Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Good swimmers: how do you feel after a workout? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Smug?
(I'm not a good swimmer btw!)

Dont complain about the results you did n't get from the training you did n't do.
Quote Reply
Re: Good swimmers: how do you feel after a workout? [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You did GREAT! Proud of everything you're accomplishing. Sorry I didn't get to chat more....had to run to the next holiday obligation.

I'll take my 50 (first time in the water since 10/11) & be happy with it. Did 40 on 1:45, 10 kick w/fins on 1:30-1:40 & some EZ snorkel on 2:00.

My shoulders are definitely tight today. The overall fatigue may ratchet up tomorrow. What a great way to get back in the water though!

AW
Quote Reply
Re: Good swimmers: how do you feel after a workout? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel great from early morning masters until I get to work and sit down at my computer. Then it's nearly impossible to stay awake!

I hate that only swimming does this to me—not the hardest of bike or run workouts! If it weren't for a good masters coach in the morning, I'd be exclusively a night swimmer for this reason. ZZZZzzzzzz

Rusch Racing | website | @maggieru | Instagram
Ask me about: Alto Cycling | Cuore | Base Performance | XTERRA Wetsuits | Cadence Run Company | First Bourn. Coached by: Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Re: Good swimmers: how do you feel after a workout? [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! It was great seeing you and everyone else...I haven't seen a lot of the regular crew since IM Chattanooga...l think most everyone was taking it easy this fall (or swimming in the morning...I'm allergic to 5:00 a.m. swims). Shoulders were a bit fatigued yesterday evening but I feel pretty good today. I ended up averaging 1:56/100 for the 10,000 so I have a ways to go before I can get in the 1:45 lane ... and I haven't laid off for 3 months! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JoelO wrote:
Thanks! It was great seeing you and everyone else...I haven't seen a lot of the regular crew since IM Chattanooga...l think most everyone was taking it easy this fall (or swimming in the morning...I'm allergic to 5:00 a.m. swims). Shoulders were a bit fatigued yesterday evening but I feel pretty good today. I ended up averaging 1:56/100 for the 10,000 so I have a ways to go before I can get in the 1:45 lane ... and I haven't laid off for 3 months! :)

JOOC, what length pool: 25 yd, 25 m, or 50 m???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
50 meters, which, for me, works out to about 1:46/100 yards for the set. Btw, I noticed I made it into the top 5 for swim distance in the last 7 days...my brief moment of glory. :)
Last edited by: JoelO: Dec 22, 14 12:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LCM...we had the entire gamut, from the speedsters holding <1:30 (or something like it....I didn't even look at them), the 1:40-1:45, the 1:50, the 2:00 & then I think 2-3 more lanes with the expected progressive intervals...there was quite the crowd there over the course of the day doing whatever distance they felt up to. It's one of my favorite days of the year in the pool....

The year we got stuck SCY it was quite the battleground...still the same spread of intervals...I was in the 1:30 lane.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JoelO wrote:
50 meters, which, for me, works out to about 1:46/100 yards for the set. Btw, I noticed I made it into the top 5 for swim distance in the last 7 days...my brief moment of glory. :)

Quite respectable!!! What interval were you leaving on??? Was this your longest swim ever???

Quote Reply
Re: Good swimmers: how do you feel after a workout? [maggieru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maggieru wrote:
I feel great from early morning masters until I get to work and sit down at my computer. Then it's nearly impossible to stay awake! I hate that only swimming does this to me—not the hardest of bike or run workouts! If it weren't for a good masters coach in the morning, I'd be exclusively a night swimmer for this reason. ZZZZzzzzzz

Why hate it??? Just go with the flow and nod off for a few min if you have to; as long as you're not in a one-on-one meeting, no one will likely notice:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in the 2:15 lane. The 2:00 lane would have been tough...might of been able to hang for a few thousand but probably couldn't do the whole thing on that interval. This is my second year swimming with AWARE and our group. Last year I went 6,100 meters...that was my longest up until this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Good swimmers: how do you feel after a workout? [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AWARE wrote:
LCM...we had the entire gamut, from the speedsters holding <1:30 (or something like it....I didn't even look at them), the 1:40-1:45, the 1:50, the 2:00 & then I think 2-3 more lanes with the expected progressive intervals...there was quite the crowd there over the course of the day doing whatever distance they felt up to. It's one of my favorite days of the year in the pool....

The year we got stuck SCY it was quite the battleground...still the same spread of intervals...I was in the 1:30 lane.

I've never done 100 x 100 in LCM, only in scm or scy. When doing scy, I'm in the 1:30 lane also. TBH, I'd really rather do 20 x 500, just to keep the counting to a lower number:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JoelO wrote:
I was in the 2:15 lane. The 2:00 lane would have been tough...might of been able to hang for a few thousand but probably couldn't do the whole thing on that interval. This is my second year swimming with AWARE and our group. Last year I went 6,100 meters...that was my longest up until this year.

Big congrats then, now you're a full-fledged swimmer with your first 10,000 meter workout under your belt!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I know the additional volume this fall is helping my times. I hit 1:17 for 100 scy at last Wednesday's practice...a pb for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JoelO wrote:
Thanks. I know the additional volume this fall is helping my times. I hit 1:17 for 100 scy at last Wednesday's practice...a pb for me.

Pretty good!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Good swimmers: how do you feel after a workout? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After 7100 scy in the pool this afternoon, it was all I could do to stay upright in the shower afterwards; just barely had the energy to take the dog for an hour walk this evening:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The first year or so that I swam I was always famished after a meal.

Back then I read something along these lines ... Your upper body muscles have fewer mitochondria, less intrinsic fat cells and are more predominantly fast twitch muscles, they are the white meat. Your power body muscles will have a higher amount of mitochondria, more intrinsic fat and more slowtwitch muscles, they are the dark meat.

From that idea flows the idea that after swimming, you burned a lot of glycogen and afterward your body is responding. By contrast, after a hard run, your body burned a lot of fat and liberated a lot of ketones and you aren't as hungry.

Now, personally I don't exactly buy it. I think it probably oversimplifies things.

However, I can say that after two years or so I didn't get the famished feeling that I did in the first year and I didn't et glycogen depleted from training or racing in swimming like I did the first year. I have a picture of myself and my family after my first competitive swim, it was several hours later and I was OUT of it, you can see it in the picture. I don't get that way any more, or rather it takes much more swimming for me to get that way.

Whether that's how you should feel? Not sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Good swimmers: how do you feel after a workout? [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I swam in club and college, I'd be hungry. All the time. It probably had more to do with the 18-20 hours per week in the water, plus 3 days of weights per week than anything to do with swimming itself. That, and being a teenage boy, who are always just hungry anyways.

Now, in my 40's, I don't feel any hungrier than normal after a swim.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know that I'd call myself a good swimmer, but I'm so much better than I was in my 20+ years of tri I feel like a 'good' swimmer. In the swim world I'm a bottom feeding algae slug!

That said I'm just tired, but there is zero regret as in ache like running would give me. If I ever tried to run as hard and as frequently as I swim I'd be a cripple in a week. I can swim as hard as I want 5-6 days a week with no kinds of pain that make me regret it. Discomfort is probably the word.....I'm just very comfortable with the discomfort that comes with swimming hard. I always have a case of the hungries......and my 'weight' problem is that I can't 'wait' for the next meal. I will say over the past 5 months with hardly any swimming due to work travels that I could easily become a fat ass as my appetite hasn't waned. Got a wee bit of an MTB tire going on 'round the waist! It's ok I could use a little more cusion at 6'1" and 175 I'm hovering around that level where I can look like a skinny refugee if I don't watch it. Being an emaciated triathlete has no appeal to me any longer.
Quote Reply
Re: Good swimmers: how do you feel after a workout? [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Hungry
2. Strong endorphin buzz, stronger than any other workout
3. Stink like chlorine, even though I preshower
4. Exhausted, weak upper body
5. Tightening upper back
Quote Reply
Re: Good swimmers: how do you feel after a workout? [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hiro11 wrote:
1. Hungry
2. Strong endorphin buzz, stronger than any other workout
3. Stink like chlorine, even though I pre-shower
4. Exhausted, weak upper body
5. Tightening upper back

This is so true for me that I forgot to even mention it, since it has been a given for so many years:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hungry...kinda like this

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I've had a swim heavy winter thus far that's set to continue and I'm curious to know how I should "feel" after workouts. To put it in relative terms:

Swim?

Like I'm the Hulk and I want to take selfies of how jacked my shoulders and lats feel...

(jk... not really)
Quote Reply

Prev Next