Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Icy water time limit
Quote | Reply
Have been rowing this week and was wondering if my shell flipped how much time I have to get my ars out of the water?

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: Icy water time limit [mustangchef] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not much. You'll find that your arms and legs will quickly lose feeling and become useless. Stay close to shore and wear a pfd. A dry suit is also a good thing.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
X 2 on the advice to stay close to shore -small PFD may seem like wussy but may extend the time you have to get to said shore.

In my kayaking experience, you should try flipping the boat near shore -- <10 yds, just to experience the limited time you have to get out and start running or wrap up.
Forget the boat, save yourself.

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Last edited by: raygovett: Dec 20, 14 17:03
Quote Reply
Re: Icy water time limit [raygovett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
raygovett wrote:
X 2 on the advice to stay close to shore -small PFD may seem like wussy but may extend the time you have to get to said shore.

In my kayaking experience, you should try flipping the boat near shore -- <10 yds, just to experience the limited time you have to get out and start running or wrap up.
Forget the boat, save yourself. Agreed. Thank You , everything just froze over again, so I wasn't able row.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In water less than 15 c or 60f you should have a pfd and as much of your body covered as possible.

Studies show that below this temp exposure of the groin, under arms or face can cause an immediate : gasp reflex; reduced breath hold time; muscle rigidity and in some cases severe cardiac problems. All of which can prevent your survival.

Your chance of death from inadvertent water immersion without pfd is 25%.

you can acclimatize by repeat exposure, this will reduce symptom severity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Icy water time limit [tonythetriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tonythetriguy wrote:
Here's a video with your answer:
https://www.facebook.com/...?v=10153393781990375
That is so elfin crazy. A great read on this is "Swimming To Antarctica"
There have been some years where I have adapted to some pretty cold water. It takes time and discipline, but is fun to experiment with.Thanks for the vid.
http://www.amazon.com/...wimmer/dp/B0013L8AQQ

sometimes
Quote Reply