Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

shipping bike via FEDEX to IMTX-thoughts?
Quote | Reply
Need some feedback from y'all that have traveled and done IM's. Trying to find that sweet spot between reduced costs and bike integrity. FedEx will ship my bike from my location to my IMTX hotel for $98 and 3-4 days, with 5K insurance. I've never had any issues with my bike using a hard-shell case, so I'll use that for FedEx.

I would normally take it with me, but I've got vouchers for United that cover the cost of my flight, but they want to charge me $150 each way for the bike!

Tribike would cost more than FedEx, and I would rather dis/assemble my bike myself.

Thought about a airline size compliant bike case, but would still cost more than FedEx, and trying to keep outflow to a minimum.

Ideas? Anybody used FedEx for their bike?

I'll bring my wheels, pedals, and shoes with me in case worst case scenario hits and I have to rent a bike there...
Quote Reply
Re: shipping bike via FEDEX to IMTX-thoughts? [lanceman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've successfully used FedEx for my bike twice now. Also, check out bikeflights.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just did this for IMAZ. Super simple and used bikeflights.com to generate the labels. Obviously some people would ask why deal with the pain of picking up and dropping off and having to break down your bike to save $150 or so round trip. For me it was just easier logistically as the drop off location for tribike is pretty far away (~40 mins to an hour) and I didn't want to deal with the drive/extra time without a bike for tribike.

Didn't have any issues and took my time packing.

Make sure you have the supplies to pack it back up. Tape, scissors for tape, label, etc.

I just had mine shipped to a local fed ex facility and it was ready for pickup at my conveience. Shipped it monday, I flew out wednesday morning. By the time I got my car and was near race site, the bike was ready for pickup. No complaints from me on shipping.
Last edited by: zachboring: Nov 26, 14 9:40
Quote Reply
Re: shipping bike via FEDEX to IMTX-thoughts? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've also used bikeflights.com for bike shipping.

Another to check out is shipbikes.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found shipbikes.com to be much less expensive than Fedex (although they ship the bikes via fedex). It was about $50 (which was $70 less the Fedex wanted). That included insurance, too.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: shipping bike via FEDEX to IMTX-thoughts? [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently shipped my bike from Montana to Florida and back via FedEx. Approx. $140 going to Florida, shipped to a residential address. Just under $100 back to Montana, shipped to a business address. Shipping was 6 days each way. Lesson: Ship to a business address if you can to save money.

I used a hard case made by TriAll3 sports and for the most part had no issues. One latch was broken in shipping, and my seatpost screw rattled completely loose and got stuck between the frame and plastic part of the travel case and I thought I lost it. Lesson: Tighten all screws down or completely remove them and bag them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, all, for the info! Very re-assuring that you've done it before with postive results...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do it all the time, and FedEx has never been a problem. Here's a couple of tips:

• Put your return label in the box (you can generate a return label about 6 days out, so do it just before you leave), along with the plastic sleeve it goes in. I also use the large plastic hang tag to hang on the handle of the bike box, along with the white zip tie (the FedEx folks will know what you mean if you ask for it) because the plastic sleeve won't still well to the plastic case. All that goes in the box. In the rare chance that you can't make it to the race, it's a phone call to the front desk of the hotel to pull the return tag, slap it on the box, and have it come home.
  • I usually have FedEx hold the box at the local retail FedEx store where I ship. That way, I don't miss the delivery at home and have to wait for the re-delivery, or worse yet, have to retrieve the box from the hub location. The retail FedEx store calls me when it's arrived, and I pick it up after work on the way home.
  • A few rolls of electrical tape and some pipe insulation sleeves from Lowe's will speed your re-pack, so put them in the box along with scissors.
  • I always put several sheets of paper with my name, address, and phone number inside the box, usually in each layer (below the bike, above the bike, with the wheels. You want your name and address to be easily found if something goes awry.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cannot say enough good things about bikeflights.com. They took care of me from start to finish and I felt great about the whole experience. If you fly with the bike, you deal with the hassle of transporting it, taking care of it, and the possibility of TSA rifling through the box during their check, repacking it sloppily and having it possibly damaged in the process. And I shudder when I think of people putting bikes in those softer cases - though I have no experience with them. I got a used Trico Iron case for about $170 (the guy had used it only once!) and then paid about 140 to ship it from VA to Miami round trip (that's with insurance added too, it's cheaper than that without insurance). Pack bike, drop off at fedex, it gets there, you assemble it real quick and race. Then afterwards, pack it up, slap the return label on, and then drop off at the hotel concierge and have fedex come pick it up for return delivery home. I can't imagine any other stress free way to move a bike to races that aren't close to home at that price point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My husband works for Delta, so we have an interline deal with FedEx, hence I just shipped my bike back from IMAZ. FedEx gives us a screaming deal so I use them ALL the time.

If you insure the bike, you (or someone) will need to sign for it. Hence you have to sit around sometimes all day waiting for them to show up if you have it a residence. If you do not insure, you don't have to sign and they will just leave it. Insurance can drive up the costs as much as double the shipping. Check your homeowners policy and see if the bike would be covered under damages there, if so, you can skip the added Fed Ex insurance.

Someone above suggested to ship to a local Fed Ex location where you can pick at will. Good idea. Better than waiting around all day. Local Fed Ex will call you when it arrives.

Be careful on the weight. I've gotten conflicting stories from them, so I always make sure mine (hard case) is under 50 pounds.
Quote Reply
Re: shipping bike via FEDEX to IMTX-thoughts? [Kscycler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great suggestions! Thanks very much...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I shipped bikes about 12x this year (one way) all on Fed Ex or bikeships.com, which uses fed ex. never had an issue except when fedex didn't remember to pick my bike up for a few days.

Just pack it well. When it gets sorted it gets put on a cart on it's side, then placed faced down on the belt then turned back on it's side and eventually lands on your doorstep.

As long as you pack it for a 365 rotation you'll be fine. I actually don't really use all that packing material on my bikes, especially compared to my gf. As long as you pack it well it should be fine.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: shipping bike via FEDEX to IMTX-thoughts? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bikeships.com?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as others have said bikeflights.com is amazing, and had no problems with fedex, used them maybe 10 times now at least, i have had them drop off the package at hotels, personal and business addresses all work great.
Quote Reply
Re: shipping bike via FEDEX to IMTX-thoughts? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.shipbikes.com/

They use FedEx but you get a considerable discount compared to getting pricing directly from FedEx.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just used bikeflights.com to get my bike from Michigan to Texas. I was 100% satisfied and would use them again.
Quote Reply