Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Wife's heart rate [SlammedStance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Read this, might give you some insight into what is going on. It does not have to be negative, so dial down any anxiety..

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...s/coachcorn/max.html
Quote Reply
Re: Wife's heart rate [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like she *may* have paced the race like a 10km, ave 185 for the first 10km then a drift in pace and HR down from there. Not a med professional but nothing unusual for mid high 180's for an hour or so.

If pace is low for a given HR check Iron, it is simple and easy to eliminate as probable cause. HR doesn't really change with low iron but pace at a given HR can be horrible if anemic.

(edit: meant to reply to OP)

Maurice
Last edited by: mauricemaher: Dec 18, 14 15:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is something i would at least have looked at by a cardiologist. My wife had a similar issue (non competitive but still active) where her HR would very quickly climb up to around 190-200 and just stay there for an hour. After a myriad of tests they said there is nothing they could find but said an sustained HR over 200 for extended periods of time is highly abnormal. The stress test and ECG were normal. My wife was around 22-23 when she had the tests and he heart still does this at 26.

There is also a big difference between 180 and over 200. My LT is 183 at 26 (male), resting HR of 45-50, and max HR around 208. I have seen other women who have high LT HR's around 185 but never over 190. If you can hold a real 200bpm for over an hour you are a serious outlier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could average 195ish for an oly when I was focused on tri's. Wish I had a husband and I'm 28... what's up with all these young wives?? I tried a hrm for a bit in high school swim practice and would see 240's. Not sure how accurate that was. I remember checking 6sec * 10 and it seemed about right. These days just cruising conversational pace (talking to my border collie) is 165-175. Averaged 162 for a VERY easy 14mi. Didn't wear the hrm (hate the strap, irritates my skin) for my last 5k (high 19) but would say definitely 190's the whole time.

"When the going gets tough, get going!"
Quote Reply
Re: Wife's heart rate [catwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies. It def helps convince her to get checked. She sees me do all these crazy ironmans and push beyond what I should and she believes she can too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SlammedStance wrote:
Thanks for the replies. It def helps convince her to get checked. She sees me do all these crazy ironmans and push beyond what I should and she believes she can too.

A few things:

1. 'Your wife' has a brain and can decide herself whether her heart rate is something to be concerned about
2. 'Your wife' could easily do 'crazy ironmans' too
3. 'Your wife' can push herself just as much as you can
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, have you put a finger on a vein and checked her pulse manually when she had the really high heart rates?
Quote Reply
Re: Wife's heart rate [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
So, have you put a finger on a vein and checked her pulse manually when she had the really high heart rates?

I am eager to hear the answer to this as well.

I bet the HRM was going funky for the 220+ workout.
Quote Reply
Re: Wife's heart rate [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Option C: She is really twins, each with a HR of 110-120.
Quote Reply

Prev Next