Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheel advice
Quote | Reply
I'm getting rid of my Powertap rear wheel for a P2M power meter. I was racing with an 808 FC front and the rear p-tap wheel with a disc cover. I'd also like something a little shallower than an 808 for the front for super windy races. I'm looking at 2 options

1. Buy an 808FC rear and get a disc cover. Pick up a 404 down the road.

2. Sell my 808 front and buy a FLO 60/Disc combo. Its the cheaper of the 2 options and the 60 would be good in all wind conditions. I could probably get a FLO 90 down the road and run that with the disc.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel advice [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All I can tell you is I have a Flo 60/90 combo that I really like but I've not ridden on 808s

Jason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi ffmedic84,

The advantages of your first option is basically better acceleration since the wheels are marginally lighter than the flo wheels.
404 Firecrest Carbon Clinchers is 740g, 808 rear Firecrest CC is 840g. Disc cover is around 400g. Your total is 1980g Downside is it will cost more.
Flo cycling 60 front is 875g, and the disc is 1260g, putting you at 2135g. Difference of 155g. So negligible.

So if you're okay with an additional 155g on your bike, then your second option would be the way to go!

Hope this helped! happy training!

Yu Hsiao,
your local professional triathlete from San Francisco Bay Area.
http://www.facebook.com/yuxsjaoracing
http://www.yuxsjao.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go with the Flo 60 or 90 front with the Flo Disc. The extra grams are so minimal and you can put the money towards other trip related expenses (which is endless....).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not sure the Flo 60 would be more stable than an FC 808. Zipp did some pretty good design work specifically to improve cross-wind handling. I don't really think Flo's CFD work focused on handling and their wind tunnel work was an exercise in proof of concept (I.e., demonstrate that the finished product worked well).

While the Flo's are great wheels for the money (I own a set of 60s), they lack the mega dollar design effort that companies like Zipp put into their wheels. For example, I think Specialized tested about 30 prototype wheels when they designed the new Rovals.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel advice [hammer294] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not so worried about weight more so performance. I really just need a rear wheel since I have the 808 front. I like the idea of having a true disc in the back even though a wheel cover on an 808 would do just fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Boyd. I have their disc it is great.
Quote Reply