Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A higher kick in the water to improve the swim?
Quote | Reply
Really trying to improve my swim this winter with help from the ST forum. Being so slow, relative to many on ST, gives me a lot to think about (in addition to effort) while boosting distance (now regularly doing 15K a week).

Compared to other times, some days feel like I am dragging in the pool. My legs seem to be dragging below me and I wonder by how much?

A new measure for me on how much my tail is dragging in the water is to lift my foot or feet behind me to know. I’m often surprised at how far my knee has to bend and foot has to go upward to break the surface of the water. Sure enough, I was really dragging my legs and I know better.

Besides measuring how low the legs are in the water, the action of raising the heels to get to the surface corrects the problem. Raising that foot towards the surface shifts my body in the water balancing me on my chest.

It felt weird at first because it didn't seem possible to be that far off. In the past, I probably was making small corrections and not the big one needed. In a short amount of time though I’m getting some relief since my rear end is no longer dragging. Swimming gets easier and measured times faster.

This is not a drill. It's something that can be done off the wall or mid pool. Measure how deep the kick is by raising it to the surface, then keep it up there and you too might find swimming faster. For me, it takes less effort to get the feet up than to continually swim with deep feet.

Oh well, one more humbling experience from the MOP and BOP to share.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: A higher kick in the water to improve the swim? [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While you are experimenting with body position & kicking, here's something you might give a try. 25 kicking on your back, streamline position, followed immediately by 25 freestyle (good pushoff/streamline for this too) and see if you notice better body position is arrived at almost effortlessly. I've had success rates ~40% using this with swimmers where they were not made aware of the intended purpose, then polled to see if they'd noticed any difference from their normal swim. Swimmers who breathe very high and force their hips down tend to overwhelm the effect and it does them no good. Those who are closer to proper alignment but a bit high will be the biggest beneficiaries. For a few, the effect is nearly as good as using a PB and they express astonishment at the difference it made. Unfortunately, the effect is not sticky and will subside quickly. Repetition is key. 10 x 50 as 25KoBK/25FR ( ten times fifty done as 25 kick on back and 25 freestyle ) as part of your warmup/cooldown will help you begin to make it stick.

And there is this ST thread you might enjoy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, easier to have a more streamlined body alignment than to swim with more drag. Choose reduced drag over a stronger pull because the power option will wear you down and beat you every time. Here's the first of our Leg series of vids: http://www.theraceclub.com/...tip-legs-propulsion/
Quote Reply
Re: A higher kick in the water to improve the swim? [gregn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregn, +2 to your comments and the other thread you directed to me too.

Yes, to kicking on the back as I can feel a flutter kick developing rather a compensating kick. It's also harder to kick upwards which develops the kick. I probably haven't dedicated myself to this because my legs are already tired from running and cycling (dead(er) legs at age sixty?), so tend to swim with a 2 beat kick.

Yes, to knee bend from the other thread. I visualize my leg on the floor and even with some toe point my leg won't go straight. Therefore, I can see that if I straighten my leg then I will be creating drag with that foot. Visually it seems like the knee could bend to the degree the ankle doesn't bend to create a faux toe point while swimming.

When I was first kicking high, it felt like a 90 degree bend to have my foot flat with the surface. And suddenly it felt like water pressure on the metatarsals that I normally experience with fins.

Thank you for your information. The feedback helps when experiencing something that feels new.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swimming with a 2 beat kick is perfect. now the mission of having those legs straight isnt always easy. I do have athletes in your age group that struggle with the same problem.

A drill you could try is to use the pull buoy but holding it at your ankle. This will most likely force very straight legs. It might kill your core ;)

From there, developping a kick 2 beat kick, relax, fluid, and high on the water would set you up for the best chance at improvement. The important aspect is to understand that kicking is only there to hold with timing of your stroke.... it s not there to keep you high on the water or for propulsion.

To help developpe the 2 beat kick, i often ask athelte to try to drive/initiate the rotation of the body with the hips instead of the shoulder...i encourage them at driving the hips hard side to side. The first almost instinctive reaction to this is a matching 2 beat kick with proper timing.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: A higher kick in the water to improve the swim? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I woulda thunk you'd be pushing the ankle band right about now :)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: A higher kick in the water to improve the swim? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i find it more effective to push the ankle band when i m there physically to teach it. There is lots of room for mistake when people misinterpret how to work with it!

i m not completly against kick... or IM! just at the right time!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very true. very true.

as an aside, I'm gonna try to convince coach to set up a force measurement device like SharkFM has in that other thread. Might be interesting....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jonnyo, thanks, I'll try these things for greater awareness and strength (love to work that core for about five minutes at a time).

Jason mentioned the pull buoy between his ankles in a previous thread and I tried it briefly. It felt like more effort than buoy with cord around ankles. I'll try it some more.

You've mentioned the buoy when tired. After a brick or if I'm trying to squeeze something out of the last five minutes and keep my speed up rather than slow down, I use one.

Thank you for sharing on ST what you do with triathletes.

PS you also mention high in water and other swimmers mention that as a good thing. Perhaps I have felt high in the water less than others. Is that a good thing and how does a person achieve it.

Thanks in advance if you have the time to reply to "higher in the water".

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
jonnyo, thanks, I'll try these things for greater awareness and strength (love to work that core for about five minutes at a time).
Jason mentioned the pull buoy between his ankles in a previous thread and I tried it briefly. It felt like more effort than buoy with cord around ankles. I'll try it some more.
You've mentioned the buoy when tired. After a brick or if I'm trying to squeeze something out of the last five minutes and keep my speed up rather than slow down, I use one.
Thank you for sharing on ST what you do with triathletes.
PS you also mention high in water and other swimmers mention that as a good thing. Perhaps I have felt high in the water less than others. Is that a good thing and how does a person achieve it. Thanks in advance if you have the time to reply to "higher in the water".

How high you "ride in the water" is virtually directly proportional to how fast you're swimming. When I sprint all-out on a 25, I'll be riding much higher than if I'm just doing an easy 500 warm-up or cooldown. It's just the same as with a boat: the faster the boat goes, the higher in the water it rides. I think I can say pretty definitively that there is no secret that allows a person to ride higher in the water unless they are swimming faster. So, it all goes back to working on your speed:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply