Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Scott Plasma 20 2012 just not fitting
Quote | Reply
I bought the above over a Shiv in summer 2012 as I was made an offer I couldn't refuse pricewise - and long before I knew enough about fitting to know I shouldn't have jumped in on the bike without a fit done first. I did a half on it (my first) and was reasonably comfortable, achieving my nice and slow "get through it the first time" goal of 3:00 flat for the ride. Later, I got a Retul fit done and since then I'm finding the bike damn near impossible. I'm unable to hold aero on it for more than 10 minutes without shifting. I'm now training fairly hard for my first full IM next year and was considering changing my road bike; i've now trashed that idea as it's actually fine - it's the TT bike that needs to go. I've included some fit co-ords below. I'm 183cm, 86kg so no lightweight, and have relatively short legs/long body build (32-32.5" inside leg).

If I do change it, I'd like to look at a Shiv again or, more likely as it seems better value at the 7.5 level, a Speed Concept. Your thoughts are appreciated and welcomed!

Retul info....

MEASUREMENTS & ANGLES

Saddle Height
BB to center of saddle profile

MAKE/MODEL: Plasma 20 STEM: -6 X 90
NAME: David Cochrane SPACER STACK: 90 SIZE: 56 CRANK LENGTH: 172.5
YEAR: 2012 PEDALS: Look
STYLE: Road SADDLE: ISM
NOTES: BARS:

Handlebar Reach
tip of saddle horiz to bar top
Handlebar Drop
cen of saddle profile to bar top •134 mm
neg denotes denotes bar
below saddle

Saddle Setback
BB horiz to front tip of saddle neg denotes saddle behind BB
-34mm

Grip Reach
tip of saddle horiz to front end 741 mm
of grip
Grip Drop
cen of saddle to front end -29 mm
of grip, neg denotes grip lower

Saddle Angle
angle of saddle to horizon neg denotes nose down

-5 deg

Bar Reach
center of bar to back end of grip

140mm

Eff. Seat Tube Angle
BB to center of saddle profile 79 deg

Grip Width
grip center to center

Grip Angle
angle to horizon
pos denotes front end up

37 deg

BB to Grip Reach
BB to front end of grip

707mm

Frame Stack 527mm

Frame Reach
BB to center of headtube top

Handlebar Stack 627mm

Handlebar Reach
BB to center of bar

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 20 2012 just not fitting [davecochrane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not exactly clear what you're wanting advice on. If you had a fit on that bike and it isn't comfortable it means the fit is bad, not necessarily the bike.
If you had a fit on a fit bike and can't achieve the target position on the bike you have then that is an issue with your bike.

Also, you don't have enough of the important measurements listed to be able to determine what would suit the listed position.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 20 2012 just not fitting [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry - you're quite right. I was misguidedly hoping that someone might identify an inherent mismatch between my fit co-ordinates and known stack/reach etc. of the bike in question. My other issue with the bike is that the fork and rear triangle are seemingly too narrow to fit many of the more popular aero wheelsets - I'd at least like the option to rent nice wheels for events, but it looks like that's a no go for anything from Firecrest on and a few others too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was your fit on that bike or on a fit bike. Can you post screenshots of the report?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by davecochrane [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was done on the Plasma, rather than the fit bike (which was there).

Here's a link to the report....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByOvo8LLGTioWTM1cDBPdk1wZ0k/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for any suggestions.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not very helpful that he didn't record Pad position (the most important bit for tri bikes), or at least I can't see it.
You either need a much taller bike or much taller aerobars. What are the bars on there and/or do you have a pic of the bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone else's pic of the same bike, bar the ISM saddle....

http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/images/scott-plasma20-12-1000.jpg

My bike from a terrible angle...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByOvo8LLGTioRFR2RzlEdjh2N2M/view?usp=sharing

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your aerobars look quite short for your height, I suspect that is most of why you can't stay in them comfortably (pad reach is a corollary of this observation).
You would be better served by a larger bike, but I'm not really seeing that this one is stopping you from getting into a comfortable position. You may need a better fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be helpful if you could indicate what aspect of your TT position is uncomfortable. Do you feel pressure in your deltoids or lower back? Do you have trouble breathing freely or do your hip flexors feel disengaged at the top of your pedal stroke, etc? I've never had a professional fitting but I have a good fit and I feel that the most valuable practice is to be introspective about how you feel while trying to achieve an aggressive, aero position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz and Louie Chee are on the right track. You got a "fit" that isn't working for you.

If you want to try to get it sorted out, then throw up a good video of you on the trainer, and describe the issues you are having.
Quote Reply