Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Jeep Wranger Bike Rack Advice
Quote | Reply
Hey Guys,

I have a Jeep Wrangler. I was looking at getting a spare tire rack, but I have a carbon Cervelo. I was told you don't want any kind of hanging rack for Carbon bikes. I guess because it can possibly damage the frame. My Jeep doesn't have a hitch so I don't want to really go that route. I guess what I am asking:

1. If I get a spare tire rack, will it damage my carbon frame?

2. Any other options? Roof rack. I am kind of short.

Anyone out there with any experience or ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: Jeep Wranger Bike Rack Advice [CTex65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CTex65 wrote:
Hey Guys,

I have a Jeep Wrangler. I was looking at getting a spare tire rack, but I have a carbon Cervelo. I was told you don't want any kind of hanging rack for Carbon bikes. I guess because it can possibly damage the frame. My Jeep doesn't have a hitch so I don't want to really go that route. I guess what I am asking:

1. If I get a spare tire rack, will it damage my carbon frame?

2. Any other options? Roof rack. I am kind of short.

Anyone out there with any experience or ideas?

no, I used one for years on my various carbon / aluminum and steel bikes. never an issue. contrary to popular belief, carbon frames don't explode.

The only thing that you would need to watch out for is that not all spare tire / trunk racks will work on bikes with aero tubes, especially in the smaller sizes. There just isn't space inside the main frame triangle for the support bars to fit.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.saris.com/...t/freedom-spare-tire

Best spare tire rack I've seen right there. I worked in a bike shop for 9 years, and we sold these to almost every Jeep Wrangler owner. Super solid, great quality, and no worries about hanging the bike by the frame. Saris is the only company I know of that makes a tray-style spare tire rack.
Last edited by: drewmc3656: Nov 25, 14 7:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What year wrangler? Bike plus rack on a spare tire mount is going to add another 40lbs at least with just a single bike, that is significant weight to put on a TJ tailgate without reinforcing it, I don't know about the JKs and what they can handle.

Personally I'd just put a hitch on it. A TJ hitch will run you a little over 100 bucks and a JK one will run you about 60.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a JK wrangler. I didn't like the spare tire option because I already run on mud tires which are heavy. Adding a hitch was very easy. Look at http://www.quadratec.com/...ts/12015_1000_07.htm. There are lots of hitch options but this will show you how they bolt on. Takes less than 5 minutes to add it and it bolts to the frame so very solid. Besides that leaves the option for a different bumper with a swinging tire mount later :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own a JK and have the Kuat NV hitch rack, amazing rack by the way! The tire racks are nice, but like said above be careful of the extra weight on the tailgate as well as fitment. If you have stock tires, probably not a big deal. If you have anything else else I'd advise against it and go with a hitch mounted rack. Depending on what year wrangler you have it is pretty simple to install a hitch receiver.

Quote | Reply
I have a JK and use this rack http://www.etrailer.com/.../Swagman/S64691.html It's amazing and I love being able to change the size depending on the number of bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which wrangler? They range from a YJ all the way to a huge 4 door JK.

A bike, size large frame, road and tri, fits in the back of a TJ with front wheel removed and the rear seat folded. It's tight but works. LOTS of space with the rear seat removed. No rack needed.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Nov 25, 14 14:56
Quote Reply
Re: Jeep Wranger Bike Rack Advice [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Guys,

I have a Jeep Wranger Unlimited. The 4 door. Polar Edition.

I am thinking I am going to go with the Saris. A little more expensive, but seems like the best fit for a carbon bike. ONE question though. Is it hard to take off or does it fold up nicely?
Quote Reply
Re: Jeep Wranger Bike Rack Advice [drewmc3656] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does it fold up nicely or come off easily? This one looks legit!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a 4 door, it's easy to mount fork chocks to the rear cargo lid cover and stow two bikes inside by laying down one rear seat.

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good info here, thx
Quote Reply