Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Can a Novice Swimmer Do a Two Beat Kick? [codygo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
codygo wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
TrierinKC wrote:
I'd recommend buying a copy of Swim Speed Secrets by Sheila Taormina for any BOPMOP swimmer. She's also just released her 2015 clinic schedule. http://swimspeedsecrets.com/

Ya, i started to mention this in my first post on this thread, and Sheila's view that at least 80% of all swimmers' propulsion comes from their pull is what i was exactly alluding to when i said the OP needs to really PULL, not just go through the motions. I see this every single day at the pool with the vast majority of fitness swimmers, who seem to be much more concerned with going through the motions properly than with pulling hard. A lot of folks just have a hard time "getting it" in terms of how to pull themselves through the water. OTOH, I've seen some guys become proficient swimmers in just 2 or 3 months once someone explains to them what they need to be doing, but they are in the minority.

I think I benefited most from her horizontal sculling drills to hint at what a good catch feels like. Compared to my earlier form, I now feel like I have an immediate purse of the water which has strong resistance. In fact, now when I sprint I have even lower SWOLF scores than during easier sets. I likely have other form issues, but I went from 1:35/100 SCY to 1:21/100 SCY max effort within 3 weeks. I must be lacking fitness or form to be able to hold that pace for longer sets, but I can definitely build the force early in the catch until fatigue sets in.

Awesome, 15 sec off of a 100 scy in 3 weeks is great!!! I had a similar experience when i first started swimming on a YMCA team at age 13, i.e. big gains in the first few months but then they become much harder:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply

Prev Next