Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Power Meter or Sexy Race Wheels? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A nice wheel set is somthing that you can enjoy 24 hours a day when it blings up your ride and it just makes the bike look real nice so I would go for a good pair of wheels. As for the power meter, a lot of people here are under the impression that a power meter is some kind of magic wand that a perfroamce fairy can wave on you and then "poof" your become faster, but it does not work that way especially when the athlete has existing problems that have not been taken care of( riding a compact chain ring, no mental conditioning, improper diet, etc). Furthermore, Athletes have been going almost 8 hours flat in Iron Man triathlons and cyclists were setting world records long before power meters existed and even today, tri and cycling athletes are going incredibly fast with out PM so I woulnt waste your money on one unless you hasve some really deep pockets.I would Buy a wheel set instead.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter or Sexy Race Wheels? [Bull_Winkle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I completely agree with Bull_Winkle. If you don't have an understanding of power meters or a coach to guide you, it's a waste of money right now. Get the wheels, keep training and racing, and learn how to use power or get a coach. Then you can buy the power meter.

But, to be honest, it's hard to beat Trainer Road and training with power. But it's really all about your goals and what you want. Wheels give you immediate satisfaction and it's fun to ride with them. Power is a long term thing

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Dec 19, 14 8:17
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter or Sexy Race Wheels? [mdakolios] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
think of it this way:
Race wheels are an immediate improvement on race day. There is also a cap to race wheels. You won't get 2 min faster on your first race then 2 more minutes faster at the next race. it's 2 minutes.

A power meter is a tool that can/should/will yield a performance benefit > that of race wheels but will do it over time. It's a minute here, a minute there, :30 here and there.

One is a quick fix that is capped in benefits, the other is a long term uncapped solution.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter or Sexy Race Wheels? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People on Slowtwitch love power meters.
Less than half of the people racing Kona used power meters.
I only saw a few without sexy wheels.

Reference for Power Meters at Kona:
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...-power-analysis.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Powermeter NO BRAINER!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mdakolios wrote:
I am pretty new to triathlons and I only have a certain amount of funds, so should I buy a power meter or some aero wheels for my new tri bike?

Just starting out?

I'd buy a coach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since no one has mentioned it, I'll say that you don't want to be the poser showing up to the local sprint tri with a hot bike and race wheels.... Only to finish midpacker or worse. As others have said, get whatever that will improve your engine, whether that's a pm or hrm or trainerroad etc. don't buy into the hype of having to show up looking "sexy" if you can't back it up. Always better to outperform expectations, I say.

Just my 2 cents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I don't give a rats arse what anyone thinks of my ability. But that's not the point of my post. My advice would be to somehow get an affordable set of race wheels (day after Christmas sale?), and then get going on Trainerroad with virtual power. As you do the sweet spot workouts on Trainerroad, you will become more familiar with your ability (power related). In addition, read Friel's Powermeter handbook to get a handle on training with power.

Next year, when you buy a power meter (and you WILL buy a power meter), you will find that your virtual power numbers were strangely close to your actual power meter numbers. you will also have lots of knowledge about training with power, and it will all come together.

Do you have plans to do a 70.3 or 140.6 next season? If not...the power meter can wait.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter or Sexy Race Wheels? [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice. Yes, I am training for Ironman Louisville in October. I just upgraded from doing a 70.3 on a road bike to a 2014 P3. Pretty pumped about that. Next gotta save for a power meter!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If doing 140.6, than get the power meter. The sooner the better. Borrow or rent race wheels. Just my uneducated 2 cents.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wheels.

Intuition and feel is a lost art. Ever since I started covering up my power data, I have gotten faster from A-B. When I analyse the power data, I'm always surprised how much steadier my power is and how spot on it is.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter or Sexy Race Wheels? [Bull_Winkle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bull_Winkle wrote:
but it does not work that way especially when the athlete has existing problems that have not been taken care of( riding a compact chain ring, no mental conditioning, improper diet, etc).

Quote Reply

Prev Next