Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Deaf in one ear
Quote | Reply
I just came out of surgery to remove an acoustic neuroma. My doctor was unable to save my hearing on that side.
Anyone know anyone with a hearing impediment still racing ?
Quote Reply
Re: Deaf in one ear [Louamerica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't hear near shit during races because I remove my aids

makes everything less hectic/noisy :-)

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Last edited by: raygovett: Dec 20, 14 16:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lou - I can appreciate your concern but doubt it'll be an issue. Many of our "more seasoned" triathletes have moderate, even severe hearing deficiencies. It's not at all uncommon for those with hearing aids, for example, to leave them at the swim start and collect them upon water exit. The main difference is that your loss is acute where they've like had a slow deterioration over many years. I suspect that after a "break in" period, like those whose sight is diminished, that you'll do just fine.

Good luck, John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Less of an issue for racing. If the loss is on your left side (in the US), be extra careful when biking.

I swim with earplugs and once forgot to remove them in both T1 and T2. Whole I found it irritating (like doing the whole race with your head in a fishbowl), it did not impact my ability to race.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huh?
Quote Reply
Re: Deaf in one ear [kjanracing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been deaf in the right ear for a very long time. You just get use to the feel and your body on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Deaf in one ear [Jimster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Completely dear in my right ear....no significant impacts with respect to racing or training and I have no trouble hearing traffic on the bike. I will say I have 0 chance of understanding anything someone says to me on the bike if they're riding on my deaf side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work in a Deaf school. Several of my Deaf colleagues race.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many people go through life with one good hearing ear. You will be able to adjust. Hopefully, you have no significant vestibular impairment. That could affect your ability more so than the hearing loss in your recovery period. Most importantly, protect your good ear.
Quote Reply
Re: Deaf in one ear [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnpostmd wrote:
Lou - I can appreciate your concern but doubt it'll be an issue. Many of our "more seasoned" triathletes have moderate, even severe hearing deficiencies. It's not at all uncommon for those with hearing aids, for example, to leave them at the swim start and collect them upon water exit. The main difference is that your loss is acute where they've like had a slow deterioration over many years. I suspect that after a "break in" period, like those whose sight is diminished, that you'll do just fine.

Good luck, John

Stick them in your bento box on your bicycle. Stick them in the ear(s) at T1 and away we go. Works for me. I don't need to hear anything while swimming-just need to stay with the same colored swim cap at the start.
Quote Reply
Re: Deaf in one ear [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just read their lips, funny as it sounds I've been doing this for over twenty years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm completely deaf. Doesn't stop me from training or racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Deaf in one ear [shotts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shotts wrote:
Completely dear in my right ear....no significant impacts with respect to racing or training and I have no trouble hearing traffic on the bike. I will say I have 0 chance of understanding anything someone says to me on the bike if they're riding on my deaf side.

+1, but it's my left ear that's completely deaf.

I'm down ~55dB in my right ear, too, however.
Quote Reply