Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Transfer my existing bike fit to a new bike
Quote | Reply
Okay, I saw a thread not too long ago that was great. It talked about getting info off an existing bike that had been fitted to a person, they using this
to check frames on new bikes to see if it looks like things would be a decent fit. But I sure was not able to find it via the search feature.
Anyone have a better memory or search ability than me?

I currently am fitted to a 59. I assumed I would need a 61. But when I looked at one brand, like a Cervelo, the top tube length was much closer to what I have
on a 58 rather than a 61. I sure do not want to get a bike too big. 58's in any bike are much easier to come across than a 61.

Thanks.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Last edited by: h2ofun: Dec 14, 14 17:21
Quote Reply
Re: Transfer my existing bike fit to a new bike [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was this one: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t_reply;so=ASC;mh=25

But using "stack reach" in the forum search brought up several other frame size threads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will probably want stack and reach of your current frame, stem length, angle and pitch. And you will want current arm pad stack and reach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave,

Wanting to transfer your current fit to a new frame would presuppose an ideal current fit . Are you really confident in that being the case? At 6'5" it's tough for me to imagine you not needing a 61cm frame. Do you by chance have a picture of yourself riding in aero position on your current bike? If you're going to make the leap you might as well do it right.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Dec 15, 14 3:45
Quote Reply
Re: Transfer my existing bike fit to a new bike [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
Dave,

Wanting to transfer your current fit to a new frame would presuppose an ideal current fit . Are you really confident in that being the case? At 6'5" it's tough for me to imagine you not needing a 61cm frame. Do you by chance have a picture of yourself riding in aero position on your current bike? If you're going to make the leap you might as well do it right.

Hugh

I had my fit ordered via a fit process. I sent in all my measurements, went in the computer and said the stuff on a 59 would fit. Ves did this from Yaqui on my bike. So, I seem to fit fine. There is the question, how would one know if one is not "fitted". Since I could go to 10 fitters and probably get just about as many different answers, ....

so just trying to compare the fit data I have on my existing bike to new frames.

But, still a fair question.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is my fitted data on my existing bike from Ves.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P2 stuff

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
Dave,

Hugh

Yes, if I am going to spend this money, want to do it right.

So, I measured some of this on my existing bike and boy, weird stuff. The reach on my bike is 460. On a P2 61cm bike it is only 446. But what is even more interesting is my stack on my existing bike is 500, on a P2 61 it is 588.
I guess this is why my seat is so high on my existing bike, about 280.

So, not sure how my existing bike compares to new stuff.

Here is a picture riding the bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More questions than answers:

Will you be moving from 200mm cranks to shorter ones or have you done that already?

How long were the cranks you were riding in the picture?

Your seat in not too high if the picture represents a typical position.

Reach looks a bit short to my quick eyeball observation.

It also looks as if you should be able to get a bit lower in front without too much trouble.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
More questions than answers:

Will you be moving from 200mm cranks to shorter ones or have you done that already?

How long were the cranks you were riding in the picture?

Your seat in not too high if the picture represents a typical position.

Reach looks a bit short to my quick eyeball observation.

It also looks as if you should be able to get a bit lower in front without too much trouble.

YMMV,

Hugh

I have moved from 200's to 175's which is what I am riding in the picture.

The seat if where it was fitted, as the diagram shows, 805

But the stack is way way short compared to what I see others riding and what like the cervelo sells. So if I go with a 61, and the stack goes up about 100, and the seat stays at 805,
the front will come way up compared to what I have been using. So trying to figure out how I would get as low as I am today, distance from top of my seat to the top of
my aero bars, if I get a bike with a larger stack.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did you measure and where to?

500 sounds way too short for a bike with an external headset and 120mm headtube. Also keep in mind you have 2cm of spacers. If you want to get a bike and run it in the best configuration, then measure stack a d reach to the bottom of your stem.
Quote Reply
Re: Transfer my existing bike fit to a new bike [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And the only reason I ask is I get a stack and reach of 525, 465, to the top of the headset when measuring ves' drawing.

your bike is long and low by today's standards.

A felt DA is more up you alley but even that is a little short in reach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You would need a 130mm stem on a 58 NP2
61 would just mean making sure you got low stack bars (not the stock Profiles)
Longer aerobars would be a good thing too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runless wrote:
How did you measure and where to?

500 sounds way too short for a bike with an external headset and 120mm headtube. Also keep in mind you have 2cm of spacers. If you want to get a bike and run it in the best configuration, then measure stack a d reach to the bottom of your stem.

So exactly where does one measure for stack? I agree that I have spacers, and then the headtube. So if I measure into these, I get more than 500.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runless wrote:
And the only reason I ask is I get a stack and reach of 525, 465, to the top of the headset when measuring ves' drawing.

your bike is long and low by today's standards.

A felt DA is more up you alley but even that is a little short in reach.

Those numbers seem to be about what I get depending on how I measure.

And that is the question of fit. A P2 58 is only a reach of 437, a 61 is 446. These seem to be a lot shorter than what I am used to riding. How would one make up for this?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Longer stem or aerobars. Your aerobars do look fairly rearward by todays standards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know as a quick & dirty blush I take the bike and measure aero pads ~center contact to road (assuming same wheels). Tape measure can be done in store. And you can say OK do this and that is this measurement even doable?

Getting low enough is certainly a challenge on larger frames, same for me. I went with an L Guru and ordered a -ve stem just to hit the marks (~34.25" from road level, in TT trim)

Then went into a dizzy of measurements and calcs to confirm the stack is in fact the same as the medium E118 I have hanging on the wall. I had to do this to order up parts - stem & bars.

With your body and fit I would take a hard look at the Guru CR series as well, with the right stem you should be OK.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just measure your arm pad stack and reach and translate from there. Just use a little math to figure out how to get from frame stack to armpad stack on new bike. But again, this is supposing your current fit is "optimal." Judging from that pic you posted, it is not necessarily so.

http://www.cervelo.com/...e-71c6b8e317eb-0.pdf

Quote Reply
Re: Transfer my existing bike fit to a new bike [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
You would need a 130mm stem on a 58 NP2
61 would just mean making sure you got low stack bars (not the stock Profiles)
Longer aerobars would be a good thing too.

A positive about a shorter stack is it sure is easier to get ones leg over the big to get off.

So if I understand this right, if I had a smaller frame in stack, like maybe I have now, one can make up for fitting
with different stems as you point out for stack.

But if I get the stack the same, then adjust my seat the same, as you say, it looks like my aero bars will have to be different so
I get the same drop from the seat to the aero bars that I have now.

Quote Reply
Re: Transfer my existing bike fit to a new bike [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
just measure your arm pad stack and reach and translate from there. Just use a little math to figure out how to get from frame stack to armpad stack on new bike. But again, this is supposing your current fit is "optimal." Judging from that pic you posted, it is not necessarily so.

http://www.cervelo.com/...e-71c6b8e317eb-0.pdf

What would I change in my setup?

Quote Reply