Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why am I slower with paddles? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we have to stop meeting like this.
Quote Reply
Re: Why am I slower with paddles? [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why wouldn't you be slower with paddles?
Do you have great swim form, very strong swim specific muscles, and a limit to your turnover.
No- most swimmers don't meet all of these conditions either.

How would you know?
Didn't see the 200m paddle swim at the last masters meet.
I have seen paddles used for form and strength.
Quote Reply
Re: Why am I slower with paddles? [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well truthfully if you are a fish you should be able to at least match your non paddle 50 with a slower turnover.

If you aren't a fish you will not have either the strength or the endurance for them (for fast 50's)

I don't believe you get much out of using paddles that are too big, I also don't think racing in them is a good idea.

And they don't have snorkel races, or swimfin races at Masters meets either.
Mores the pity, I'm wicked in fins.
Quote Reply
Re: Why am I slower with paddles? [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
phog wrote:
I use the term "strength based" for people who use power to overcome stroke inefficiencies (masher on a bike).
Once again not people you would typically swim with in a swim (fish) based group, but would in a Tri (brick) based group.
If a guy runs out of energy after one set of 8-50's at between 35 -40 secs, you have to believe he's pushing.

Sun Yang may be a strong swimmer even by Olympic swimming standards, but his dps is also otherworldly.
(too bad he dopes just a teensy weensy bit)

You gotta go swim with a Tri group to know what they are capable of, before applying your level of strength and stroke efficiency to them.
Really, it's a different world.

In your world I'm in lane 7 (in a 6 lane pool :0), in a Tri swim group sub 40, 50's for more than 1 set, would lead the group.
(a lot of the time).
It's one of the problems that comes about when swimmers give TRi guys advice.
It's like having Abebe Bikila explain running to me.

Those people who burn out early that you're describing are almost certainly slower than you even for short sets. They're just pacing their workouts incorrectly and thus burning out quickly. If you pushed as hard as they did for your ability on the early sets, I'll guarantee you'll be beating them on those short sets.
Quote Reply
Re: Why am I slower with paddles? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
why not ditch the paddles all together. They are a decent tool. But not needed to improve. If they are giving you trouble, why bother.

Oh and Jason is likely right: you're pull is too deep.

the "pull is too deep" was my guess as well - haven't seen him swim, but, that bit of mechanics really matters, and, I'll submit is a technique differentiator of significance.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply

Prev Next