Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flip Turns w/Pull Buoy
Quote | Reply
Over the past year I've learned to do flip turns and I can do them fairly well now. That's made swimming so much better for me, by the way. But when I try to do flip turns with the pull buoy I get jacked up, especially if I'm using paddles too. Is there a trick or do I just need to practice until I figure it out? Or do I just suck?
Quote Reply
Re: Flip Turns w/Pull Buoy [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flip with a bouy you'll get eventually, just practice. With paddles I can't do it. I mean I can but its so unnatural that I get distracted from focusing on my form.
Quote Reply
Re: Flip Turns w/Pull Buoy [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
where do your arms go when you flip? They should be nearly stationary throughout the actual flip part of the turn, always pointing back to the far end of the pool. a lot of folks stick their arms out to the side and windmill around the turn.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sucking at something is the first step to being kinda good at something, so don't fret.

If your issue is that your feet are coming apart try putting a band on your ankles for some sets to get the "feel" of it. The paddles are probably just what Jason said, don't windmill and keep them stationary - use your core to flip, not flailing your arms and legs.

Abell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all of the comments.

Here is what I used to hone my flip: https://www.youtube.com/...MyIna8w&index=10
Quote Reply
Re: Flip Turns w/Pull Buoy [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
where do your arms go when you flip? They should be nearly stationary throughout the actual flip part of the turn, always pointing back to the far end of the pool. a lot of folks stick their arms out to the side and windmill around the turn.

My palms stay very close to the surface. That said, I have three paddles none of them are exactly "flip turn friendly":
-Finis Agility (if my hand is angled just slightly the wrong way the paddle comes right off my hand
-Finis freestyler (same problem)
-These:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i use the finis agility paddles myself. never have a problem with turns with them, or any other paddle.

make sure you start with your palms down, and keep them there.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get SIM shorts or LAVA pants. Problem solved.
Quote Reply
Re: Flip Turns w/Pull Buoy [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it just takes a little practice to learn to flipturn with paddle an pullbouy or pullkick (the kickboard/pullbouy combo)

we start from the top
- head folds in and looks at belly button,
- arms either go downwards so they pointforward as fast as possible (the easy way) or go backwards (the shortest and most efficient way) (dont try to use your arm to turn around while flipping, it wastes energy, can hurt your shoulders since you are wearing paddles, and often end up in sending you in the wrong direction, where pushing off first and then pointing the right way fixes it.)
-fold at hip
- depending on technique and old or new school, bend more or less in your knees (remember that the pullbouy should stay between legs without you engaging the adductor muscles, so relax thouse beeping legs!!!)
- feet dorsal flex so they are ready to push off.

- push off with entire leg.
- careful with the dolphin kicks, as they may move the pullbouy.
-turn around so you have belly down and keep going.

et voila you have made a flip turn with bouy and paddles, remember to practice, practice and practice some more.

if you are using one of the pullkicks that do not have the hourglass shape that makes it easy to hold between the legs, you might have to tighten your adductor muscles when flipping, but remember to relax afterwards.

if you struggle a lot to keep the bouy between legs and it jumps out, you can take the strap from a pool belt at hold it snug till you get it down the the art :)

edit: here is a video of a pile of flip turns, some of them are great others not so much, but look at it and focus on how they dont move their arms more than highly necessary and bend their legs (dont look at the silly kids turning around before pushing off)
Last edited by: berchrker: Dec 18, 14 13:54
Quote Reply
Re: Flip Turns w/Pull Buoy [berchrker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Remember that post a week or two ago about people overusing pool buoys? Well, a lot of us overusers have no problem flipping with paddles, pool buoys, and snorkels...AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Flip Turns w/Pull Buoy [toebutt769] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the real challange is peeing through a flipturn with paddles, pool buoys and snorkel

but seriously you can do normal flipturn with the front snorkle? I have no problems with paddles or PB and only sometime lose a kickboard between the thighs but when fliping with the snorkel I have to rotate a lot further than normal and push of almost straight as the snorkel is otherwise twisted on my forehead.

I allways thought that is normal as others feel the same but maybe that is just my less than optimal style...

Quote Reply
Re: Flip Turns w/Pull Buoy [berchrker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
berchrker wrote:
it just takes a little practice to learn to flipturn with paddle an pullbouy or pullkick (the kickboard/pullbouy combo)

we start from the top
- head folds in and looks at belly button,
- arms either go downwards so they pointforward as fast as possible (the easy way) or go backwards (the shortest and most efficient way) (dont try to use your arm to turn around while flipping, it wastes energy, can hurt your shoulders since you are wearing paddles, and often end up in sending you in the wrong direction, where pushing off first and then pointing the right way fixes it.)
-fold at hip
- depending on technique and old or new school, bend more or less in your knees (remember that the pullbouy should stay between legs without you engaging the adductor muscles, so relax thouse beeping legs!!!)
- feet dorsal flex so they are ready to push off.

- push off with entire leg.
- careful with the dolphin kicks, as they may move the pullbouy.
-turn around so you have belly down and keep going.

et voila you have made a flip turn with bouy and paddles, remember to practice, practice and practice some more.

if you are using one of the pullkicks that do not have the hourglass shape that makes it easy to hold between the legs, you might have to tighten your adductor muscles when flipping, but remember to relax afterwards.

if you struggle a lot to keep the bouy between legs and it jumps out, you can take the strap from a pool belt at hold it snug till you get it down the the art :)

edit: here is a video of a pile of flip turns, some of them are great others not so much, but look at it and focus on how they dont move their arms more than highly necessary and bend their legs (dont look at the silly kids turning around before pushing off)

Thanks very much for the tips
Quote Reply
Re: Flip Turns w/Pull Buoy [jakob1989] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It just takes a little practice....I do have to lift my head as I start my streamline otherwise I rip the snorkel off to the side of my face, but I finish my turns on my back/side, so there's rotation as I streamline....I don't change that, I just lift my head a bit so I get the "obstruction" tucked in my "wake"...it's still somewhat comical but it works.

Most entertaining part for me is when I zone out & turn my head to breathe...que sputtering.

I can flip much easier with a pull buoy & paddles than I ever can with fins on...thankfully thats rare.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the Finis Agility paddles, if they fall off at any point, then you are not maintaining positive pressure against the water. If you keep your hands in a "palm positive" position during the turn, or maybe even pinch your thumb a little bit... then they will stay on!

If you have any questions regarding Finis just ask!
Quote Reply