Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Pula, Croatia 70.3
Quote | Reply
Registration opened a few weeks ago for the IM Croatia 70.3. I guess I am not very glued to the IM website or news. I noticed that this race opened and looked at the venue and thought that it would be really interesting. The run is supposed to finish in the amphitheater (6th largest in the world). What an awesome finish.

Needless to say I signed up.
Last edited by: grindmonkey: Nov 25, 14 14:04
Quote Reply
Re: IM Pula, Croatia 70.3 [grindmonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spent a week in Pula last summer. Excellent venue for a triathlon.

End of September should be great weather, less crowded and reasonable accommodation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Croatian coast is one of the best travel destinations if you like the beach the sun and the sea. I'm looking at this race too. Airline will be ~$1500 + whatever ripoff Delta or AA or United bike charges. That's about the only downside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet!

Will be in for next year for sure.
Heading back to see family anyway, so will make sure the timing works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

And all the Slivovic and Coke you can drink!!! Sounds awesome.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Croatia is amazing, spent a week on the island of krk and loved it. Also have to check out plitvice lakes national park, one of the top in the world. We flew into Venice, not a bad drive over from there and cheaper flight. Best of all, once you get to Croatia, exchange rate .16 USD/Kuna!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice venue for sure. Been to Pula a couple of times as a kid back in the late 90s. I'm sure it's a hoppin' place now too. I do remember the drive being a bit of a pain on the windy roads of the Istrian penninsula. We drove in from the northeast, though, so the drive from the Italian side may be better...
Quote Reply
Re: IM Pula, Croatia 70.3 [kollac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kollac wrote:
Nice venue for sure. Been to Pula a couple of times as a kid back in the late 90s. I'm sure it's a hoppin' place now too. I do remember the drive being a bit of a pain on the windy roads of the Istrian penninsula. We drove in from the northeast, though, so the drive from the Italian side may be better...

New toll highway through the entire Istrian peninsula.. makes travel a breeze. Getting through Slovenia (via Koper) and across the Slovenian border a bit slow though... bit of a goat track there still.

Croatia is my favorite place to vacation in Europe. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Pula, Croatia 70.3 [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tickets to Zagreb were $1400. So I looked up Venice. (We intend to drive over there anyway might as well it's pretty close.)

Cheapest $1000

Sweet!

Wait? Aeroflot Russian airline? FUCK NO!

Next cheapest was Turkish Airline at $1350 and then all the American ones $1400. So same cost essentially.

Russian airlines run on vodka.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Pula, Croatia 70.3 [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd not fly turkish either - they're one of the cheapest out of the ME, and they're S**t!

We've done Croatia a couple of times including Dubrovnik - London by Train Plane and Automobile - including the three alpine glacier trains (bernina, glacier and Mont blanc express) and the sleeper in to Venice

Pula is awesome - will be a great venue
Quote Reply
Re: IM Pula, Croatia 70.3 [MTranquilli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTranquilli wrote:
Croatia is amazing, spent a week on the island of krk and loved it.
My old man still has a house on Krk (my grandmothers house).
Was hoping to get back there last summer, but a crazy workload meant that wasnt to be.

Looking forward to going back next summer and seeing all my cousins.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thought I'd bump this thread as this race is only a few weeks away, and will be my 2nd 70.3!

Anyone know what the roads are like on the course? I'm wanting some extra speed so was thinking about buying some race tyres. Might be bad move though if the road quality isn't up to scratch.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Pula, Croatia 70.3 [AforEffort] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No idea, but please post a race report with all logistics info. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AforEffort wrote:
Thought I'd bump this thread as this race is only a few weeks away, and will be my 2nd 70.3!

Anyone know what the roads are like on the course? I'm wanting some extra speed so was thinking about buying some race tyres. Might be bad move though if the road quality isn't up to scratch.
Bad roads or no bad roads, if you are racing on clinchers you should be running GP4000S with latex tubes.

Have fun. I'm skipping the race this year. Crashed back in May and out for the season. The race sold out so it will probably be back next year. I want to do this one pretty badly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
AforEffort wrote:

Bad roads or no bad roads, if you are racing on clinchers you should be running GP4000S with latex tubes.

Have fun. I'm skipping the race this year. Crashed back in May and out for the season. The race sold out so it will probably be back next year. I want to do this one pretty badly.

I was thinking about supersonics with latex tubes, and carry pit stop as my flat protection. Enough puncture protection?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AforEffort wrote:

It's been a while, but I recall the roads being very good and smooth around Pula.

FWIW, I've done tons of gravel roads with Conti 4000S and latex tubes with ZERO flats. Unless there are Roubaix like cobbles in Pula (I doubt it), you'll be fine.
Last edited by: NordicSkier: Sep 3, 15 10:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did anyone here do this race? How was it? Besides the voided swim results because the buoys tore off the anchors?

I had to skip it this year. Thinking about racing next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will give a more detailed report when I get my computer up and running in a few days, but here is my thoughts after yesterday.

I will not do IM pula again unless some major issues are addressed.

Swim start was extremely slow getting people in the water.

1st half of the bike cause were some of the worst roads I have
ridden.

There were some safety issues that I will email to the race director/team before throwing them out to the forum.

Beautiful vacation spot and I will probably return for vacation... But not for the IM as it is now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny, I just spent 2 weeks in Croatia and got home today and had no clue there was even a race there. But I was south, sailing out of Split out to the islands toward Dubrovnik.

Croatia is fucking awesome. The favorable exchange rate, the unending seafood orgy, the cheap booze, the weather, the crystal clear water.... People in the USA are generally clueless about Croatia (unless they watch GOT and realize the locations are real, and not CGI).
Quote Reply
Re: IM Pula, Croatia 70.3 [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
No idea, but please post a race report with all logistics info. Good luck.

Did this, but started a new thread: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread

Rationale being that the next person who searches 'pula' will easily find the report as first post in the thread.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Pula, Croatia 70.3 [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sto wrote:
Funny, I just spent 2 weeks in Croatia and got home today and had no clue there was even a race there. But I was south, sailing out of Split out to the islands toward Dubrovnik.

Croatia is fucking awesome. The favorable exchange rate, the unending seafood orgy, the cheap booze, the weather, the crystal clear water.... People in the USA are generally clueless about Croatia (unless they watch GOT and realize the locations are real, and not CGI).

Shhh!!! Croatia doesn't need more Americans. ;-)

It's my favourite vacation destination.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't worry about it. We prefer Hawaii anyway. $300-$500 (depending on airline whims) roundtrip for us on the west coast. :p

Thanks for posting details of the race. I'm still considering it for next year. I would have been there, but crashed bad this past spring and was out all year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
sto wrote:

Shhh!!! Croatia doesn't need more Americans. ;-)

It's my favourite vacation destination.

Exactly! Stop posting about Croatia. We don't need a bunch of loud mouthed, Hawaiian shirt, croc wearing, ipad camera using tourists polluting the place.
Quote Reply