Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Schwalbe ironman tubulars [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had both.... Now vittoria and that's bullshit! Those tires are slow.
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe ironman tubulars [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
So looks like around 1 watt per tire.
That sounds about right, as tubulars use really thing butyl usually when they use it.

Well I guess that leaves Zipp as the only suitable tubular TT tire on earth

Should be more than that...probably needs to be independently tested. I don't think we know the details of the Schwalbe test rig. Don't forget, smooth roller testing differences don't translate directly to "on road" results.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Jan 22, 15 16:48
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe ironman tubulars [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have those 28's. Just got them and was thinking I was getting latex.....oh well.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe ironman tubulars [SlammedStance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SlammedStance wrote:
Snake bite on a tubular.... Lmao

They do suffer from that...in fact, the term "snake bite puncture" was apparently coined while repairing tubular tires.

http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/snakebites.html

However, latex is demonstrably less likely to puncture in that situation, which is what makes their test data even less believable...

Last edited by: Tom A.: Jan 22, 15 16:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Runless wrote:
That doesn't make any sense. Who cares what the tube is if it rolls fast. Even if you add 2 watts to Tom a's chart, the ironman rolls really well for its width. It would be slightly slower than the 23c zipp if I'm reading correctly(problems finding info on phone) but still a bit narrower.

Those two tests weren't at the same speed, and were with the One and not the Ironman.

Tom will have to get hold of one of the crappy ones to test, but I bet he won't bother.

This all makes me want to contact Specialized and see if I can get my hands on an S-Works Turbo Tubular All-Round and an S-Works Turbo Track Tubular (appears to be the same casing as the All-Round, same tread compound [smooth, not textured], same puncture belt, and is slightly narrower at 23C).

Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe ironman tubulars [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am very disappointed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SlammedStance wrote:
I am very disappointed

I'm not buying that the One data applies to the narrower IM tire...plus, it goes against all other independent testing of Crr in regards to the effects of butyl and latex tubes. Something's off...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a brand new one here if you want to test it. Not sure which it is??
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe ironman tubulars [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I nonetheless do the process, though not as much as just before. It's far more of your lessened process at this point nevertheless undoubtedly I did so lots of gymnasium do the job at the start plus it performed employ a big result. inch I'm sure that many area of the goalkeeping offers enhanced. It's hard to help select 1 region because we have did wonders along with enhanced with every little thing. David de Gea De Gea offers saved Usa with a number of occasions this season.

---------------------------------
fifa 15 coinscheap fifa coins
Last edited by: ffworld: Jan 22, 15 19:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SlammedStance wrote:
I have a brand new one here if you want to test it. Not sure which it is??

Pump it up on a rim and check it a day later. No sense in testing a latex one.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems like the butyl ones Schwalbe tested were slightly lighter than the latex one? Might be because they use very thin butyl tubes, but might be something else, which could explain the smaller than usual difference between butyl and latex in their test.

To add an anecdote. Around five years ago I bought some Schwalbe Ultremo tubular tires which clearly said latex on the shop's page and I believe on Schwalbe's product page too. They held air very well, so I became quite convinced that is was not latex at all. Ditched them after that season and switched to Vittoria and Veloflex for the next season and suddenly I was significantly faster in the TT's (had no powermeter back then so who knows how much it was down to the tires).
Last edited by: MTM: Jan 23, 15 2:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This manufacturing change is a disappointing outcome for this tire. I was planning to use them next season, but now maybe not so much.

As for Schwalbe's results, they make this comment on their website:

Quote:
The Ironman is our first ever racing tire that has been approved for a maximum pressure of eleven bar. "Such a high pressure is not recommended on the majority of roads, but on time-trial segments with a very homogeneous road surface, the high air pressure reduces flexing, and is thus an advantage in terms of rolling resistance," explained Peter Krischio

http://www.schwalbetires.com/node/4661

Makes me think that part of their protocol is to have the pressure much higher than the rest of us are likely to run and has been shown to be optimal, which I think should mean a smaller delta in Crr for the two tube materials.

Tom, is there a way some of us can contribute to your materials cost to get more tires tested, like those Specialized items?
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe ironman tubulars [AJK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Folks, Thx for providing the info regarding latex vs. butul in Schwalbe IRONMAN, including Schwalbe's response. I just came back from abroad and noticed it together with few emails from my customers. Yes, this is concerning. At the moment I am marking the products as having either latex or butyl tubes and am checking all my inventory for the correct model.
Anyone who purchased these tubies from my shop and have questions - please contact me directly at info@tiremaniacs.com.
I apologize for the confusion.
Regards
Martin
P.S.1 FYI - all Contis Attack/Force Comp tubies (also come with butyl tubes) unless they are special PRO edition not available through retail
P.S.2 I am also contacting my distributor regarding all other Schwalbe tubular tires and used with them inner-tubes.

----------------------------------------------
Racing and Training Cycling Tires
http://www.tiremaniacs.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Well I guess that leaves Zipp as the only suitable tubular TT tire on earth

What other latex tubular options are there? My experience has only been with Kenda Volare, Vittoria Evo and Schwalbe IM.

I have used Kenda Volares (latex tube and 22/24 options), but have no scientific method of claiming rolling resistance. Maybe they suck watts, maybe they don't. They have a puncture belt and I was able to get a pretty good chunk of miles on them before ripping them off to drink the Schwalbe IM Kool-Aid. I don't think I have ever seen them measured before.
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe ironman tubulars [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vittoria was the fastest for me. The 21s.
135/145 psi. I weigh 180
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I weighed 7 lbs more and used the 21's closer to 125 rear and 115 front. They rode well, but the rear was toast way too quickly. Punctures in two different spots in well under 1k miles could have been dumb luck, but that's more than I get most years. Did you ever re-test the PSI after a ride? I have a digital hand gauge that I use for mtb and cx and those tires routinely lost 3-5 psi an hour. I got twice the miles out of Volares with no issue and the Schwalbes are on track for that too.
Quote Reply
Re: Schwalbe ironman tubulars [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there any update on this?
I went to the the Schwalbe website and found this little jewel.....
What are the advantages of latex tubes?
Tubes made out of latex are more elastic than normal butyl tubes. This makes them roll a little more easily. Their greatest advantage lies in the high level of puncture protection. The highly elastic latex material is very difficult to puncture.
The disadvantage lies in poor air retention. A tire with a latex tube must be adjusted for inflation pressure before every trip. This explains why latex tubes are not well suited for everyday use.
In addition, latex tubes are very delicate and susceptible to oil,
daylight, heat and uneven expansion. The tube must also be replaced every time a tire is changed. Because these sensitivities lead to many problems in the field, we do not offer latex tubes.

Any ideas on the how the IM butlys do perform?
Quote Reply

Prev Next