Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Split nose saddles and athletic pubalgia (sports hernia)
Quote | Reply
Has anyone developed athletic pubalgia (sports hernia) after switching to a split nose saddle? I'm wondering if maybe I did. Beginning of last season I switched to an Adamo Race2. LOVE IT. Really nothing bad to say about the saddle and not trying to bash it.

In early august I developed athletic pubalgia as well as an avulsion fracture of the pubic symphysis at the same location (because like an idiot I didn't back off when it started to hurt nor involve a PT, just ground it out and finished the season). After my last race in September I shut it down and rehabbed with PT and yoga. Almost all pain resolved and on January 1 I started training again.

Things have been going well and run/bike strength and endurance are returning. I alternate every few days between my road bike with a standard saddle and my triathlon bike with the Adamo saddle on an indoor trainer.

Yesterday I did a long (for me, 2:45) ride on the standard bike. Today, on my low intensity recovery ride today, on the triathlon bike, I started feeling some discomfort right at the spot where I had suffered the avulsion fracture and where the athletic pubalgia occurred.

Has anyone else found this association? Does the split nose put increased strain on the pubic symphysis because that's where ones weight is supported rather than the "sit bones." Would others switch back to a standard style saddle if this happened to them and if so, is there a consensus standard saddle that former split saddle devotees feel is comfortable for an IM ride and supports more weight on the "sit bones"?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Split nose saddles and athletic pubalgia (sports hernia) [Asilverm1970] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump for the evening crew. Anyone have a similar experience? Maybe I've just revved up the training too fast and it's an overuse issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Split nose saddles and athletic pubalgia (sports hernia) [Asilverm1970] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My sports hernia was definitely not caused by my Adamo Road. I did not feel the seat itself agitated the hernia when I tried to ride, but the closed hip angle definitely did. Road bike (also split nose saddle) was much more comfortable although I ended up doing IMLP on the tri bike while still recovering from the hernia. I don't recommend that.
Quote Reply