Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathletes and RDs, how about a runner's triathlon? [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't a runners triathlon one where the run is last? I would think a swimmers triathlon would be with the swim last. I don't understand?

How about someone doing a trial IM triathlon this weekend in reverse order and report back! Use a pool so you have a lifeguard. I would be interested to see if it really is easier physically and logistically.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and RDs, how about a runner's triathlon? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
for a sprint to olympic distance, they're fine.

I've never done a reverse, but I did do a double sprint once. I think it was about a 500m swim, 10k bike, 3k run, twice through. The second swim was really ugly for the folks without a solid swim.

The smart ones ran with their cap and goggles and put them on before they got to T3

are you talking about the fearless race put on by forum member/ ST contributor lars?
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and RDs, how about a runner's triathlon? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, this was a little local event back home in Bermuda.... I forget what years, maybe mid - late 90's??

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not take it one step further and let the athlete determine which order they do the 3 events. If' I'm a swimmer perhaps I want the swim last, or a runner who wants the run last, etc. The initial issue I see here is a frantic T1 and T2 zone where everybody has their own objectives. Also making a course where the bike and run don't intersect causing any crashes would be important. Not too many places where you can close down that many roads but I'm sure it's doable.

I think it's a novel idea and would be fun to try once or so but I'd never stick to it because ultimately the standards are this way regardless of where in the world you are. To me this would be gimmicky and thus short lived, but I could be wrong!

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and RDs, how about a runner's triathlon? [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cshowe80 wrote:
Why not take it one step further and let the athlete determine which order they do the 3 events. If' I'm a swimmer perhaps I want the swim last, or a runner who wants the run last, etc. The initial issue I see here is a frantic T1 and T2 zone where everybody has their own objectives. Also making a course where the bike and run don't intersect causing any crashes would be important. Not too many places where you can close down that many roads but I'm sure it's doable.

I think it's a novel idea and would be fun to try once or so but I'd never stick to it because ultimately the standards are this way regardless of where in the world you are. To me this would be gimmicky and thus short lived, but I could be wrong!

now this is damn interesting!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and RDs, how about a runner's triathlon? [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 cshowe80, it is kind of gimmicky. I've heard of races that are up a gradual uphill one year and down the gradual hill the next year. Perhaps friends get off on besting each other in one way or the other.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and RDs, how about a runner's triathlon? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir, are there results posted for any of those races so we could formulate some opinions?

Also the bike after the run wasn't too wobbly or dangerous? Transitions? DNF that you remember?

Thank you in advance for your answers and results if available.

PS If it's not available, maybe the one Jason did is out there on the web.

And correct, this may never get to be an annual race somewhere; but as a one off or for the ITU guys or pros it may make for good theater and TV.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I doubt the results are online anywhere. This was sometime back in the 90's, and the BTA site only shows results back to 2010. I think they've gone through 3 or 4 versions of the site since then. The google doesn't turn up anything either.

It wasn't a big race, maybe 30-50 competitors.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
Andy and all,

Thank you for more information from your experience. A couple questions though.

1) Won't wearing a wetsuit, help make people "drown" proof? It could take a lot of lubricant to get in a wet suit though, admittedly. Good for the industry.

2) Would a swim platform every 400yds or 800yds help? Like aid stations on the run, it is swim legal to hold onto something during a triathlon that is not helping progress. Having a sag boat rather than a sag wagon would be in order to pull people from the swim platforms or water. There would be a swim cutoff - 2.5 hours?

3) Actually thinking there might be more attrition and more people not even making it to the water this way due to time cutoffs. True?

4) I would hope this would make the swim more viewable. It's hard to see what's happening with swim first. This would make the entire race more viewable. Triathlon's version of Jaws like drama. Will the fast swimmer catch the slow swimmer?

5) Actually more concerned about injury on the bike than the swim. People get tired and go down. How much more so after a marathon, I wonder?

6) How we would have to train our heads for these reverse triathlons. Is a 10-30 minute lead enough???

7) True, we probably could start the marathon earlier, at civil twilight ?, which gives us more light time to work with for the race.

8) Remember that RD who was promoting his race by knocking the others? This type of triathlon might be the unique one that they're looking for to differentiate themselves from others.

Thank you for having some fun with this along the terms of if we were crazy enough to do this, what would we have to cover.

1) We do a bike/swim/run at Triple T and don't need any lubricants to get in a wet suit.
2) Those are called kayaks or surfboards
3) I wouldn't think so
4) Matter of opinion I suppose
5) Another matter of opinion
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and RDs, how about a runner's triathlon? [PanamaRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PanamaRed, you could be right about this being more of a swimmers' triathlon and others share that view. Perhaps mistakenly, thinking that the runners would lead the race longer than they do now, I was labeling it a runners' triathlon.

Can't think of a triathlon where the swim has been the defining event of the race. Bike yes. Run yes. Having the swim last would give the swim the potential to be the defining moment of the race and perhaps we would get closer to a race where the swim, and each race segment, is critical to victory.

Would Mirinda run with the men throughout the marathon if the marathon was first? I'd like to see that video, if it happened that way.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Setup Events has hosted a number of "double sprint" races in NC over the last ten years or so. I've done a couple of them. The format is usually 375m swim/1.5 mile run/20k bike/1.5 mile run/375m swim. It doesn't seem to change the balance of the race too much, probably because the distances are so short. Some of the weaker swimmers do seem to fall off more in the second swim than the stronger swimmers.

I've enjoyed the ones that I have done. It makes for a higher intensity race and good spectator exposure. I noticed specifically how much easier the first run felt compared to the second. I like the idea of non-traditional races. It makes things more interesting but the participation numbers are usually lower which seems like it would make them unlikely to really catch on.

If you're wanting to see some of the old results, they are all online at the archive link below. Just scroll down to J.F. Hurley, White Lake double sprint, or Kure Beach double sprint. The Carolina Beach double sprint is the only one currently active, its page is also linked below. Just keep in mind that in the older events, the transition splits are also lumped into the s/b/r splits so it can be hard to make direct comparisons.

http://setupevents.com/...ction=result_archive

http://setupevents.com/...ail&eventID=2691
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:

Can't think of a triathlon where the swim has been the defining event of the race. Bike yes. Run yes. Having the swim last would give the swim the potential to be the defining moment of the race and perhaps we would get closer to a race where the swim, and each race segment, is critical to victory.

The problem with the swim is a lot of good athletes can not swim! But almost every good athlete can run! To go faster in the swim takes tremendous additional energy, but to go faster in the run or bike does not require the same proportional energy expenditure.

So the swim portion is shorter, less intense and first in a triathlon.

You are right, few if any win the race based upon the swim. For my first triathlon, I was worried that my swim time was too slow, and my Coach response was: "Just don't drown and you will do well!"

As far as a close race, I would recommend watching the 2012 Oympics woman's triathlon. It was an exciting race all the way to the finish. Sara True was dropped on the run, came back and was challenging for a medal during the last few minutes and took 4th place, 12 seconds behind the winner. And if I recall the winner was determined by a photo finish!

The fastest swim time was 19:04 and the winner's time was 20:04. Pretty close with a bike and run still to go. Sara beat the eventual winner by 7 seconds in the swim, but lost to her by 12 seconds in the end. A 7 second lead does not last long. Because the swim is so short and in comparison the bike and run are longer, then a lead in the swim can vanish quickly. If we want the swim to dominate the race then we need to double the swim distance without changing the bike or run distances.

But for a sprint race in July, I would love to do the swim last especially when the air temps are 90-100 degrees! What a way to cool down while still racing!
Last edited by: PanamaRed: Jan 28, 15 17:27
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and RDs, how about a runner's triathlon? [dkidwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the Kure beach race once, it was a blast. Super hard though. First swim you are battling arms and waves. Normally it takes me a quarter to half a mile to get my running legs after a bike, but I remember this run feeling more like I couldn't get going the whole time, that and I felt really crooked for the first bit having just been tossed around in the surf. The bike felt like the back half of a 20 min test because I was already pegged from the first run. The second run was morally defeating because you knew there was not a finish line in sight. And finally the first 100m of the last swim are possibly the hardest swim I've ever done. Trying to get back out through the surf starting with a HR in the 170s or 80s! It was super hard to go from that high work rate to having to hold your breath. Then to finish with a little 30m uphill run on soft sand, whoa, I'm exhausted just reminiscing.
Point is: yeah the format was hard, maybe because it was novel, but also because it is hard to swim given the restrictions on breathing that come with putting your face in the water. But in the end doing hard races is fun, a lot of fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a new triathlete last year who is a below average swimmer, I would never have even considered triathlon if swimming was not first. After a year of experience and slightly improved swimming, I am still very intimidated by the idea of starting a OW swim fatigued.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and RDs, how about a runner's triathlon? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
for a sprint to olympic distance, they're fine.

I've never done a reverse, but I did do a double sprint once. I think it was about a 500m swim, 10k bike, 3k run, twice through. The second swim was really ugly for the folks without a solid swim.

The smart ones ran with their cap and goggles and put them on before they got to T3

I'm president and race organiser of our local tri club. We hold 8 races each year, 4 tris, 2 duathlons and 2 aquathons. The duathlons are held in winter and the aquathons in summer. One of the aquathons and one of the duathlons are held as 5 leg races. So run/swim/run/swim/run and run/bike/run/bike/run. These are a great change up for our members and are always looked forward to.

We have also, in the past, held enduro tris which are swim/bike/run/swim/bike/run (pretty much the distances you've described above). We will certainly use this format again as it is very popular. You're spot on though. The second swim is very ugly. Like our 5 leg du's and aqua's, the short distances of each leg suck you in to going far too hard and I've seen massive blow ups in these races. They are great fun though and offer something different to the standard SBR format without going too far outside the box.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and RDs, how about a runner's triathlon? [cwhyte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cwhyte, exactly - you help make the point for some races with a swim last finish.

Many reasonable and inexperienced people know their limits and wouldn't do these reverse triathlons making them safer, for the experienced swimmers. Or if they are inexperienced and unreasonable, they might "blow up" or be wiser before the swim, be a DNF and out of the way.

The traditional triathlon will remain.

This reverse triathlon has been designed for experienced triathletes like Andy Potts (who is still improving) to pass everyone else during the swim and win big at the end.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Imagine having to put a wetsuit on while being dripping in sweat. Because we all know we can't swim without a wetsuit :)

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
We have thought of reasons not to have the run first; yet, there could be ways to lessen the swim risk and have a triathlon that isn't the same old same old. Perhaps we can flip them with one year being a swim first triathlon and the next year being a run first triathlon.

Imagine a run spreading out the field while the runners can show off their stuff. No more complaining about those massive swim starts that are a nightmare to patrol while looking for one swimmer in distress amongst a dense group of hundreds. By the time a marathon is done, there will be a nice long line heading into the bike transition and few groups. Maybe a 4 hour cutoff is reasonable. And in this way, maybe the runners can lead for over half the race rather than the swimmers and get more recognition.

The bike might not change that much. Runners might start spending even more money on the bike, given that they are now out ahead. Good for the industry. A longer field more spread out by a marathon, might also mean less drafting making that easier to enforce too.

The swim needs to be wetsuit legal. C'mon, the bike carried the swimmers' double digit body fat so why not have a wetsuit carry the runners' single digit body fat. That swim will be so spread out that the swim patrol will be able to watch a long line instead of a large group, making rescue easier if need be. The wetsuit, of course, lessens the risk too.

It will be a great finish! Will the runner get caught by the swimmer or will the runner prevail. Pass out numbered swim caps as they enter the water so the announcers will know who is who. Maybe even ten different swim cap colors with #1, 11, 21 etc being the same color so triathletes can get an idea of who they are passing in the water. Wow, this could make the swim a highly viewable and meaningful event.

Pretty pumped. How would this work for Mirinda, would they catch her with the swim last? How would this work for ITU, would the Brownlee Brothers still dominate (yeah, probably).

Yes, they will have to patrol the swim longer than we do now as we moved the patrol time from the run to the swim.

If we can't do this for IM due to nightfall, how about HIM? If they are Ironmen, doesn't that imply they could do it either way? Some what serious post here for fun too. Could this be an interesting change to the same old same old?

Here's a duathlon for you: http://theratsnake.com/registration/#9 Plenty of running. Then, you'll have plenty of Heady Topper and Second Fiddle along with a pig roast. Problem solved!! ;)

The Rat Snake:
A Tribute Race at Gilbert Lake State Park, Laurens, NY May 16 2015
Follow the Rat Snake on Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run, Bike, DROWN
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and RDs, how about a runner's triathlon? [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
Imagine having to put a wetsuit on while being dripping in sweat. Because we all know we can't swim without a wetsuit :)

Nah, everyone should be required to run and bike in their wetsuit if they want to swim in it, like the swimrun races in Sweden and the "Survival of The Shawangunks" in upper NY state:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and RDs, how about a runner's triathlon? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like that idea. Wear whatever you want, but you gotta wear it for the whole race. Hand paddles, cool, but you have to ride with them :)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I like that idea. Wear whatever you want, but you gotta wear it for the whole race. Hand paddles, cool, but you have to ride with them :)

Of course, this does lead to some fairly ridiculous looking pictures in those races, e.g. of guys running in a wetsuit with a pull buoy and paddles strapped to their sides. Ya, the buoy AND the suit AND the paddles. Of course, I imagine that those guys did not think they looked ridiculous, and the excuse is that they needed all that stuff "because it's so hard to swim in running shoes":)

And on the bike, all that stuff is really going to wreak havoc with their "aero-ness":)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and RDs, how about a runner's triathlon? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's even harder to run with fins!

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason, maybe, except for you, there is a lack of imagination on ST sometimes.

Yes to "wear it through races". Keeping a pair of buoyant running shoes on during the swim would be like swimming with a buoy. That would help me and many others. Maybe harder to breaststroke though. ;)

Given that video on GCN that says that we are as efficient cycling on a platform pedal without being cleated in, the bike might be just fine.

I did notice a video of the NY race and the winner put his running shoes under his tri-suit on his chest for buoyancy rather than have the drag.

The point of the runners' triathlon is so that the runners get to lead longer than they do now. Some runners never get to FOP or FOMOP or FOBOP.

A secondary effect is to keep people from starting a triathlon who think "if I can only make it through the swim". This would eliminate many of the people who know they can't swim yet do triathlons.

We don't need a wetsuit; just thought it might help with safety. If it doesn't we can go without.

Also tight cutoffs. For HIM 2hr run, 3.5hr bike, 1hr swim - with transition time race is over in 7 hours Double that for IM - with transition times race is over in 14 hours.

Quote Reply

Prev Next