Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Other Hawaii triathlons?
Quote | Reply
I'll never qualify for the Kona championships -- in fact it's unlikely I'll ever do an ironman distance tri. But it would be fun to take a touristy vacation to somewhere in Hawaii and do an olympic triathlon while I'm in the neighborhood. I see there are numerous to choose from. Anybody have any first-hand experience with any of them? What is the ambiance like? How well are they run? How many participants? Looking for recommendations.
Quote Reply
Re: Other Hawaii triathlons? [Steve B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you'd up the distance a bit there is the Honu 70.3 on the Big Island end of May, beginning of June annually. This will get you the middle of IM Kona bike course. Swim is at beautiful Hapuna Beach. Run is around the Mauna Lani resort area with a significant portion of it on golf courses and off road.

The Big Island also offers the Lavaman Olympic distance races. Normally, Waikoloa in March and Keauhou in November (originally August/September). But this year the Keauhou was cancelled due to permit hassles. Hopefully this isn't permanent. The Waikoloa race always sells out fast and is sold out for 2015 already. Sometimes late slots open, but they go quickly. This is a great race and very well run. Over time it has grown a lot and is now a Team in Training event which can make for a very crowded race course.

For 2014 there was a new Oly tri started in Hilo that received great reviews too. July event.
Quote Reply
Re: Other Hawaii triathlons? [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Honu. Heading over this year to do it for the 4th time since 2008.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve B wrote:
I'll never qualify for the Kona championships -- in fact it's unlikely I'll ever do an ironman distance tri. But it would be fun to take a touristy vacation to somewhere in Hawaii and do an olympic triathlon while I'm in the neighborhood. I see there are numerous to choose from. Anybody have any first-hand experience with any of them? What is the ambiance like? How well are they run? How many participants? Looking for recommendations.

I heard all the races are good, and I can tell you from racing Ironman Hawaii twice that if you want to see the Island you are better off not doing it in conjunction with a full Ironman anyway.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kawela Endurance Triathlon on Oahu, http://www.bocahawaii.com/KawelaTriathlon2014.htm, was run for the first time this fall. The swim is at Kailua Beach on the east side. Then the bike goes up the North Shore past all the famous surfing beaches through Haleiwa and the run is at Camp Erdman in Waialua. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!! The first year of the race was a big success and I'll bet in the future this race will be ''huge''!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thumbs up for Lavaman Keaohou (and by extension Lavaman Waikoloa) - you get to race on part of the Kona IM course, and stay in Kona. Great excuse for a holiday to Kona to check out all the locations you see on Ironman TV coverage - and to see the rest of the Big Island.
I did it back in 2011 and it was well organised and good fun.
Just wishing I'd done a ride up Mauna Kea while I was there... next time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On Oahu, Tinman is my favorite olympic (or at least similar to olympic...the swim is a little short) by far. Long running event, well organized, very local, un-corporate feel while still being well run. Big turnout. The Honolulu Triathlon is also olympic. I don't care for it as much...it is marketed heavily to the Japanese market and it feels very corporate and the course is less fun. Similar to the Honolulu Marathon, you almost feel like an outsider if you are not from mainland Japan. Also, +1 for the Kawela Endurance half-distance on Oahu. This past year was the first, but it's a good, unique course run by people who know what they are doing. Oahu has needed a half distance event badly...this is the only one at the moment. I hope it grows.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another upvote for Lavaman Waikoloa. Nicely run race that actually shares some of Ironman bike course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sure others have said Honu 70.3 as it is a great race and gives you a taste of IM Hawaii as the bike is on the same course. The race is VERY VERY well run as it is MDOT brand and probably the same behind the scenes folks as the IM Hawaii race.

Depending upon goals and budget of your vacation I recommend staying on the property at Mauna Laua (SP?) in either a condo (best choice IMO especially with family or friends) or the hotel. EZ access to the race, and they have a great beach club which you will have access to.

Key item: Bring your own bike. Yes you can rent the best of the best bikes at the bike shops there. The bike conditions can be tough with the wind, but the views from roads are super beautiful. FWIW it will be most enjoyable on your own bike that you are comfortable already on. You will not want to miss anything because of a foreign (to you) bike.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Other Hawaii triathlons? [Roadhog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roadhog wrote:
On Oahu, Tinman is my favorite olympic (or at least similar to olympic...the swim is a little short) by far. Long running event, well organized, very local, un-corporate feel while still being well run. Big turnout. The Honolulu Triathlon is also olympic. I don't care for it as much...it is marketed heavily to the Japanese market and it feels very corporate and the course is less fun. Similar to the Honolulu Marathon, you almost feel like an outsider if you are not from mainland Japan. Also, +1 for the Kawela Endurance half-distance on Oahu. This past year was the first, but it's a good, unique course run by people who know what they are doing. Oahu has needed a half distance event badly...this is the only one at the moment. I hope it grows.

First of all, congratulations to Raul and the crew at Boca Hawaii for Kawela (the heat) Endurance Triathlon. I hope it grows and grows.

It looks like Tinman has been pushed aside by the Honolulu Tri. According to Trifind, it's now a short 1/4, 10, 3.1 sprint. Too bad, it looks like triathletes prefer corporate triathlons. I'm not from Oahu, but I come over often. Next trip for me will be for Xterra Freedom Fest with one of the North Shore Swim Series races on the weekend before or after. Trying to figure it out right now.

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like they said do a Honu or Lavaman. There are two Lavaman races every year one north of town one south. North you'd be cycling on Queen K. The swim and transition are not in Kailua for either race, but it is close. Lavaman last year the run turnaround was in Kailua. Not sure if it is every year. You'd still get to travel to Kona. You can swim in the Kailua bay on your own before or after the race. I've been all over and that's the best place to swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Other Hawaii triathlons? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tinman is still (or was this year at least) an Olympic distance triathlon with a short (750M) swim. I haven't heard anything about it being changed in the future.

And nobody that I know prefers Hon Tri to Tinman.
Quote Reply
Re: Other Hawaii triathlons? [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as Oahu goes, Tinman is a fun local event. I just wish they'd find a way to lengthen the swim and get it USAT-sanctioned. HonTri is an honest Olympic distance, but beware the Japanese cyclists as they tend to hog the left side of the lane and will not move out of your way. As mentioned, it's also kind of like the Honolulu Marathon where you'll feel very much like an outsider. Oh, and no awards either outside of the elite men/women. We have a number of sprints sprinkled around during the season as well. I hope Kawela 70.3 grows and becomes Oahu's premier race.

Otherwise, Big Island is your ticket. Honu is, in my opinion, the best race in all of Hawaii that us mere mortals can actually race in. Haven't done either of the Lavamans, but only heard good things.

Just make sure to leave your wetsuit at home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another two thumbs up for Honu 70.3. The swim is more beautiful than the full IM's, you bike on the best half, and the run...well, it's challenging. :-)

Then there's always Ultraman...

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Honu. It is an awesome race...and that run course will give you your money's worth!
Quote Reply
Re: Other Hawaii triathlons? [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
Tinman is still (or was this year at least) an Olympic distance triathlon with a short (750M) swim. I haven't heard anything about it being changed in the future.

And nobody that I know prefers Hon Tri to Tinman.

Most Excellent News, Craig! Thanks for correcting me. When I started looking at this summer trip, I looked on Trifind for Tinman and saw their mistake showing it as 1/4,10,3.1 and I kept looking. Now, my wife and I can start making the schedule around tinman. Hope to see you at the starting line!

For Steve B, don't miss the North Shore Swim Series;

http://www.hawaiiswim.com/nsss.html

Mahalo and Happy Thanksgiving

Quote Reply
Re: Other Hawaii triathlons? [paperwind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They could have it USAT sanctioned w/o it being a longer swim. There are races of all distances that are USAT sanctioned.

Loved the Tinman when I lived there. The run was the best part and beat any other Oahu tri hands down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm probably going to hate myself for devulging but the best race series in Hawaii is put on by Team Mango in Kona.
http://teammangoraces.com/
Simple, inexpensive, safe, well run. These races are what races used to be like when I started back in the 80's.
Quote Reply
Re: Other Hawaii triathlons? [Roadhog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roadhog wrote:
I thought the marathon was great because at 6'2", I could see over almost all 25000 people...
Quote Reply