Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Inner knee pain
Quote | Reply
I've been having some inner knee pain on my left leg. It has to be from cycling because I haven't really been running for the past monthish. I got fit on my tri bike about a month ago. Moved things around a bit including moving my legs away from the top tube a bit to get my legs moving straight up and down.

It was a slow discomfort that wasn't preventing me from riding at all, but this last week it has gotten worse and hurts just to straighten my leg right now. Actually, it doesnt hurt to straighten my leg but when i straighten it and bend over to stretch, it hurts a lot and I can't bend nearqly as far as usual. It's pretty much the whole inside of my left knee, muscle not bone. It even travels to the back of my leg a bit.

This has seriously hampered the solid training I was building on and hoping to continue through the winter to build a really solid base so I could improve next season. Any ideas what this could be from? Anybody go through something similar? Should I go see a physical therapist?

Thanks for the help!
Last edited by: teichs42: Nov 27, 14 7:23
Quote Reply
Re: Inner knee pain [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Google Media Patella Retinaculum. A lot of (and I mean a lot) of cyclists are having trouble with this
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My tips are to not mess around. It's November and you can still have a solid winter. Rest two weeks, leave it alone. No stretching or "testing it" until after the 2 weeks then reevaluate. Then think of strengthening and gradual return

This comes from my inner knee experience with Pes anserine tendonitis after ramping up too quick after a month off from a vasectomy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just (hopefully) getting over some similar pain on the inside of my left knee as well.

I have just built up a bike frame for the turbo over winter and threw on a spare spare of pedals and started using it about 6 weeks ago - the pain seems to have developed from there. Looking for possible causes - initially I thought it was from running - I found that pedals (Shimano SPD-SL's) had differing amounts of float which I hadn't noticed from the adjustment at the rear of the pedal, the right having much more than the left which was keeping that leg more 'straight'. They had been sat in a tool box for a couple of years.

I loosened the float allowing more movement and found that I naturally rode with the foot pointed slightly inwards and two weeks later the inner knee pain is much improved. It is entirely possible that the bike fit has moved your legs away from your more naturally comfortable position and contributed to the pain. The knee pain I had took the same amount of time as yours to manifest itself and, like you, could run and ride despite the pain. Surprisingly it was actually less painful when running or riding than during normal activities.

Might be worth reverting to pre fit bike position initially to see if that improves things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you talked with your fitter about this? My first instinct is that you might want to move the foot back in towards the crank arm a bit.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Inner knee pain [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have chronic kne problems and one of the things I did to help was what Travis suggested. I decreased pedal stance. But DO talk to your fitter before you start tweaking. And rest it please. Don't end up like me with destroyed knees
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your bike fit is likely asking to much of you.
Ie you cannot reach under load the bottom of your stroke, so your body drops and rotates forward the right hip. Brings your RHS into line at the expense of the left.
Ensure you have adequate arch support in your bike shoes
Lower your saddle 10mm to start.. Re-asses with a slow build at low effort.. Build the volume but keep effort low for a few weeks.. You are trying to allow recovery and adaption in this time NOT training as such.
Read all fit articles on steve Hoggs website and see how you go...
Quote Reply