Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What the 411 on St. George 70.3? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Mike Ricci wrote:
eswinner wrote:
I'm signed up for St. George. By the profile, looks like an awesome and challenging race.
If you've done this race, can you offer any additional insight?
Also looking for suggestions on places to stay, eat and train.
Thanks.

Here's something I wrote for Ironman.com - http://www.ironman.com/...e.aspx#axzz3WaaGG2GW

Hopefully it helps. Best of luck in St George!

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the write-up. I'm really excited to race St. George!

I'm intrigued by your perspective about pushing the flats and climbs on the bike and recovering on the descents. Can you illustrate what a plan might look like as a %FTP?

Scott

Scott, Thanks. I think you're ok to get up to 90-92% on the smaller climbs (less than 5 minutes), but that last long climb that's 7 miles, I would keep it tempo, right around 85% of threshold. No need to crush yourself there. If you're at the front of your AG you may want to push closer to 90% - as long as you are trained to do that and can still run well off the bike. But the conservative approach would be to sit around 85% on that long climb and 90-95% on the shorter climbs. I hope that makes sense.

Mike Ricci
2017 USAT World Team Coach
USAT National Coach of the Year
Coaching Triathletes since 1992.
Quote Reply
Re: What the 411 on St. George 70.3? [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
Mike Ricci wrote:
I think it's deceptively hard. One man's 'relatively easy' may be another man's 'oh crap, this sucks!'.

Mike, can you explain the change to the run course this year and how it affects the loops that we do on Pioneer Park. Do we do that dog leg off of 200 before the Pioneer Park loop or after? And are we only doing the Pioneer Park loop once this time? Can you explain the change?

From my 'sources', I'm told that the dog leg is on the way back in, and the dirt section in Pioneer park is only on the way out. Best advice is to line up the map with the turn by turn instructions. I hope that helps. :)

Mike Ricci
Quote Reply
Re: What the 411 on St. George 70.3? [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
writhe wrote:
Mike Ricci wrote:
Here's something I wrote for Ironman.com - http://www.ironman.com/...e.aspx#axzz3WaaGG2GW

"The first 2.5 miles are comparatively easy, because you are mostly on a slight uphill/flat with some tree coverage as you head towards Red Hills Parkway"

Ha, ha, ha, ha. This sounds counter to what others have said. I can't wait for this race!

Mike's description is right on. Except that he should have added that by the time you get to the bottom of Red Cliffs and are looking up at that hill you start to seriously ponder on the meaning of life as your life flashes in front of your eyes.

One of the athletes I interviewed for the recon article said that he was laughing for the first 30 miles wondering what the fuss was over the hills, but when he started out of Red Cliffs, he was no longer laughing. I think that's a pretty good indicator of the seriousness of the climb. Ride Smart, Run Strong!

Mike Ricci
Quote Reply
Re: What the 411 on St. George 70.3? [Mike Ricci] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Helpful article, thanks Mike!

Am signed up for 2015. Looking at the profile, am second guessing if I should use my roadie instead of my TT. I usually race my long distance tri's w a P2 and 404's. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: What the 411 on St. George 70.3? [crrodil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
crrodil wrote:

Am signed up for 2015. Looking at the profile, am second guessing if I should use my roadie instead of my TT. I usually race my long distance tri's w a P2 and 404's. Thoughts?

There is some downhill so don't discount that. Also, how well do you run off the bike after biking 56 miles in a 'road position'? In all honesty, I think you should stick with the TT bike but you could always compare how you run off bike if you could do an abbreviated simulation of the ride (rollers, hilly, with a longish climb at the end) with both bikes and see how you run off both bikes. And I'm sure the ST crowd can give you some feedback on that too. ;-)

Mike Ricci
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very helpful - thanks again! Yes, was going to do a simulated bike ride on both on the upcoming weekends before I ship it out to make sure I don't have baby giraffe legs off the roadie :) Thanks Mike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crrodil wrote:
Very helpful - thanks again! Yes, was going to do a simulated bike ride on both on the upcoming weekends before I ship it out to make sure I don't have baby giraffe legs off the roadie :) Thanks Mike!
Good luck with the rest of your training!

Mike Ricci
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crrodil wrote:

My 2 cents: You will hate going up Snow Canyon on the P2 but aside from that I think the P2 is the right choice. There is enough downhill and flattish stuff to make using the P2 worth it.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Ricci wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:
Mike Ricci wrote:
I think it's deceptively hard. One man's 'relatively easy' may be another man's 'oh crap, this sucks!'.

Mike, can you explain the change to the run course this year and how it affects the loops that we do on Pioneer Park. Do we do that dog leg off of 200 before the Pioneer Park loop or after? And are we only doing the Pioneer Park loop once this time? Can you explain the change?

From my 'sources', I'm told that the dog leg is on the way back in, and the dirt section in Pioneer park is only on the way out. Best advice is to line up the map with the turn by turn instructions. I hope that helps. :)

Thanks for the intel Mike. I'm glad we won't have to do that Pioneer Park loop twice. Sounds like a good change.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Ricci wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:
writhe wrote:
Mike Ricci wrote:

"The first 2.5 miles are comparatively easy, because you are mostly on a slight uphill/flat with some tree coverage as you head towards Red Hills Parkway"

Ha, ha, ha, ha. This sounds counter to what others have said. I can't wait for this race!

Mike's description is right on. Except that he should have added that by the time you get to the bottom of Red Cliffs and are looking up at that hill you start to seriously ponder on the meaning of life as your life flashes in front of your eyes.

One of the athletes I interviewed for the recon article said that he was laughing for the first 30 miles wondering what the fuss was over the hills, but when he started out of Red Cliffs, he was no longer laughing. I think that's a pretty good indicator of the seriousness of the climb. Ride Smart, Run Strong!

Can anyone (not necessarily Mike) compare that climb to the Pemberton climb at IMC? I can compare the numbers, just curious for perspective from someone who has ridden both.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: What the 411 on St. George 70.3? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can anyone (not necessarily Mike) compare that climb to the Pemberton climb at IMC? I can compare the numbers, just curious for perspective from someone who has ridden both.
-----------------
I ridden both but I wasn't in the best IM shape for IMC last season. Also, I'm going to be 63 next month and run a compact with a 32. The climb at Pemberton is much longer..or it sure felt like it to me. They both have steep sections. To be honest the climb at SG is tough but not crazy hard if you paced yourself. I done SG the last two years and I see as many people walking the climb at Oside as SG.

It's a great race, good luck.

PS it gets hot in the canyon.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Apr 8, 15 20:22
Quote Reply
Re: What the 411 on St. George 70.3? [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any thoughts on going from an 11-26 to an 11-28 before St. George to help out on the Snow Canyon climb?

I ride a 50/34 and live in SF area, so have been able to train on some of the hills around here, but looking for any extra knowledge.

Also, received an email today, saying that the bike course has been tweaked slightly. Any thoughts on that change? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: What the 411 on St. George 70.3? [adrooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used compaq 50/34 and cassette 11-28 when I did the race last year. I didn't think Snow Canyon was that bad, but then I love hills. I did decide to use my S5 rather than my tri bike and I'm glad I did. The course is quite rolling and Snow Canyon isn't the only spot that you will wish you had a lighter bike (IMHO). I was about 20 minutes slower on that bike course vs Vineman so that gives an idea of how difficult it is. I did go just a little conservative, but also because it was so hot last year.

Now the run...brutal...especially at 93 degrees!!!
Quote Reply
Re: What the 411 on St. George 70.3? [adrooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not a super strong rider and I rode a 50/34 with an 11-26 last year and never felt like I wished that I had a bigger gear in the back. Snow Canyon is not that difficult of a climb. It's just where it falls in the race and the length. And the fact that you have a pretty difficult run after it. Don't be psyched out by it, but if you go too hard on it you will definitely know it on the run.

By the way, Snow Canyon is tame compared to most of the climbs you'll find around the SF area so if you train on local hills you will be fine.

adrooks wrote:
Any thoughts on going from an 11-26 to an 11-28 before St. George to help out on the Snow Canyon climb?

I ride a 50/34 and live in SF area, so have been able to train on some of the hills around here, but looking for any extra knowledge.

Also, received an email today, saying that the bike course has been tweaked slightly. Any thoughts on that change? Thanks!
Last edited by: Horchata: Apr 20, 15 16:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all

I am racing this weekend in St George and my fiance is coming along to watch. She is training for a half marathon in May and wants to do an 11 mile run while I am on the bike. She doesn't have the best sense of direction, so to avoid losing her to the wilderness of the desert, would it be possible for her to parallel the run course on the sidewalk / shoulder if she started running around 8:30? With Pros not starting until 6:55 I assume they will not be on the run course until about 9 am. I noticed plenty of sidewalk on diagonal st/bluff st (google st view, I have never been to St George) but red hills parkway just has a gravel shoulder. There looks to be enough room but who knows with the race setup.

If not, any other good places to run during that time around St George that aren't too remote?

Thanks

Strava
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Longboarder [ In reply to ]

Prev Next