Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: One smoothie to rule them all, one smoothie to bind them: A smoothie state of the union address [Swanson234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morning smoothie = Coffee

Lunch Smoothie = Water

Dinner smoothie = Beer or wine

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Re: One smoothie to rule them all, one smoothie to bind them: A smoothie state of the union address [caffeinatedtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
caffeinatedtri wrote:
1 cup of chia seeds with a 1/2 cup of flax? Hate to go here but you must own stock in charmin ?

No, bought stock in Charmin after hearing about the guy who puts cayenne and turmeric powder in his smoothie. I ve been putting that stuff in my tea as i've been trying to do a natural liver cleanse.
Last edited by: Swanson234: Oct 21, 14 14:56
Quote Reply
Re: One smoothie to rule them all, one smoothie to bind them: A smoothie state of the union address [fireant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fireant wrote:
Where's the peanut butter?

I ve never added peanutbutter to a smoothie before. It's on my bucket list though.
Last edited by: Swanson234: Oct 17, 14 19:52
Quote Reply
Re: One smoothie to rule them all, one smoothie to bind them: A smoothie state of the union address [TriMomof5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriMomof5 wrote:
Try making your own full fat greek yogurt. It's super easy!

Gently heat one gallon organic, whole milk to 180 degrees F.
Cool to about 115 degrees F.
Stir in one half cup plain active yogurt with live cultures.
Cover bowl with a dish towel and place in your oven, door closed, oven light on. Let sit overnight. The oven light provides all the warmth needed to grow the cultures.
In the morning, you will have a bowl of yogurt!
To make greek yogurt, line a strainer or colander with cheesecloth. Gently pour or scoop the yogurt into the colander. Gather the cheesecloth up, twist loosely and secure with a twist tie.
Place the colander in a bowl to catch the whey. Place in fridge to cool and drain the whey. You can save the whey and drink it, add it to smoothies, soup, feed to your dog. Whatever.
The yogurt will take a few hours to drain. If it's too thick for your liking, stir a little of the whey back in. Store the yogurt in a covered container and enjoy. It is the best yogurt ever!!!!

Frying up a pork chop was the pinnacle of my cooking skills 8 months ago, but i've been growing. I might go ahead and put your recipe into action.

My one question: does a batch of this last a long time in refrigerator, or do you have to freeze it?
Last edited by: Swanson234: Oct 21, 14 14:59
Quote Reply
Re: One smoothie to rule them all, one smoothie to bind them: A smoothie state of the union address [Swanson234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swanson234 wrote:
fireant wrote:

I ve never added peanutbutter to a smoothie before. It's on my bucket list though.

Well I did it. At first I was like Scotty from star trek telling myself, "She can't handle chunky natural peanut butter captain!".

Well I took out half the chia seeds and added nat peanutbutter and kicked up the blender to warp 10. The end result was pretty damn good. Was like a baskin robbins peanutbutter cup sundae. She took every ounce of that chunky peanutbutter with a smile. Clean up is another issue..
Last edited by: Swanson234: Oct 21, 14 15:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my daily Breakfast:

1.5 Frozen Banana
Crapton of Peanut Butter - Big Spoon - creamy, not chunky
Capfull of Chia Seeds
Cinnamon
Small spoon of Hershey Cocoa Powder - the cooking kind...
Almond Milk

Not very scientific but it's GOLD. If the frozen Mangos go in or Frozen Blueberries, then I add a little Honey.

Why don't we take a 5 minute brake...?
Quote Reply
Re: One smoothie to rule them all, one smoothie to bind them: A smoothie state of the union address [aTomic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
almond milk is a complete ripoff, dont waste money on it, look at how much it costs compared to almonds,

one cup frozen berries
two bananas
one kiwi
juice of half a lime
about half cup of greek yogurt
half cup coconut milk (not coconut beverage)
a few ice cubes optional
20 grams worth of whey
Quote Reply
Re: One smoothie to rule them all, one smoothie to bind them: A smoothie state of the union address [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Serious question - I dont make a lot of smoothies because I hate cleaning the darn blender! What do you smoothie regular folks do about it?

I let the blender soak for a little bit, the knock everything out with a standard issue sink brush, then hand wash.

You people are way too creative.

strawberries
banana
grapes
whole milk

Drink with bacon/egg/potato/cheese breakfast tacos. Because the breakfast tacos are more important than the smoothie. Get over it.

Robert Dao
ATC Racing - Austin, TX
Gold's Gym Triathlon Coach
@speedao1
@daotraining
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swanson234 wrote:
fireant wrote:

One of the years funniest lines.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swanson234 wrote:

Frying up a pork chop was the pinnacle of my cooking skills 8 months ago, but i've been growing. I might go ahead and put your recipe into action.

My one question: does a batch of this last a long time in refrigerator, or do you have to freeze it?

Most homemade yogurt should be fine in the fridge for a week or so. It won't so much spoil as will eventually grow mold, usually around the lip of the container. That being said, white or blue mold are fine (unless you have specific allergies). Just scoop it off and throw it out. Black mold though, say good bye to the food.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: One smoothie to rule them all, one smoothie to bind them: A smoothie state of the union address [goregrind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goregrind wrote:
almond milk is a complete ripoff, dont waste money on it, look at how much it costs compared to almonds,

Then make your own almond milk, (here is a favorite almond/hazelnut recipe) it's easy and awesome:

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Hazelnut-Almond-Milk-Recipe-32369591

I substitute honey or maple syrup for the dates. Then use this in smoothies with spinach, banana, and vanilla protein.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One cup of chia seeds + 1/2 cup of flax, Swanson? Good gravy that sounds ridiculous. My tip is to let the chia seeds soak in water for a short while first. They will turn into a gel and you won't get that chia seeds stuck in your teeth feeling for hours afterwards. I've never tried soaking flax first.

My usual breakfast is a smoothie made from:
1.5 cups Coconut Milk
1.0 cups Kefir (it's a fancy yogurt-like beverage)
0.5 cups OJ
2 scoops of banana flavored Muscle Milk
2 tbsp Chia Seeds (pre-soaked)
1 tbsp MCT oil
1 tbsp Glutamine (supposed to aid in recovery / feeds the immune system)
1 tbsp Tart Cherry Juice (as an anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant)

It's far from a low-carb drink but so, so good. I should follow Swanson's lead and toss in some spinach too, though I might have a hard time actually pulling the trigger on that move initially.
Quote Reply
Re: One smoothie to rule them all, one smoothie to bind them: A smoothie state of the union address [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Serious question - I dont make a lot of smoothies because I hate cleaning the darn blender! What do you smoothie regular folks do about it?

blenders can clean themselves - chuck some dishwash liquid and water in it and give it a spin - will clean most things off in seconds. then give it a quick rinse and leave to drain dry. pays to cover the top with a cloth or something if you don't want a fountain as most blenders have some form of gaps in the lid which soapy water makes good use of ;)
Quote Reply
Re: One smoothie to rule them all, one smoothie to bind them: A smoothie state of the union address [HiImRob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HiImRob wrote:
You people are way too creative.

This.

3 bananas
a pint-ish of strawberries
glob of vanilla yogurt
scoop of vanilla protein powder
peanut butter or peanut butter powder if I'm feeling exotic
blended with coconut water

...makes about 60-70oz depending on how much goes in. Kill it over an hour or so in the mornings...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kale
Apple
Beet
1 tablespoon PB powder or a handful of nuts
1 square dark chocolate
1/4 cup old fashioned oatmeal
Cinnamon
Wee bit of honey
Cup of milk
Ice
Frozen blueberries
1 tablespoon ground flax
1 tablespoon chia
1 scoop green superfood

Easier and tastier than it looks.

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Re: One smoothie to rule them all, one smoothie to bind them: A smoothie state of the union address [fe_dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some far too complicated recipes here! When I have the time, it's good to be creative, and there is some inspiration here, but my standard pre weight session smoothie this morning consisted of:

1 scoop neutral whey protein
200ml almond milk
half a banana
handful of blueberries
1 tablespoon natural peanut butter
BLITZ!

If I'm using unsweetened almond milk, I'll use a bit of honey to sweeten it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife just ordered me a Vitamix for Christmas so this thread is good inspiration. Is it true these things will blend (smoothefy?) just about anything? (for some reason the scene from Fargo comes to mind) I hope to also use this to get my kids to eat more fruits and veggies!
Quote Reply
Re: One smoothie to rule them all, one smoothie to bind them: A smoothie state of the union address [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Is it true these things will blend (smoothefy?) just about anything?

Yep. I got one earlier this year. It's pretty awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: One smoothie to rule them all, one smoothie to bind them: A smoothie state of the union address [fe_dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every 2 days I make my juice mix from the juicer; big beet, 2 apples, few celery stalks, 3 carrots, 1/2 cucumber, 1/2 lemon or orange, ginger.

Then after a workout or for breakfast I'll use one cup of this juice, another cup of water, handful of kale, blend.
The;
1/2 frozen banana
few frozen strawberries
1/2 handful of blueberries
spirulina powder
2 small scoops of Syntha 6 strawberry.

Blend then add a little ground flaxseeds
Quote Reply

Prev Next