Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: OMG the inhumanity of it all... [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:
-20 C by Monday.
Perfect bike weather today though. No wind and about -2C. Unfortunately my ride turned into a bike/run brick when one tire decided it really didn't need to hold air anymore. Looks like I need to learn more about that tubeless technology but at least MTB shoes are easy to run in compared to roadbike shoes.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: OMG the inhumanity of it all... [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
NMGal wrote:
Funny post! Hope you are having fun.

yeah, it was all fun and games until yesterday. i can't remember being more miserable in my life. 5 hours and after 3 i came back for more clothing and still finished absolutely wrecked. maybe i'm just getting to old for this.

and if i don't see the sun soon (literally have not seen it since it set during the flight) i just might have to shoot myself...

but, all the kids are now together and that is so very, very sweet (until i see the kitchen in the morning after they've gone to bed... :))

You really need to get over yourself.

PS did you write the first post after a significant amount of drinking?
Quote Reply
Re: OMG the inhumanity of it all... [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
As others have mentioned, the SF Bay Area is quite mild compared to lots of the US. I've been out here 15years and never needed more than toe covers, knee warmers, and a rain jacket for even the worst days. Running never requires more than a long sleeve tech tee. You're probably highly heat acclimated, but will adjust in a week or two to the new environment.

It's warmest at about 3:00PM (mornings are always cold...even in summer here), so schedule your workouts then if you can. Also, we've been getting unseasonably high rainfall the past few weeks, but that's coming to an end...so the SAD will fade; hang tough. Also avoid OWS, the water is freezing here year 'round.

Well for the sake of your neighbors, I'm hoping you get lots of shorts and pants for Christmas. I can't imagine doing with out those. Also I hope your long sleeve tee's have a long waist too. Talk about inhumanity! Merry Christmas!
Quote Reply
Re: OMG the inhumanity of it all... [corneliused] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
corneliused wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:
As others have mentioned, the SF Bay Area is quite mild compared to lots of the US. I've been out here 15years and never needed more than toe covers, knee warmers, and a rain jacket for even the worst days. Running never requires more than a long sleeve tech tee. You're probably highly heat acclimated, but will adjust in a week or two to the new environment.

It's warmest at about 3:00PM (mornings are always cold...even in summer here), so schedule your workouts then if you can. Also, we've been getting unseasonably high rainfall the past few weeks, but that's coming to an end...so the SAD will fade; hang tough. Also avoid OWS, the water is freezing here year 'round.

Well for the sake of your neighbors, I'm hoping you get lots of shorts and pants for Christmas. I can't imagine doing with out those. Also I hope your long sleeve tee's have a long waist too. Talk about inhumanity! Merry Christmas!

So I take it you've never run Bay to Breakers.....or Saturday evening at Wildflower.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: OMG the inhumanity of it all... [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we have had one day of sun since we left our country. i was so seriously scarred by that one bike ride i really never wanted to go out again but my husband convinced me and bundled up like a little kid on their first trip to the snow, i headed out. and i survived (i know you were wondering). i kept telling him to find more hills to go up (warm) until i remembered we'd have to come down (cold!). oops! honestly i don't know how you guys do it.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: OMG the inhumanity of it all... [Drdan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drdan wrote:
Wow. Good job you don't live in Alberta.

Why? It hasn't been seasonal all year except for part of November. How the hell am I going to ski with all the snow melted? 2x now and don't even think about snowshoes. This sucks, it's TOO warm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
we have had one day of sun since we left our country. i was so seriously scarred by that one bike ride i really never wanted to go out again but my husband convinced me and bundled up like a little kid on their first trip to the snow, i headed out. and i survived (i know you were wondering). i kept telling him to find more hills to go up (warm) until i remembered we'd have to come down (cold!). oops! honestly i don't know how you guys do it.

You have done a couple IMs and yet you can't get used to the cold?
I am no fan of the cold either.
But as long as you keep moving, you can actually run in 50 degrees with only shorts and short sleeve shirts on.
It is all "mental" after you got good blood circulation going.

I have seen people run a marathon in shorts and short sleeves in a snow storm. So it can be done. (haha... I wouldn't do it though)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thermostat batteries caved out last night. 15C in the house right now 12 last night... and gently warming up to 20 or so. Good thing for insulation, its -11C out at the moment. My mom's dad used to yell at her and her sisters when leaving the door open in winter "You're heating Alberta!"
Last edited by: realAlbertan: Dec 26, 14 8:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:
Thermostat batteries caved out last night. 15C in the house right now 12 last night... and gently warming up to 20 or so. Good thing for insulation, its -11C out at the moment. My mom's dad used to yell at her and her sisters when leaving the door open in winter "You're heating Alberta!"

OMG too funny! we got the same thing as kids but the opposite - air conditioning Alabama.

Quote Reply
Re: OMG the inhumanity of it all... [woof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
woof wrote:

But as long as you keep moving, you can actually run in 50 degrees with only shorts and short sleeve shirts on.

I have seen people run a marathon in shorts and short sleeves in a snow storm. So it can be done. (haha... I wouldn't do it though)

well, yesterday i had a hat, gloves, 2 tights and 3 tops and didn't quite warm up (and doing my "speedy" (for me) 6min/km pace) so not so sure aobut that. :)

i've actually done 4 IMs. not one allowed wetsuits. this is the first time we've been outside the tropics in wintertime for some 7 years or so. so, no, after a week still not used to the cold. :)

Quote Reply
Re: OMG the inhumanity of it all... [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's 45 in Maine today. Do you think I'll get frostbite if I take my bike out?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think how you feel about the cold is how I feel about the heat.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you're not alone in your disdain for the cold. I live in Texas and should be riding outdoors nearly all year, as soon as December hits though I am on my trainer until March. Also, it's tough to find anyone who will ride with me when its around 40/50. I like riding alone but after a few close calls with distracted drivers I'm trying to avoid riding alone.
Quote Reply
Re: OMG the inhumanity of it all... [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rest of Canada see the cold snaps and ignores the chinooks (unless they are in the deep freeze).

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: OMG the inhumanity of it all... [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's 45 in Maine today. Do you think I'll get frostbite if I take my bike out?

Sunburn is more likely...enjoy this great weather!

Quote Reply
Re: OMG the inhumanity of it all... [BorrachoMatador] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought Texans were Manly men... guess not.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:
I thought Texans were Manly men... guess not.

not when it comes to the cold...I'm a complete coward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
woof wrote:

well, yesterday i had a hat, gloves, 2 tights and 3 tops and didn't quite warm up (and doing my "speedy" (for me) 6min/km pace) so not so sure aobut that. :)

i've actually done 4 IMs. not one allowed wetsuits. this is the first time we've been outside the tropics in wintertime for some 7 years or so. so, no, after a week still not used to the cold. :)

You must have jumped into water that was 20 to 30 degrees colder than air temp. That shock sucks... can be tough to breath for a couple minutes. But you get used to it and swim on. So that would mean "mentally" you can get used to it. Apply it to your running.
Quote Reply
Re: OMG the inhumanity of it all... [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kdw wrote:
You've been pretty vocal about how much you hate the cold in the past. I find that if one goes into an experience expecting to hate it they'll usually end up being right. Are you really complaining about temps in the 60s because honestly, that's pretty much still shorts and ss jersey weather.

Yep. You want cold, try running x-country at 7700 feet on the Western Slope in Colorado in January. Some of our morning runs in were in the negative teens/20's at the start.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply

Prev Next