Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stuck crank and pedal disassembly
Quote | Reply
What's the trick to getting crank arms and pedals unstuck? Trying to take them off and have tried pedal wrench and Allen wrenches on the pedals (yes going correct direction) and they seemed to be locked in. Same with the crank (Truvative with Allen bolt on non drive side) Been a long while since I last took them off. I don't think I'm a 98 lb weakling. Maybe a 160 lb one though. Any tricks to getting them off?
Quote Reply
Re: Stuck crank and pedal disassembly [Jonathan22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get a longer lever. I bought a 3 foot steel tube about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. I use it as a last ditch effort by extending the length of my tools, to remove things that are really stuck. Should be able to fit it over the end of a pedal wrench.
Quote Reply
Re: Stuck crank and pedal disassembly [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a dead blow mallet on a pedal wrench to break loose a tight one.
A cheater bar on the crank wrench should work there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The trick: Put the cranks through a few hot cold cycles.

1. Take crank off bike
2. Boil water
3. Place pedal and crank end in boiling water for a few minutes
4. Take crank out of hot water and place it in your freezer for about 15min or so.
(repeat for other side)

Now get that pedal wrench out and it should start to move freely after a few taps from a rubber mallet.

This process has worked every time. Even on a used cross bike that I got which had clearly been ridden hard an put away wet (as the saying goes). Then for the love of Pete, but some lithium grease on those threads before putting pedals back on.

...your're welcome:)
Last edited by: beston: Nov 27, 14 17:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what's the BB system? Is it a splined ISIS w/ self extracting bolts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pb blaster. Come back in the morning.
Quote Reply
Re: Stuck crank and pedal disassembly [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done this with a small torch used for copper plumbing too by heating the pedal axle & then dumping in ice water. I didn't bring it up bc it was a crank worth losing.

beston wrote:
The trick: Put the cranks through a few hot cold cycles.

1. Take crank off bike
2. Boil water
3. Place pedal and crank end in boiling water for a few minutes
4. Take crank out of hot water and place it in your freezer for about 15min or so.
(repeat for other side)

Now get that pedal wrench out and it should start to move freely after a few taps from a rubber mallet.

This process has worked every time. Even on a used cross bike that I got which had clearly been ridden hard an put away wet (as the saying goes). Then for the love of Pete, but some lithium grease on those threads before putting pedals back on.

...your're welcome:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do this at your own risk but what I've done is this: put the pedal wrench at a slight angle from the crank arm. So say on the drive side if the arm is at 3 oclock from the bb, then the pedal wrench is at 8 oclock or 8:30 from the pedal axle. Then stand with your foot on the pedal wrench, carefully applying weight. Again, do at your own risk as a last resort and depending on at what angle your pedals are stuck, you might not be able to put the wrench at that angle and you won't get the correct leverage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had good luck with soaking the pedal threads with WD40. I just laid the bike on the side and sprayer WD40 into the rear thread of the bottom paddle multible times over the span of a few hours. came off very easily afterwards.
Quote Reply