongly agree that self estimating times makes more sense than age group swim starts and would be good for most involved.

Except the drafting on the bike would be even worse if larger groups exited the water together.
Quote Reply
Re: Be nice to bad swimmers [cwhyte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As others have said, so long as you're not being a dick, all is good. And I don't consider weaving or going diagonal from time to time being a dick. It's part of the learning process.

Seeding by time would be fine, but, self seeding comes into play as well with age group waves. Passing swimmers from previous waves or on loops has never bothered me a wit. The only time I was seriously pissed though was when a dude self seeded front row middle in my age group and proceeded to frog kick me in the face within 100m or less of the start because he needed to do breastroke. I haven't read the other thread yet, so I don't know if that was the issue involved.

Edited to add: just read the other thread and that was the issue involved. I didn't see anyone that had a problem with slower swimmers. Just one intentionally obtuse guy that apparently requires a rule to not be a dick. Don't be that guy and all is well.
Last edited by: chriskal: Jan 29, 15 19:43
Quote Reply

Prev Next