Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: academic journals vs. the internet [William Ockham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
William Ockham wrote:
drsteve wrote:
I'm already regretting wading into this, but it would really help if you read what they said...

Specifically, their conclusion says (also bear in mind this is a conference abstract and not a full research article, so we're light on details and review):
"Maximum mean power in competitions is too unreliable to determine whether the measures of fitness,
fatigue and freshness provided by mobile ergometers and TrainingPeaks software reflect readiness for competitions."

Their conclusion is therefore that the MMP data from races are not a reliable metric for this type of study. That's not too surprising for exactly the reason Chaparral mentioned. A road race is not typically won by giving a best 20min, or even best 1min power output. If I give my best 20 minutes of power all season in a race, it's likely that I'm not racing smart enough. A smart race is one where you work just hard enough, at the right time.

What they very clearly do not say is exactly what you are saying: that the PMC metrics cannot predict performance in competition.
Performance in competition (here defined as single- and multi-stage bicycle races) is not primarily determined by mean maximal power at any given, standardized duration. The capacity for performance, maybe, but it's a tactical team sport and heavily affected by weather, terrain, stage length, ...
That's really all the conclusion here alludes to.

They got the same results when they isolated the data for time trials. They didn't only look at road races.

Whether it is a 15k or a 40k time trial is going to affect my 20 minute power maybe more than my TSB.

Why do you keep wanting to bring up a study and then disagree with the author's explicit conclusion?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
William Ockham wrote:
They got the same results when they isolated the data for time trials. They didn't only look at road races.

How long do you think time trials are, generally?
An occasional prologue would show up in the <20min time range, but that's atypical for TTs.

----------------------------------
http://ironvision.blogspot.com ; @drSteve1663
Quote Reply
Re: academic journals vs. the internet [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
drsteve wrote:

Their conclusion is therefore that the MMP data from races are not a reliable metric for this type of study. That's not too surprising for exactly the reason Chaparral mentioned. A road race is not typically won by giving a best 20min, or even best 1min power output. If I give my best 20 minutes of power all season in a race, it's likely that I'm not racing smart enough. A smart race is one where you work just hard enough, at the right time.

I provided data to that study (though I don't know if I was included*). At no point in the time period had I done any formal testing. My power figures in races did increase as my CTL rose but still were well off fresh maximums (450 vs 500 for 5mp I think). 20MP not all that high though normalized figures were (usually ¬330-350AP, 400-420NP) as our racing is short and hilly.

I think the aim of the study was to post-collect a lot of data of normal training and racing (rather than a structured collection process) to determine whether there's a clear correlation.

*given how much data I was able to provide and that my sessions had comments for context I suspect I would have been

Thanks - that's good to know. It's similar to what I've seen with my power figures... races when I'm on good form (after building and peaking) show higher MMP (more noticeable in NP due to the nature of racing) than my early season races when I'm still building, or races after a target. I'm not in the habit of setting short duration bests during races, those come in training.

----------------------------------
http://ironvision.blogspot.com ; @drSteve1663
Quote Reply
Re: academic journals vs. the internet [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
William Ockham wrote:
Jctriguy wrote:
William Ockham wrote:
its very entertaining that the study blames the unreliability of performance for the inability of TrainingPeaks power software to predict performance in competition.

What's the deal Trev? Why is this relevant to this thread? Are you just out to get Dr Coggan?

A study using WKO 3 in a thread about academic journals vs the Internet which was started by Coggan and you ask why it is relevant?

Yes. You posted the abstract of a study. What does this do to contribute to this thread? If you want to debate the performance manager chart, start a thread. Otherwise, provide some thoughts on the topic of internet vs academic papers.

Yes good idea, let's start a thread debating the lack of scientific evidence to back up the performance manager chart.

My comment about academic journals v the Internet is this.

Coggan shouts loud and often on the Internet because his power metrics have not been scientifically validated.
Quote Reply
Re: academic journals vs. the internet [toolbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
toolbox wrote:
He's formally known as "Trev the Rev" and a troll who thinks his view of rpe and heart rate is better than all the peer reviewed science so good luck asking him to keep on topic

My view is that using power, heart rate & RPE is superior to using Power and RPE.
Last edited by: William Ockham: Jan 13, 15 15:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You shout loud and often, but provide nothing to anyone. I'll take Dr Coggan and the training peaks software over your trolling any day.

As a side note, have you noticed they call it a 'performance manager' not a race time predictor, or performance predictor. Might want to ponder that before you remove all doubt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:

As a side note, have you noticed they call it a 'performance manager' not a race time predictor, or performance predictor. Might want to ponder that before you remove all doubt.

The PMC is really a simple way of looking at load over the longer term vs load over the shorter term.
That so many people extend the concept to mean so much more than it really is highlights the need for something better.
The groupthink around the meaning of certain values is quite amazing.
That this meaning was tested in a scientific study and found wanting is not all that surprising.

But something better doesn't really exist yet, and so the PMC is all folks have.

Quote Reply
Re: academic journals vs. the internet [liversedge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
liversedge wrote:
something better doesn't really exist yet, and so the PMC is all folks have.

Yup, and given issues like overparameterization, it may be the best we ever have (although that hasn't stopped the search for alternatives...just ask the AIS, British Cycling, etc.).
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Jan 15, 15 3:59
Quote Reply
Re: academic journals vs. the internet [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
Shouldn't the title of that article be "Maximum mean power in competitions is too unreliable to determine if measures of training stress in cyclists usefully predicts maximum mean power in competitions"?

Given the way the data were analyzed and presented, the answer is yes. However, I suspect that they may have overlooked some important relationships by focussing so much on correlations (as I indicated to Hamish...but he's got a degree to finish, so I can understand why he apparently hasn't followed up on my suggestions).
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Jan 15, 15 4:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
have you noticed they call it a 'performance manager' not a race time predictor, or performance predictor.

My original name was "Training Manager"*, but the folks at TrainingPeaks changed it when I licensed the idea to them.

*OTOH, one of my beta testers, Frank Overton (http://www.fascatcoaching.com), lliked the approach so much he dubbed it TSTWKT: http://www.fascatcoaching.com/realtstwkt.html
Quote Reply
Re: academic journals vs. the internet [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
I suspect that they may have overlooked some important relationships by focussing so much on correlations.

For example, there isn't much in the way of a correlation between performance and TSB in the data that served as the basis for slides 20-22 in this presentation:

http://www.slideshare.net/...=&from_search=11

Yet, there is clearly a relationship between TSB and performance in these data, or the distributions wouldn't look the way they do.

(Another important consideration is the duration over which power is measured/produced...being "fresh" is much more important when you're talking about something like a track race than a road race.)
Quote Reply
Re: academic journals vs. the internet [Dtyrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dtyrrell wrote:
There are a lot of scientists, particularly in the UK (that I know of), doing sports science work, who are active on Twitter

Speaking of which, I found this entertaining...maybe you will as well:

http://genomebiology.com/2014/15/7/424

(BTW, my K index is <1...maybe I should start tweeting more?)
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Jan 15, 15 8:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Dtyrrell wrote:
There are a lot of scientists, particularly in the UK (that I know of), doing sports science work, who are active on Twitter

Speaking of which, I found this entertaining...maybe you will as well:

http://genomebiology.com/2014/15/7/424

I have heard of the K-index, but never read the paper.

Mine is 1.1 with my single publication so far, but I guess I'll be <1 when our next paper comes out.

An interesting tidbit though - I tried to calculate Dr. Oz's K-index (even though he's technically a surgeon and may not be publishing much). "Oz M [author]" is too common of a name; however, I did find out that Time Magazine is indexed on PubMed. I think this could bring this thread back around to the original topic. Thanks to the US Government, I now have access to some wonderful research about...

The Oz diet. No more myths. No more fads. What you should eat--and why. - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21932635
Charms of the quiet child. Big personalities may get the applause, but reserve can be a gift, and a little shyness can be o.k. - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22355878

Dtyrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:

Some follow ..
Quote Reply
Re: academic journals vs. the internet [liversedge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
liversedge wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:

Some follow ..

I did say "more" (not that having a high K index is a good thing).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread that probably really should be in the Lavendar Room, but I saw this today and thought it relevant:

http://svpow.com/...tific-communication/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
William Ockham wrote:
Well here is a paper which some might find entertaining.

If TrainingPeaks and Coggan's measures of fitness, freshness and fatigue can't predict performance what is the point of them?

""
Measures of training stress in cyclists do not usefully predict maximum mean power in competitions

H.A. Ferguson1, C.D. Paton2, W.G. Hopkins1

1Auckland Institute of Technology, Auckland, New Zealand; 2Eastern Institute of Technology, Napier, New Zealand.

Background
Many competitive cyclists use mobile ergometers to monitor power output during training and competition rides. A training-impulse model is then often used to combine a training-stress score from each ride into measures of "fitness" and "fatigue", the difference in which is interpreted as a measure of "freshness" that might predict competitive performance.

Purpose
To determine the effect of fitness, fatigue and freshness the day before cycling competitions on physiological indicators of performance in the competitions.

Methods
Twenty male and four female competitive cyclists (29 ± 9 y, 71 ± 7 kg, mean ± SD) provided recordings of their SRM or Quarq mobile ergometers for training rides, 55 time trials (16-40 km), and 447 mass-start road races over a 6- to 8-month period. TrainingPeaks software (version WKO+ 3) was used to synthesize fitness, fatigue and freshness scores on the day before each competition and to extract maximal mean power (MMP) for four durations (5 s, 60 s, 5 min, 20 min) from the competition ride. The within-cyclist relationship between each measure of training and each measure of performance was investigated by producing scatterplots of the deviations from each rider's mean training and mean performance measure for time trials and road races in single-day and multi-day competitions. Mixed modeling was used to quantify the relationship as the linear effect of a change of two within-cyclist standard deviations of the measure of training, assuming a smallest important change in performance of 1%.

Results
Individual typical variation in maximum mean power from competition to competition ranged from ±7.1% (5-min MMP) to ±14% (5-s MMP). Scatterplots were generally consistent with a random relationship between the indicators of performance in competitions and the measures of training the previous day, and all effects of training measures on performance measures were unclear.

Discussion
The uncertainty in the relationships between the measures of training and the measures of performance is due to the extremely poor reliability of the measures of maximum mean power. Contextual information about each competition ride might improve the reliability by helping to filter out or otherwise account for poorer performances. Alternatively other measures of performance from competitions are needed to determine whether fitness, fatigue and freshness usefully predict competition performance.

Conclusions
Maximum mean power in competitions is too unreliable to determine whether the measures of fitness, fatigue and freshness provided by mobile ergometers and TrainingPeaks software reflect readiness for competitions. ""

Hmmmm, that's my study, and I don't think I have drawn on more information and had a ton of support over the years from people like Andy Coggan, Robert Chung and Jim Martin.

While it has got me a Masters Degree and closer to a seat at the big boys table as a scientist I and many others are more than well aware of the limitations of the study.

If you want proof Andy's concepts are wrong I wouldn't look to this study. When I get on to publishing it it will be heavily rewritten.

H.A. Ferguson

Hamish Ferguson: Cycling Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
William Ockham wrote:
toolbox wrote:
He's formally known as "Trev the Rev" and a troll who thinks his view of rpe and heart rate is better than all the peer reviewed science so good luck asking him to keep on topic

My view is that using power, heart rate & RPE is superior to using Power and RPE.

Oh okay WO is Trev. And Noel is posting his nonsense here as well.

Parents, don't let your kids do drugs: gives people an undeserved sense of importance and makes them imagine stupid s**t!

Hamish Ferguson: Cycling Coach
Last edited by: Kiwicoach: Apr 26, 15 16:48
Quote Reply
Re: academic journals vs. the internet [Kiwicoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This forum needs a like button :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next