Login required to post replies

HED 3 Front and Rear
Quote | Reply
Anyone using this setup? Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: HED 3 Front and Rear [Chisholm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yup, the 2nd gen Specialized version.

no desire to change either. I actually sold them to a friend when I switched to a 650c bike, then bought them back after a couple of seasons after I switched back to 700c.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run Conti 20mm Super Sonics or you're giving up a large chunk of time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used to, I switched to a disc + H3 front, but I think H3 front and rear is a really fast setup! Some think it's a little hard to handle in high winds, but I had the misfortune to ride that setup in hurricane force wind gusts one day, and survived.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran that set up for several years before switching to a disc. I had very few issues with side winds, although being subjected to 50 mile an hour side wind did cause a sudden change of direction. Disclaimer, I am 6'2'', 175lbs. I compared times with the H3/H3 and H3/Disc on a 10 mile tt course and the difference pretty minimal especially if you factor in wind, fatigue levels, etc. I ran a 19mm tire on the front and a 23mm on the rear.

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out
Quote Reply
Re: HED 3 Front and Rear [2wheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First time I ever rode that H3 setup was in Joshua Tree, during a severe wind warning. It was an.... experience. I also now ride a H3 front and disc cover, and still, if I haven't ridden the H3 in a while, takes a while to get used to the feeling as it reacts to sidewinds/gusts. But the disc tends to stabilize the whole thing.

But rode the twin H3s for 4-5 years, and liked them. And that's without even running the right tires on the front :) A trispoke will have a little less give than a spoked set, I didn't really notice it until going longer than 70.3 though
Last edited by: ChrisM: Dec 19, 14 12:47
Quote Reply