Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Who loves there disc wheel? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
JoeO wrote:
Me too. I sold my Zipp 900 and only use a PT wheel now.

But I sure miss that "whoosh whoosh"

hED Jet with a PowerTap. Fast, durable, and accurate power numbers with oval chain rings. The only thing it lacks is that "whoosh" sound.

Why didn't you guys just go with crank-based power?

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Who loves there disc wheel? [Eddie31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eddie31 wrote:
There's Zipp and then there's everything else. I've raced on Zipp 900 since 2011 (808 front) and love it; however, my 2015 IM race doesn't allow disc wheels, so I have to figure something out. If you can find a 900 for $500 used...take it down. I like the advice of the earlier poster...buy the prettiest one.

Get a second hand rear Tri Spoke and put some new bearings in it. The bearings are cheap, dead easy to replace and you are left with a cheap wheel with great rolling capability. You will loose very little to a disc - and there is still a noise. Not the whoosh woosh of the disc though. Finding one can be a problem, once you tried it you will keep it.

http://mobile.twitter.com/BLambTriathlete
Athlete of the Week
Meet the Team
Headwear
Quote Reply
Re: Who loves there disc wheel? [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
808 rear with a cover. cheaper than a disc and damn near just as good.

or 1-3w faster than the zipp sub 9 (I think it was a sub 9) it was pitted against.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Who loves there disc wheel? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like the Renn Disc. Have trouble with fitting the crack pipe into the too small of an opening. What are you using with the Renn disc?
Quote Reply
Re: Who loves there disc wheel? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Link?

I just pulled the trigger on a Catalyst for my Flo 90 and would love to see some data justifying my purchase.

Edit: found it - http://www.wheelbuilder.com/aerodisc-data.html

Scott

Last edited by: GreatScott: Nov 26, 14 19:12
Quote Reply
Re: Who loves there disc wheel? [bcoker6885] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one of the first run Flo discs. It is the noisiest thing I have ever heard. But I will gladly sell it you cheap, really cheap!

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Who loves there disc wheel? [bcoker6885] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Recently bought a Zipp Super 9 clincher after selling my Corima clincher and 90 mm rear wheel as my new bike was 11-speed.

I haven't tried the Zipp yet, but couldn't tell the Corima disc and 90 mm apart besides the nice rumble from behind.

I run a HED3 alu clincher in front for better braking compared to my previous carbon clincher 60 mm.
Quote Reply
Re: Who loves there disc wheel? [Asbjorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got the ZIPP Super-9 cc and absolutely love it. It is the perect addition to my 808's and 202's (also both CC). I race the disc with latex-tubes in Conti TT 23mm tires and imho they absolutely fly. If you get into a "shrouded" section they do make the lovely whoosh-whoosh sound. The 808's are raced with 25mm GP-400s and the 202's typically with 28mm tirs (more comfort since these are raced when there is a LOT of climbing, so comfort and grip counts double). Most steep/long climbs in my races have bad road-surface

No need to worry about drafters because if they hear you passing with the disc, it means exactly that: you are passing them. They open theirselfes to a red-cards or a shower of ISO-drink.

I've raced Luxembourg 70.3 with the disc and posted my best bike-spilt position ever. I decided against them in 70.3 Wiesbaden and 140.6 Wales where I just went full 808 becasue of the high amount of climbing.

Have fun,

S.
Quote Reply

Prev Next